Black white and blue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Black white and blue « Previous Next »

dutch (Dutch)
Registered Member
Username: Dutch

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 216.9.250.6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:19 am:   

He folks

Can anybody tell me the difference between black blue and white smoke???
Also when you see it at startup or after like 300miles
Thanks dutch
Jerome Dusenberry (Jerry32)
Registered Member
Username: Jerry32

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 148.78.243.51

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:54 am:   

Normally when you start up you may see white smoke if the engine is cold, It is unburnt fuel. Blue smoke is usually represenative of crankcase oil and black smoke is not enough air for the fuel to burn completely or put another way too much fuel for the air that the engine is getting. this is when heavy throttle or bad turbo etc. Jerry
doug yes (Dougg)
Registered Member
Username: Dougg

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 75.117.52.139

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   

They all indicate that the engine is running on a 4104!
Kyle Brandt (Kyle4501)
Registered Member
Username: Kyle4501

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 72.147.49.137

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   

Blue = burned oil

Black = UN-burned fuel

White smoke is usually water.

Small amount of white on startup is condensation of combustion by-products. Usually goes away as soon as exhaust system heats up.

Tons of white smoke that doesn't go away is usually a coolant leak which will require intervention & $$$

Burned automatic transmission fluid (in my car) looks white in the rear view mirror, but was intermitent. (Replacing the vacuum modulator fixed that.)
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1103
Posted From: 206.116.245.127

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   

Kyle, white smoke is just as likely to be fuel that did not ignite as it is to be water.

Try getting a whiff of it in your face. The difference is very obvious. The unburned fuel will burn eyes and nose.

Blue smoke from lube oil burning shows up readily, even when the oil consumption is normal or near normal.

Cold firing chambers can even produce some blue from the fuel; the chambers have to be hot to produce clean exhaust. If an engine blue smokes when working hard and fully heated up, then oil consumption is apt to be high.

The is the exact priciple behind municipal incinerators; temperatures have to exceed 1800 degrees F to be clean enough to use the incinerator. Wood stoves are the same way; if they don't burn hot enough, they will be smokey even with good fuel.

White smoke from fuel is not a combustion product; it is from failure to ignite. A lot of the two strokes are a little marginal on compression, so a misfire or two on startup is common.

As the cylinder warms up from repeated compression strokes, it finally gets hot enough to fire. If you see a lot of smoke on startup, there will be more than one misfiring. If you watch, you will see the smoke reduce in stages as each nonfiring cylinder starts firing.

Right when that happens, there is some intermittent firing, and you can see it in the exhaust.

If you are running an engine that is all the way up to temperature and it white smokes, then it is likely that water is involved.

Black smoke means that the fuel was hot enough to ignite, but ran out of air partway through the burning of the fuel.

I hope this helps clear the air.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 63.18.122.108

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   

Good post TC.....Thanx.
RCB
Phil Dumpster (Phil_dumpster)
Registered Member
Username: Phil_dumpster

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 71.112.107.234

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:33 am:   

Umm, water makes steam, not white smoke, when heated beyond its boiling point.

How do you tell the difference? Unless the local humidity is above 99%, steam will "vanish" into thin air, while smoke will dissipate until no longer visible.

I have a 6V92TA with about 40K miles on it. At 50 degree ambient temperature, normal starting sequence is like this: start cranking, at 4 to 5 seconds the first wisps of white smoke come from the exhaust, over the next 2 to 5 seconds they get thicker until the first pings of ignition come from the engine, when the smoke turns thick and black. Until all six cylinders start firing, which can take anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds at idle, some black and white smoke chuffs out in rhythm with the engine speed. When all cylinders are firing, it stops smoking.

If your engine is in good shape, it should act much like mine does.

My engine has a transit bus throttle retarder, so it doesn't shoot anything visible out of the exhaust stack even if I floor it. If your engine doesn't have one, you should be able to shoot mushroom clouds on demand with your right foot.
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:40 am:   

Plug in the block heater and see how it acts. Should start clean if it is in good shape. Blue or white smoke then indicates a problem. Nice thing about detroits is they run the best when they are ready for an overhaul, along as they aren't misfiring.
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1104
Posted From: 206.116.245.127

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   

Phil, I think that whether you can see water vapor depends on conditions. I believe if the water vapor temperature falls below the dew point for the conditions, the vapor will become visible.

HTH

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Kyle Brandt (Kyle4501)
Registered Member
Username: Kyle4501

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 72.147.49.137

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   

Good points Tom, but my 8V71 starts with a little white smoke & smooth even firing. I try to avoid putting my head in smoke :-)
The cars I have seen with blown head gaskets would put out a cloud of steam that would make Q (007) proud. It too would bring tears to your eyes, I just assumed it was other by-products of combustion.
Oh, the comment I made about "Tons of white smoke that doesn't go away" I was refering to continuous generation of smoke, not how long it lingered in the air.

I learn more every day - If I'm lucky :-)
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 371
Posted From: 63.97.117.35

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   

Phil,

That doesn't sound like normal DD starting to me. My 671 will make some white smoke at 30-40 degrees but even then it isn't as bad as yours. Ether eliminates white smoke completely even at 20*.
Phil Dumpster (Phil_dumpster)
Registered Member
Username: Phil_dumpster

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 134.39.82.45

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   

Normally aspirated engines will start easier and with less smoke that the equivalent turbocharged engines because the normally aspirated engines have a higher compression ratio.

Once the turbo engine is warmed up to operating temperature, it will outperform its normally aspirated counterpart in almost every measurable sense.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration