Cleaning A/C evaporator and condenser... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Cleaning A/C evaporator and condenser coils « Previous Next »

Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 76.223.67.232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   

I'm looking for a product or home remedy for emulsifying dirt and build-up on our evaporator on our OTR A/C so I can then spray it out without risk of damaging it.

It is sandwiched up against the heater-core and I cannot see that side of it. The air filter was not there when we bought the bus and we can only guess how long is was used without it. Based on how much has accumulated on the filters we installed, in a relitivley short period of time, I'm assuming that there is for sure some restriction.

There is only 1 fan speed, high, and it does not seem like we get the volume of air out at the bottom of the windows that we should.

I do not dare just spraying with water for fear of making any potential obstruction harder to get out later.

I'm thinking an emulsifier will work good.

I have used new-age engine cleaners that are bio-degradeable emusifying agents that rinse off with low pressure water that work great for that poupose but I hesitate to use it here?
Ed Jewett (Kristinsgrandpa)
Registered Member
Username: Kristinsgrandpa

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 64.24.214.1

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   

Castrol Super Clean is the strongest stuff I've ever used, including Gunk.

If you use it, don't leave it on very long as it will eat paint.

A leaky bottle was left overnight on top of my welder and ate some paint off the top and a streak down the side.

The leaky bottle was a Windex (or something similar) bottle. It was a good bottle till I put the Castrol Super Clean in it.

I can't prove it but I think it ate through the plastic spray bottle. Keep it stored in the original container.

Ed
Nick Badame Refrigeration Co. (Dnick85)
Registered Member
Username: Dnick85

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 70.211.103.5

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   

Hi Joe,

If you have an appliance parts supply house in your area like Johnstone Supply or simular, you can obtain a couple products that are just for evaporators. Some are an acid based and are safe for copper coils. The best thing about them is that it digests the dirt and grease without harming it. Then you simply flush with plenty of water and the dirt runs out the drain holes.
The product we use is called Coil Bright, just be sure you get the stuff for Evaporator coils and not Condencer coils. The latter is much stronger and is not safe for evaps.

Good Luck
Nick-
Registered Member

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:03 am:   

Thanks Nick

Based on your club name, I'll be taking that as a professional suggestion! I know right where to try.

Nice lookin bus.

Deb and Joe 86XL
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 207.231.81.129

Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:41 am:   

D & J,
I must second Nick's suggestions exactly. I am also a licensed HVAC contractor, although my name doesn't show it. Coils are aluminum fins "pressed" onto copper, and the wrong cleaners will do tremendous damage!
Whatever you do, DON'T use an engine cleaner!!!
George
Registered Member

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   

Went to the appliance repair. We found HP cleaner, 1 Gal. 20 bucks. Can be used strait but instructions suggest diluting 4 or 5 to 1. Says no rinsing but I think I might anyway. I'll let you know how dirty the rinse water was.

Thank you for all your inputs.

Deb and Joe 86XL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration