Front Shocks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Front Shocks « Previous Next »

Buddy Tennison (Buddyten)
Registered Member
Username: Buddyten

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 207.68.235.83

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   

You guys have been so helpful, and I really appreciate it. Although we have a reliable mechanic, it does get expensive to have him do every little thing, and we want to start doing some of the maintenance items ourselves. Hence our asking all these questions.

Our 80 Eagle does have a good bit of "porpoise" and although we know this is inherent in an Eagle, we would like to know if there is a way to minimize it. We feel like our torsilators (sp?) are good. If you lay a yardstick level from the edge of the wheel well aluminum flare, it will measure a little more than 6 inches down to the top of the tire. This is pretty much all the way around the bus. We have some friends with an Eagle much like ours who just had theirs indexed and their clearance is about the same.

Somewhere, we read that there was some type of shock that would minimize the porpoising, but we can't find that info. We had new shocks installed on the front the first of last year, but our mechanic just used a Gabriel shock that was similar to what was on the bus, and we are not sure they are adequate.

We are not suffering any "bottoming out", but it will "buck you" in the driver seat a little more than I like.

Thanks for your help.
J.C.B. (Eagle)
Registered Member
Username: Eagle

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 209.183.34.49

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   

These are probably the best out there and the price of these aren't cheap.

Koni shocks part #90-1898 Adjustable

I have them on the front of my 85 Eagle 10 and they really made a difference.
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 74.33.37.119

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   

call Norris at Jefferson in OKC he has the right ones for the front for 50.00 each i have been through this on my Eagle trying to get the right shocks they are different from the drive axle and the bogey
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1925
Posted From: 75.108.76.30

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   

I put Gabriel ADJUSTABLE air shocks all around on my 80 Eagle and it got rid of all the porpoising. Adjusted for maximum. One of the best investments I ever made on the Eagle. Might want to check with Dave at Southern Oregon Diesel. He is the one that turned me on the them and then actually installed them for me.
Richard
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   

Richard,on some Eagles that shock may work good SOD installed them on my Eagle and i had to remove them and install different one because that shock is a single action and you need a double action on the front David Anderson use them on his Eagle and has good luck Sonny Gray uses the same shock on his Eagle as i do
Registered Member

Post Number: 1926

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   

I believe both Sonny and David got their shock information from me. Maybe it was not Gabriel. Too long, do not remember now exactly. I know I talked to both Sonny and David about it.
Richard
J.C.B. (Eagle)
Registered Member
Username: Eagle

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 209.183.34.46

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   

Richard you are correct the Gabriel shocks are 89-425 Adjustable and the Monroe shocks are E-MN74025 but they are really weak weak compared to the Koni's that I put on my Eagle. The Koni's I had to take a pry bar to extend them and the others I extended by just pulling by hand.
clark lane (Bus05eagle)
Registered Member
Username: Bus05eagle

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   

Trust Norris and you will be happy
Justin Griffith (Justin25taylor)
Registered Member
Username: Justin25taylor

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 67.67.222.100

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:28 am:   

I have had good luck with the Koni as well.
I always tell folks the best way to minimize the "porpoising" is to look for dark spots in the center of the lane. When you see those spots slow down, they will almost always cause porpoising. The darker the spot the harder it will be. Anyone else notice this?
In my millions of miles driving entertainer coaches I have found this to be true 99% of the time.
Justin
Registered Member

Post Number: 1929

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:26 am:   

I found the worst places to be the transition from concrete to blacktop on the many overpasses in the CA freeway system. Unfortunately you can not always see these in advance and I have had a few that actually raised me out of my seat.
Of course, that was before I changed to the adjustable air shocks. After that, not a problem of any kind.
Richard

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration