Model 01 Eagle Tag Axel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Model 01 Eagle Tag Axel « Previous Next »

John Harrelson (Jharl)
Registered Member
Username: Jharl

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 216.246.148.69

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:37 am:   

I have a 64' 01 eagle the rear axle is a tag axel. the bus looks like it is forever trying to climb a hill when parked. the rear is sitting low. I have checked the drive axels and they are maxed out. can I bring down the rear tags to attempt to level the bus? if I can how is it done? how much weight/load should they carry?
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1942
Posted From: 75.108.76.131

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:46 am:   

Torsalistics are all adjustable. If at end of adjustment they need to be re-indexed. You really need to get an Eagle manual. It goes into great detail in how to do this and the amount of weight that should be on the tag.
Richard
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 66.217.108.41

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:50 am:   

jharl -

This may sound dumb....but...

Since you say:
-the bus looks like it is forever trying to climb a hill
-the rear is sitting low
-the drive axels.... are maxed out
-can I bring down the rear tags to attempt to level the bus?

It sounds like the front may be waaay too high!
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 74.33.52.83

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:20 am:   

Jack, like Richard said you need a manual because you just do not start turning bolts and nuts you need a scale or a jack with a gage to set the torsalistics on a Eagle.If you will measure behind each front wheel at the fender from siding down it should read 15in

(Message edited by luvrbus on July 09, 2007)
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 24.129.157.205

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   

John H - what size tires do you have and what is the distance from the bottom of the frame rails to the ground (on a level surface) at both the front and rear?
John Harrelson (Jharl)
Registered Member
Username: Jharl

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 216.246.148.69

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   

tire size is 11.5 20
I figure that I might be able to take up an inch or two on the tag. the dual tires look puffed out from too much weight. If I just start wrenching till the tag look as puffy (adding load) I should be ok in in the end, if the look evenly loaded at the same cold psi. I would think that putting some weight in the tags (now not looking puffy (looks like the tire has no load on it, like the tire is off the bus and leaning againse the wall (noload).

i can see that ajusting these is a time consuming bear. I think that previous owners just had the maine axel adjusted and not the tags.

jack
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   

You need to know how much weight you have on the tag. If I am rembering mine have 9000 lbs on the tag after I had the indexed. If the O1 is like the 5 the tag has to be indexed. When I had mine done the tag would slide every time the brakes were applyed and they were only carying about 3000 lbs. I think we indexed 3 notches on each side. They used a home made puller, looked like a big dent puller. Didn't take as much work on the tag as trying to get the nuts to turn on the others.
Lots of Luck
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 757
Posted From: 24.129.157.205

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   

John - the reason I asked about tire size is that the factory spec was considered with factory wheels and tires (I believe the the '64 Eagles were 24.5) and any subsequent change in them will affect ride height - the distance from the frame rails to the ground (on level surface) at the point just before the drives and just behind the steers should be the same at about 14 inches - yes final sprung weight of your conversion will affect final unadjusted ride height also - Most important the adjustment of any one torsion 'spring' will affect all others on your bus and therefore the handling of your bus - Many have re-adjusted their Eagles, re-indexed their torsilastics, or replaced individual torsion 'springs' and it is a fairly tedious and time consuming process to get it right - some have merely added air bags to the rear and gone on with their lives - HTH
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 74.33.52.83

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   

John,if you adjust all of your torslastics set them on 15in at the points that Niles talks about and you will have the 14 to 14 1/4in when you drive it about 100 miles.But you do need to have the bus weighed the tags should carry up to 10,000# 5000 on each wheel

(Message edited by luvrbus on July 12, 2007)

(Message edited by luvrbus on July 12, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration