OT Bluegrass Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » OT Bluegrass « Previous Next »

H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member
Username: Ace

Post Number: 632
Posted From: 70.220.80.141

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   

Ok all you bluegrass buffs, I recently purchased a Gibson F5 mandolin and REALLY love the sound/tone and what a huge difference from my old mandolin. My question is, does anyone know of any other Gibson F5's that may be for sale or trade anywhere in the U.S. or Canada? It seems that my newly acquired instrument became a HUGE hit with my bluegrass music teacher, who by the way plays professionally in a band, and wants one for himself. He plays mine instead of his all the time at festivals and shows so I told him I would try and find another like mine for him! New 2007 F5's are going for 5K and up. Were kind of looking for something in the 2200.00 "plus" range. We JUST missed one exactly like mine listed on Craig's list by one day!
Thanks for your leads!

Ace
Rod Bourland (Roddymc8)
Registered Member
Username: Roddymc8

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 71.236.217.176

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   

Big Bluegrass festival in Sisters Oregon next weekend. The Biscuit Burners are gonna be there. I'll keep my eye out for an F-5 Gibson....Rod
Pete/RTS Daytona (Pete_rtsdaytona)
Registered Member
Username: Pete_rtsdaytona

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 208.118.13.244

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   

Ace

Not the "Hi-jack" your thread but - Have you guys been to

Cassia Community Club on any 2nd or 4th sunday from 5Pm - ?? They have a bi-monthly BlueGrass Jam Session - that's like stepping right back in time to "O Brother, Where Art Thou" (George Clooney 2000)

I was absolutely blown away by the raw talent that got up there on their stage in the old "ONE ROOM SCHOOL HOUSE that's now the towns small park. Others were jamming outside all around the building waiting to get their chance on stage - It was magic - they even have a small concession that sell a great home cooked stuff for dinner. simple fair - but absolutely delightful.

If you guys haven't been - perhaps you should - with so many BlueBrass players - there is bound to be someone who can help you find another special mandolin

Pete RTS/Daytona

P.S. there are RV's parked outside in the lot every time we go - Janice and I will hopefully be there on Sept 22 (by car) - To get our BLUEGRASS fix.

P.S. anyone else in Florida should go there once - even if BlueGrass is not your mainstay music -

For info call Diane ***352**483*0834
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 633
Posted From: 70.220.80.141

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   

Thanks Guys and Pete YES I was told to make sure I go there when I can! I hear it's great and we will get there soon I'm sure!
Ya'll keep an eye out for a Gibson F5 for me so I can get MY OWN back from Clint, My teacher! LOL

Ace
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 76.1.180.218

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   

Ace,
Can't ya talk Butch out of another one of his? Jack
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 216.9.250.62

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   

No Jack. He has many mandolins but I got the only Gibson.

Ace
David Evans (Dmd)
Registered Member
Username: Dmd

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 96.232.83.122

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   

What ever happened to Tuck 04 from the old days here on the board? He was in Georgia and i think he made mandolins. This thread reminded me of him. Hope is well.
Glenn Vining (Glennvin)
Registered Member
Username: Glennvin

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 67.140.236.217

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   

Ace, I'm assuming you've already looked at the "Mandolin Cafe" site. They have new and used for sale. If ya haven't, below is a sample.

Here's one for ya.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_butt on=on&db_id=24809&query=retrieval

Here's ya another one. Of course you might have to sell a couple of bus tires first.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_butt on=on&db_id=24749&exact_match=on&query=retrieval

Here's one that located about 20 miles from me. If ya want it, let me know. LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-1926-GIBSON-F-5-FERN-MANDOLIN-STRONG-SOUNDING_W0QQitemZ17014 5253406QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10179QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

As far as Mr. Tucker, he's alive and well in Washington, Ga. He and his son has recently been building a few guitars.

Good luck.

Glenn
Tallulah Falls, Ga.
www.tlmmusic.com
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 635
Posted From: 70.221.237.154

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:01 am:   

Glenn and others thanks much for all the leads and yes, I am very aware of the cafe. I have received a lot of emails with instruments that are available from some bus nuts and from the ad I have on the cafe!
Ace

I think it would take a LOT more than spare tires to acquire the one in the link above which has been up for sale for some time now and probably will be too!
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 618

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 10:07 am:   

"What ever happened to Tuck 04 from the old days here on the board? He was in Georgia and i think he made mandolins. This thread reminded me of him. Hope is well."

Last I heard, Rhonda Vincent was playing one of Tuck's mandolins. Jack
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 70.221.237.154

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   

I checked them out before I bought my Gibson and they were right up there with quality AND price!

Ace
Dale Houston (Songman)
Registered Member
Username: Songman

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 70.92.99.202

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   

Ace, my uncle has an extremely nice Weber Bitterroot F-hole he wants to sell. It is like new but he got married recently do doesn't have time to play much anymore.

Here's the company web page for his particular model. If you have any interest, I can send pictures of his mandolin and get some info from him. He says it plays like a dream. List is around $2700 I think.

http://www.soundtoearth.com/inst_ma_bitrrt.htm

(Message edited by Songman on September 03, 2007)
Skip N (Skip)
Registered Member
Username: Skip

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 161.7.2.160

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:10 am:   

Ace

Was on a friends site checking out his guitars
and remembered you were looking.
I know nothing but this may be of interest

http://gregboyd.com/instruments.html?family=Mandolins&maker=Gibson

FWIW
Skip
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 75.201.41.238

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   

Thank you all for the many many leads but I have made a deal for one exactly like the one I got. List price on these mandos is $5100.00. I paid 3K for mine and it's a 2003 model. The one coming to me on Friday is a 2007 Gibson F5 model and I wheeled and dealed it for a mere $1700.00. I think I made out pretty darn good!
I also want to say that Clint Dockery who is my teacher and lead singer for "Bits of Grass" has become a very close friend as he TRIES to teach me this very complex instrument. He underwent surgery today and is doing just fine and is in recovery as I type this! Now I'm sure to make his day Saturday when I surprise him with his NEW F5 Gibson! Maybe then I can get to use mine and finally learn a little something! LOL

Thanks again...

Ace
Dale Houston (Songman)
Registered Member
Username: Songman

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 70.92.99.202

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   

Ace,

Best wishes to Clint...

Glad you found a new mandolin...

And remember... After you learn the mandolin, all you have to do is learn the bow and you'll be able to play fiddle too! Good deal, huh?

Hope to hear you pickin sometime..
Dale
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 620

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:50 am:   

Ace,
Glad to hear Clint is doing OK. We will keep him in our prayers. We will probably go to the South West Florida Bluegrass Assoc. show at Craig's RV Park on Saturday afternoon. This will be the last show the rec hall. next month they move back outside under the trees and the pavilion
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 70.221.206.70

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   

Dale thanks but I'll leave the fiddle bowing to Susan! She's WAY ahead of me on that and even been on stage a few times already and she also had a recording done. Well sort of! It was a ya-hoo with a recorder walking around at a local jam session and she got recorded. I have YET to hear the end of that one! She rubs it in every chance she can but one day I'm going to show her who's who!
Thanks Jack! I'm sure Clint will be glad to hear that people are thinking of him! We won't make Craig's this weekend as we have a lot going on! Hey my bus might become a tour bus for BOG! Well for a couple of shows anyway! Looks like I will be a real bus driver after all! LOL Hope I can do it!
Tell Paula hello and ya'll take care!

Ace
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 76.4.149.200

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   

hey ace; just keep in tune and you can pick and her grin, she is probably better looking than you anyway LOL gomer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration