Fire Safety Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Fire Safety « Previous Next »

Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1787
Posted From: 75.108.82.163

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   

I@N, first, why can we not respond to your article?
Second, you left out out a very important check and that is checking for lint/dust in the electric toe kick heaters. That is what caused the fire in my bus.
Richard
Jim Shepherd (Rv_safetyman)
Registered Member
Username: Rv_safetyman

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 4.227.184.240

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   

Richard, I must have missed something here. This is the kind of thing I pay close attention to, since that is what my business is based on (fire detection/suppression systems).

Would you give us a link? I looked at the BNO home page and could not find any reference to an article.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Bus Project details: http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm (updated 10/26/06)
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member
Username: Ace

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 75.201.215.103

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   

Jim go down to the bottom of this posting section and see all the links that I@N has listed. There you will find what these guys are talking about!

Ace
Jim Shepherd (Rv_safetyman)
Registered Member
Username: Rv_safetyman

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 4.227.184.171

Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   

Thanks Ace. Must not have looked very hard, as it is fairly apparent after you pointed it out <grin>

I looked at both articles and they contain good information. Ian’s comments are also very important. I make a strong point at my seminars and in both of my Bus Conversion Magazine Articles about not trying to fight an interior fire in a bus/motorhome.

Shortly after Dave’s fire, he discussed his approach to fighting a fire with an onboard water system at one of the Bus Conversion Rallies. I was not in the business at the time, but was concerned about his approach.

When one considers exterior fires, the most prevalent are tire fires and flammable fluid fires in the engine compartment, followed by high amperage-low voltage electrical fires (also in the engine compartment). There are a couple of good studies that I discussed in both the BC articles (articles are posted on our website).

Water would be a rather poor fire suppression system for these types of EXTERIOR fires, especially considering the limited supply. Water would quickly spread a flammable fluid fire. A 10ABC extinguisher is also a bit limited for fighting these fires. In addition, a dry powder fire extinguisher results in some pretty significant secondary damage to aluminum structures and electrical systems. That is why they are not allowed anywhere close to aircraft.

Fire suppression technology has advanced greatly with foam and surfactant systems.

I discuss these systems at each of the Bus Rallies. At the FMCA rallies, either Mac McCoy or I present very similar technology.

I am always glad when fire safety comes up since we all need to be thinking about how we would deal with an emergency. However, I always live in fear that folks will consider my responses too commercial. I try to walk a very fine line, but always defer to trying to get good information reported

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Bus Project details: http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm (updated 10/26/06)

(Message edited by rv_safetyman on December 26, 2006)
Ian Giffin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 967
Posted From: 70.55.230.68

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   

Hi DML,

To get to your question, the articles you refer to have appeared on BNO since they were written back in 2000 or 2001 by Greg Moe. I have just moved the last of that section over here to the bulletin board as part of the revamp of my web site.

Because they are "Articles of Interest", authored articles designed to be read, much like a book, there is no provision for responses, also much like a book.

Coming up are articles from Gary LaBombard and Dave Galey.

Here's anyone's chance to write us an Article of Interest, as well. The 3 dozen articles here have been read and re-read by thousands of people in and out of our hobby, judging by my web statistics reporting software.

If you would like your own musings, tome or other words of wisdom to live on forever in an article on this web site, we would gratefully accept any compositions.

Thank you for your viewership and your opinions, as always!

Ian
www.busnut.com
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1790
Posted From: 75.108.79.87

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   

Thanks for the reply I@N. I really did not realize they were old articles. I read them years ago and forgot about them.
Richard

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration