Themostat size 8v92 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Themostat size 8v92 « Previous Next »

Robert Cox (Bob05)
Registered Member
Username: Bob05

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 75.0.10.74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:57 am:   

Trying to do it right replacing radiator etc.
found 170deg. stats. thinking that might be part of the over heating problem as they would always be open. is higher better ??
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 207.231.81.59

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:42 am:   

Bob,
Unless your existing stat is stuck closed, or partially open, it is not your heating problem. If you have the old one out, put it in a pan of water, and heat it on the stove. Put a meat thermometer in the water, and watch the temperature at which the stat begins to open, and when its fully open. Stats start to open at their rated temp, and will be fully open in less that 10 degrees over that. PERSONALLY, I wouldn't go lower, you need the heat to get the water and fuel out of the oil, they were made to run at 180.
HTH,
George
Chris Peters (Chris_85_rts)
Registered Member
Username: Chris_85_rts

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 66.194.150.45

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   

I've had long discussions about this very topic and am still somewhat undecided, but according to the book specs on a 180 degree stat, it starts to open at 180, and is fully open at 198. After getting my rad cleaned, I noticed no effect. My 6V92TA will run at 200 at full throttle (60 mph), and 180 at 40 or less. At 50-55 it will run 190. If it is only 1/2 open at 190, then this makes sense to me. I was also considering switching to 170 stats, so when driving it would run cooler.
Registered Member

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   

Chris,
Just a couple of thoughts: Remember that a turbocharged diesel moves a whole lot of air through the engine during normal operation, so a lot of the combustion heat is rejected thru the exhaust. So at low power, the thermostat(s) may well be nearly closed. As the fuel combustion rate is increased, with your foot, the outlet water temp increases. The heat transfer capability of a radiator increases as the inlet water temp increases, and decreases as the inlet air temperature increases. After repairing the fan controls on mine, it runs very close to yours, it will reach 210 at 70 mph up the Baker grade out of Las Vegas, at 105 outdoor. Lowering the stat settings will only make it run cooler on a cool day.
FWIW, George
Chris Peters (Chris_85_rts)
Registered Member
Username: Chris_85_rts

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 66.194.150.45

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:53 am:   

I hear ya George. Basically I was thinking that if I change the stats to 170, and it still runs 200 like before, then I either need a new bigger radiator or I need to add an external trans cooler. It seems I am right on the hairy edge. This is all on the flats of FL in 85-95 weather. I'm pretty sure I don't have cracked heads as I have no other symptoms. I do need to replace my full width mud flap, it is missing some chunks.
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1920
Posted From: 75.108.85.230

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   

Chris, I think you need to understand that the purpose of a thermostat is to bring the engine up to operating temperature and then maintain it at that temperature by opening further to allow more coolant to flow thru the system, up to the capacity of the cooling system.

If the capacity of the system is not capable of maintaining the engine temperature, then there is a problem in the cooling system and changing thermostat operating temperature will not make a difference.
Richard
Registered Member

Post Number: 189

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   

Evening Chris,
Your answer says you've got it!
I also agree with the thought of a large, fan-forced, oil-to-air cooler on the output side of the trans. It will take heat load off of the eng oil cooler, and your trans will like it too!
George

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration