A/C tools Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » A/C tools « Previous Next »

Henry 96A3 (Hank)
Registered Member
Username: Hank

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 69.129.192.108

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   

As discussed in a previous thread, I've decided to keep my coach A/C and learn how to service it. The manual has detailed instructions on charging, purging, general maintenance and troubleshooting. The entire bus system uses 24lbs of R134a. The tools and refrigerant aren't too expensive and seem like a good investment. Due to the number of busnuts who dismantle their stock A/C systems, I imagine that the more expensive parts can be found used for reasonable prices. I can braze, solder and weld so I should be able to repair coils. I will also be getting my A/C certification within the next two years so even if I can't figure it out now, I should be able to by then!

So, on my shopping list so far is:
-R134a manifold gauge set with hoses
-bottle of R134a
-UV leak detector kit (it's cheap so why not?)
-oil injector and oil
-flair fitting wrench set
-1.5 CFM vacuum pump

Any other goodies I need in the A/C tool kit?
Jerry Liebler (Jerry_liebler)
Registered Member
Username: Jerry_liebler

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 71.31.3.204

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   

Henry,
At least a MAP torch and some hard solder. And some method of recovering refrigerant. It's very illegal to vent the stuff.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Henry 96A3 (Hank)
Registered Member

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 69.129.126.133

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   

Jerry,
Check. I bought a used one on the e-place. I've got all sorts of torches too.
Hank
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 207.231.80.150

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   

Hank,
Whatever you do, don't SOLDER refrigeration tubing or fittings.
Nick and Christy will back me up on this one, use Silvabraze, a brand name for silver and phosphorus blend. The brand name doesn't matter, its also called silphos, and is sold by its silver content, either 5, 10, or 15%. The higher the number, the easier it flows. The bills will flow out of your wallet easier also. A MAPP torch will do up to about a 3/8 line, much bigger requires either Air/Acetylene, or Oxy/Acetylene. They will teach you in class about using nitrogen when you braze, to avoid making copper oxide inside your tubing. So, you will need a nitrogen cylinder, and a CFH (cubic feet per hour) regulator, like on mig welders.
Good luck,
George
Henry 96A3 (Hank)
Registered Member

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   

George,
THanks! I have an oxy-acetylene rig and I have a lot of experience with silver brazing. I used to build and repair bicycle frames way back in the day. The high end race tubing was all silver brazed to keep the heat down, especially on the heat treated stuff. I've got a couple of flow meters too.
I appreciate the pointers!
Hank
wrench (Metricwrench)
Registered Member
Username: Metricwrench

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.138.133.32

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:05 am:   

& EZ clips from AREOQUIP will allow you to built you own hose: http://eatonhydraulics.com/products/pdfs/fc/ka127.pdf, If the hose are the one from the R12 era, repace them with new barrier type as the R134 will seep trough the R12 hose over time.
wrench
Nick Badame Refrigeration Co. (Dnick85)
Registered Member
Username: Dnick85

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 70.208.5.66

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   

Hi Henry,
Glad you decided to keep the OTR.
There are plenty of A/C parts around for your system. Follow George's advice on brazing, he knows alot! The only thing I would add is your vac pump is very small. I would like to see you use a 6cfm unit. You can even reconfirm your leak tests with a perfect vacuum and let it stand for 24 hours to confirm that the system is still holding the same microns as the day before.

Good Luck
Nick-
Henry 96A3 (Hank)
Registered Member

Post Number: 89

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   

Nick,
I was about to buy the smaller pump but the used recovery unit I just bought came with a new Robinair 6 CFM pump...so I am in business!

Thanks again for all the pointers.
Henry 96A3 (Hank)
Registered Member

Post Number: 91

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   

Can anyone recommend an good online source for Aeroquip stuff?
Thanks,
Hank

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration