Shower stall, To build or not to build Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Shower stall, To build or not to build « Previous Next »

Douglas Tappan (Dougthebonifiedbusnut)
Registered Member
Username: Dougthebonifiedbusnut

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 75.69.44.219

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   

Hey all of busnuts best and brightest.
I'm finding it almost impossible to find the stall I need so I think I may end up building it myself.So I'll be forever indepted to any an all who can point me the right direction
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 68.127.51.32

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   

Doug,

Some folks make a custom tile shower to fit whatever space they have available. I want to use a standard 32" or 34" neo/alcove pan and build my own walls. A local glass dealer will make me a custon size glass door with frame. The source I had for the pan has dried up (PPL)and I cannot find that size anywhere. If you find one in your search, please let me know.
Tim James (Tjames)
Registered Member
Username: Tjames

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 206.251.19.78

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   

check out www.showerbase2.com

they'll custom make any size base you need. i think they can do the wall sections too.
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 68.205.158.177

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:09 am:   

You didn't say if your base design was "different" than most,
or if you were only concerned with the wall area?

You can always buy a standard base at Home Depot or Lowes,
and use FRP panels for the walls. FRP is easy to cut and trim,
and is perfect for a shower. The door (or curtain) is the easy part.
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 72.91.107.56

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:31 am:   

Look at Gumpy's site - HTH
Ednj (Ednj)
Registered Member
Username: Ednj

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 67.85.229.237

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:48 am:   

Doug,
build your own, there's no better feeling.
You can see mine here= http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/?yguid=155252727 .
I bought the 32" base at Rv surplus in Elkhart, they have any size or shape you can dream of.
I bought the plexi glas and pvc trim at Lowes, I think they call it "No rot" for outside trim.
Simply cut the shape you need and glue together with clear PVC glue.
I'll send some picture's to I@n and see if he could add them here.
Frank Allen (Frank66)
Registered Member
Username: Frank66

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 207.200.116.13

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:21 am:   

I bought a standard house stall from lowes, cut the sides to fit in the 4106, worked well, fiber glass i think
Frank allen
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 76.1.180.218

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   

I made ours from scratch. The walls and floor are 3/4" plywood (4 floor panels are pie shaped and slope towards the drain). Entire shower was then fiberglassed using several layers of resin and fiberglass mat. This completely sealed the shower. We then installed ceramic tile on the floors and walls. Added a glass panel for one wall and a glass shower door. Jack
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 64.40.223.242

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   

This is what I did. covered walls with tile board and installed a shower door. I am very happy with the way it turned out. It's not glitzy, but it works for me.

Paul
Douglas Tappan (Dougthebonifiedbusnut)
Registered Member
Username: Dougthebonifiedbusnut

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 75.69.44.219

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   

Thanks All I forgot to mention I have a Crown and space is at a premium.I was looking for a 28"x28" or so. You can see why I'm having trouble finding something so small.Ednj, I am very interested in what you have done and would love to see pics! Jack, What did you use for mastic and grout I think your route might be the way I may go but Ednj sure seems to have an equally interesting idea I am a better phone person than I am a typwriter If Ednj and Jack could E-Mail their phone #'s I would love to speak to you directly
James Stacy (Jimstacy)
Registered Member
Username: Jimstacy

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 75.41.19.60

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   

We had a neo angle base made from "cultured marble" Local Kitchen & Bath shop will order whatever size and color you want. They provided a "banjo" shaped vanity top with integral bowl and backsplash in a matching color.

For me the 32' was too small and the 38" took up too much hallway space so we went 36". Unless you are a really trim, flexible person, 32 or smaller means if you drop the soap you have to get out to pick it up.

To save space we put the water valve and hose bib on the end of the vanity (forward wall of the shower). This allowed us to put Formica on the side wall and rear wall without spacing out for plumbing. The Formica on the outside wall was brought over the top in one piece. A shower curtain on a curved track takes much less space than a glass door and makes the bathroom seem more roomy.

One visitor to our rig said his wife would not let him use the shower in his new Prevost because it was too dificult to keep the glass clean! They just carried it around but couldn't use it.

A shower curtain folds back out of the way, doesn't show water spots, is easy to install, doesn't make noise while traveling, is inexpensive enough so it can be changed often, etc. Glass is traditional but not the only answer.

Use good fixtures if you can. The RV faucets are vacuum plated plastic; cheap but not very durable.

Good luck,

Jim Stacy
doug yes (Dougg)
Registered Member
Username: Dougg

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 75.89.30.43

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   

There is a plumbing supply here (Kempton & Self, Gainesville,FL) that sells full sheets and shower bases of a cultured marble that looks fantastic. It's pricy but you cut three sheets to size, glue them up and it looks like a high end bath.
Ian Giffin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 992
Posted From: 64.187.39.62

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:10 am:   

Ednj asked me to drop these pictures into this thread:

1 2

Ian
www.busnut.com
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess)
Registered Member
Username: Sffess

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 67.142.130.58

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   

You might try using a shower cutain instead of a door on a unit that small. A curtain allows you to use a little of the space beyond the shower when you move. If you put a trap and drain in the bathroom floor also, cleanup of any spash would be easy.

If you decide to build it yourself, a good idea, be aware that epoxy is more waterproof than polyester or polyvinyl resin. Epoxy also has an indefinite shelf life. I have some that is over 20 years old and still useable. If you form your own pan with fiberglass, or Carbon Fiber for extreme stiffness in a very thin lay up, you can gain a little headroom. you could even put the pan directly on the frame to gain another 3/4 inch if you use carbon fiber. My shower is a neo angle design with one wall longer than the other and a 9 inch high front so it can be a tub if desired. It is tiled over a plywood base. I had to rebuild the original shower pan and tile because it was too flexible and popped tiles. used Epoxy and Carbon Fiber to rebuild it.

My coach has two closets in the bathroom on each side of the lavatory so that no hall, aisle or bedroom space is used for closet access. The closet doors are swinging doors with two jambs, the closet and the aisle, that close the bathroom when open. By placing the closets in the bathroom the converter was able to have a large bathroom that doubles as a dressing room.

I notice that this design is not used much resulting in smaller bathrooms with no gain in other space.

Fast Fred built a cabinet that pulled out of the shower to allow the shower to be used and spent the rest of the day in the shower.
Jerome Dusenberry (Jerry32)
Registered Member
Username: Jerry32

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 148.78.243.51

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:15 am:   

Thanks for all the ideas as I have been trying to figurre a shower in too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration