1991 Eagle Radiator Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » 1991 Eagle Radiator Question « Previous Next »

Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member
Username: Homermandy

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 69.133.104.47

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   

Attached is a pic of my radiator from my Eagle. It is rather coated in oil from the previous engine issues. We had a rebuild done and all is nice and dry in the engine compartment. However I am thinking the coating of oil is causing my temps to be somewhat elevated. Coming from Kentucky to Ohio on some long steep grades, I slowly hit 200 and backed off the throttle to return to 185-190. If you look at the pic behund the shroud, you will see the coating. Question is I am thinking of pulling the radiator and cleaning it as I cannot get engine degreaser, etc to strip the film of oil off the radiator. Unless soomeone knows of a good product. Also, any easy way to remove the model 15 radiator? Looks like its bolted to the bottom and that's it. Any input appreciated. Thanks
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   

Well, I was rinsing the radiator with a jet stream from a garden hose and I must have popped a hole in the radiator somehow. Anyways, I drained the coolant and will remove the radiator in the next few days. It has around 550K miles on it so I am due for a replacement from the looks of it. Any good sources and suggestions for a model 15 radiator and what to expect to pay for a new one?
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 74.33.52.83

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:52 am:   

Joe,Cindy and John just installed a radiator in their 15 maybe they know were to get the best price it should be around 1100.00
Cindy and John (Cindyandjohn)
Registered Member
Username: Cindyandjohn

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 70.15.55.179

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

Joe,

I just got a new one installed... it was purchased from General Radiator in Chicago... phone number - 800-336-2444 I talked to a sales rep named Jim. he was very helpful. it cost $1209.95 but had to be put together at a radiator shop... i think some issue with pressure testing and stuff. The build at the shop cost us $623.70 - so for $1833.65 we got a new radiator... Our first quote from the radiator shop to rebuild our old one was $2800.00... on a side note - i am not sure if they were just miffed about me finding a different source - but the radiator shop said that the grade of the radiator wasn't as heavy duty as what they would have done... who knows... All I know is it works - we drove it about four hours and temps stayed at 180-190... i will be posting a new thread with all the costs involved in the repair... if you want to email me your number - i can give you a call with details...

John
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 66.195.237.160

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   

Thanks John. I called Norris at Jefferson and mine is 60" x 38.5" from tank to tank, and it was around $2150 + shipping. Plus tax I assume. Took it locally and a new core and gaskets, no tanks was around $3K. All I can say is I may clean up the grime on the one side and it may perform for my needs for a while. I'll give that a shot and see how it works. Any idea on the loss of efficiency when 80% of the inside of the radiator is coated with sludge and grime? If I can clean it up real good, may be the trick. Any thoughts?
sassbg (Eagleone)
Registered Member
Username: Eagleone

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 24.255.224.230

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   

I have a radiator for eagle call me. Bill .785-2339363
sassbg (Eagleone)
Registered Member
Username: Eagleone

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 24.255.224.230

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   

I have a new radiator for eagle call me. Bill .785-2339363
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 26

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   

Update: After cleaning all the grime on the engine side of the radiator, I reinstalled the radiator and took her for a spin. Hit some modest grades and the temp never got over 175. Before it would be about 10-15 degrees more. Outside ambient was around 90. Happy with that for now. The radiator is the large one so it definately helps the cooling. I would suggest to anyone who has oil and grime buildup on the inside of the radiator to remove the radiator and thoroughly clean the grime, etc. In my case it was the previous owner running the engine with a major leak(thus my rebuild) which caused the grime. I actually had to use a shovel in the radiator bay to scoop about 1 inch of oil/grime out of the bay. So I will put off the radiator purchase for a long while hopefully. Thanks for the input.
Cindy and John (Cindyandjohn)
Registered Member
Username: Cindyandjohn

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 70.15.55.179

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   

Joe,

Glad to hear you can avoid that expense for now... That is one expensive repair that i wish i could have avoided... I have been at a Rally in Sussex NJ for a while and didnt have internet access. I am surprised to hear how large your radiator is wow!... I thought mine was big! That must have been heavy!!!

John

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration