Oil Pressure Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Oil Pressure « Previous Next »

Buddy Tennison (Buddyten)
Registered Member
Username: Buddyten

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 207.68.235.83

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   

Thanks guys for all the answers on my oil consumption question. I will just drive it till it seats in a few thousand miles. Also, will try to get my dipstick a little better calibrated.

Now to my next question. My oil pressure in normal running (all gears against the governor) and in high gear, runs at around the 50-55 mark. I had read somewhere that anything between 45 abd 60 was OK. On this new rebuild, is my oil pressure within where it should run. On idle, it is around 10.

Also, I have noticed that there is a slight "tick" (for lack of a better terminology) in the oil pressure needle. It seems to move or jump slightly. Could this be a grounding problem on the guage? Where is the "oil sending unit" located on the engine? I want to check and make sure the wiring to and from the unit is tightened and attached properly, since the engine was removed from the bus for rebuild. Since I have had some ground problems on the bus in the past, I just want to be sure.

My mechanic is out of town for a few days, or I would let him check it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Justin Griffith (Justin25taylor)
Registered Member
Username: Justin25taylor

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 67.67.222.100

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:34 am:   

It could be. Another thing I have noticed in almost every single 8-71 I have let get low on oil is just what you are describing. If I add oil up to the add mark it will stop. I recently delivered a Eagle with a worn out 8-71 cross country and instead of checking the oil every hundred miles I would wait for the gauge to "tick" slightly. I would stop and add a gallon of oil and it would stop. You may want to check this and or call me and I will try to explain it better. My cell number is in my profile.
In any case, Good Luck!

Your oil pressure sounds great.
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 209.50.74.6

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:33 am:   

Buddy
According to da book your oil pressure is good. The 8V71 has a relief valve set for about 58 lbs. If your "tick" is at highway speed then it probably is the relief valve opening. The sender can be in various places. Just look around untill you find a sender with one wire on it and remove it and see if the pressure drops to zero. You can't hurt anything by pulling off the wire. Hope this helps you . Bill

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration