Genset gremlins Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Genset gremlins « Previous Next »

Doyle Gaither (Texasborderdude)
Registered Member
Username: Texasborderdude

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 205.149.144.104

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   

Well I thought my genset was running out of fuel, but since the tank's full... it's not that. After a series of shut-downs, it seems to be related to having the inverter/charger on. It'll run ok with it off, but will stall (at times) with it on. Anyone have any thoughts?

[Koehler/Kubota 10Kw diesel]

dg
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 74.33.42.56

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   

doyle, make sure your genset is getting enough air flow over it.if its in a closed space like a bay you may need to install a fan if you do not have one
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 66.217.105.204

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   

Re:
"After a series of shut-downs, it seems to be related to
having the inverter/charger on. It'll run ok with it off,
but will stall (at times) with it on."

Make sure you're not inadvertently powering the same appliances
from both power sources at the same time. There should be a
fail-safe disconnect between the two sources (as well as the
power-pole supply).
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 63.97.117.10

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   

My Honda did that and I found that I had accidentally placed the fuel line service loop above the inlet at the gen and it was causing an air bubble at the top of the loop.

Lowering the service loop cured the problem.
Bob Wies (Ncbob)
Registered Member
Username: Ncbob

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 75.200.89.156

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   

The common denominator here seems to be, "it seems to be related to having the inverter/charger on."

There is a transfer switch in the Inverter/Charger that should disconnect the generator from the AC load unless the batteries are calling for a charge.

For me, there's not quite enough information here. I'd need to know if you're boondocking with the generator "On Call" to furnish power to a depleting set of batteries, or running down the road expecting the inverter to carry some basics, like the 'Fridge or whatever.

If you'd like to expand on your explanation, and the circumstances leading up to the generator failing...it might help.

Is the generator blowing the circuit breaker prior to shutting down, is it giving you an overtemp shutdown, a low oil pressure shutdown or is it just shutting down?

What is the condition of the battery bank the I/C is keeping track of? Is it fully charged, partially charged or low? Is your generator programmed to being asked to start automatically when the batteries get low?

Don't wish to be a PITA about this but the total picture from you to us is what might possibly get you the answer you need.

Bob
Jim Wilke (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 69.77.151.201

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   

Do you have an ammeter in your system to determine how much A.C. load it is carrying? It might be near full load when some other item comes on automatically & the overload stalls the genset. Air Cond., fridge, water heater, auto battery charging, etc?
Registered Member

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 75.163.30.91

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:34 am:   

Thanks to all for the posts. I've been off to Canada for a week in the toad. I'm going to try to see if the problem is one of fuel or load. I'm going to rig us an aux tank and run it with everything off and see if it stalls out and take it to the next step. I'm just boondocking to test if the genset will charge the batteries and perhaps run one a/c. Thanks for all the input.

dg
Registered Member

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 66.188.231.49

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   

Thanks to the guys at Fabco in Eau Claire, Mn. it was a combination or things; cleaned the commutator ring, replaced several fuel hoses (past the fuel pump) and marginally low coolant, which may have been shutting down to overheat. A note here: The temp gauge is below the water pump and may not indicate true heat if coolant level is low!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration