DDEC equipped coaches Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » DDEC equipped coaches « Previous Next »

H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member
Username: Ace

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 75.201.95.14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:46 am:   

I own one and it's my first experience with one and recently, not to mention since owning it, have had problems with codes that will shut the coach down cold. I recommend that if you own one yourself, spend the money for a code reader. It can really help you with the mass of electronics that can go bad. Nothing like a huge coach stuck on the side of the road due to a single wire or maybe a 10 cent fuse that blew. Not only will the reader determine what and where to look for the problem it can also do a lot of other things for you on your trip such as calculate engine average speed, engine hours, MPG, total fuel gallons used, oil pressure (the TRUE pressure), and even water level water temperature and get this, fuel temperature! It can tell you the serial number of your motor, make, model amd BHP (brake horse power) which mine is 450.
I have had the reader almost as long as I have had the coach but never did get the correct cartridge until this past week! I feel secure in knowing that this little computer device will tell me what to look for IF a problem ever arises and it will, and along with a DDEC troubleshooting book I recently purchased for 90 bucks, it can tell me step by step on how to trace and fix the problem! The book is not much help without the reader and the reader is only a little help without the book unless you just want to know what the DD guys will be doing! This is a good way to try and fix these minor things yourself. Minor meaning like a 10 cent fuse or a 70 dollar sensor! A friend who has been having a similar problem just paid 750 big ones to have his coached towed into the DD shop. That's half of what the reader cost NEW! He might have been able to save himself a shop chargeand towing charge if he could have fixed his problem/s himself.
I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and got the reader and cartridge. Oh and I have erased all of the historic codes from before I owned the coach.

Now if I can just keep it running long enough to use it! LOL

Ace
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 66.217.106.211

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:13 am:   

Ace -

Re:
"I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and got the reader and cartridge. "

Please tell us where you bought all of it?
Steveggt (Steveggt)
Registered Member
Username: Steveggt

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 71.116.72.37

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:44 am:   

Hi Ace,

I've worked on DDEC engines a bit, and if I recall correctly, the majority of fault codes will register as a Check Engine...you sometimes don't even notice any change in the engine's performance.

I can think of three things that will "throw" the Check Engine AND Stop Engine: Low Oil Pressure, High Coolant Temperature, and Low Coolant Level.

On most DDEC-equipped buses, there's a way to retrieve the codes without purchasing a reader. Each coach (depending upon year built, manufacturer, and model) typically has a switch that'll "flash" the codes on the Check Engine and Stop Engine dash warning light cluster. Usually, you turn your run control on (don't start the engine), wait for all the warning lights to go out then hold the switch and watch the lights. I can't remember which is which, but one light indcates "active codes" and the other light indicates "inactive codes".

I believe there are several websites out there that list the codes for whatever DDEC version you have. Google something like "DDEC fault codes" and see what you get.

In any case, you WILL need the reader to clear the codes...

Good luck! - Steve
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 648
Posted From: 75.201.95.14

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:58 am:   

John I found the best deal fromApex tools off of Ebay!

Steve < Yes I know about the flash codes from the light cluster. Been doing it that way since my purchase. What I was trying to get across was that there are so many other things to know about your equipment from using the reader!

Ace
JC Alacoque (Jc_alacoque)
Registered Member
Username: Jc_alacoque

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 74.127.203.95

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:55 am:   

Where does the reader plug in? Series 60 DD.
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

It would plug in the port under the dash or in the back, with the motor.
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 649
Posted From: 216.9.250.61

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   

I would guess all buses are different as mine plugs into a port designated for this purpose and is pretty handy as it's location is right outside the driver side window in a compartment that has things like winshield washer bottle, passenger bell, emergency air latch for the door, Etc.!
I never saw or heard of a port in the rear but I'm sure anything is possible on these things!
Pete/RTS Daytona (Pete_rtsdaytona)
Registered Member
Username: Pete_rtsdaytona

Post Number: 398
Posted From: 208.118.14.128

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   

Ace

Have you looked at this product - takes the DDEC Info and lets you customize a "GLASS DASH" on you PC / Laptop

The softwares free and the DDDL - (Detroit Diesel Data Link ??) hardware - interface device is reasonable

see--> http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/7

Pete RTS/Daytona
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 650
Posted From: 75.200.42.67

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   

Yea Pete I have seen this before but figured I already have enough problems without adding even more electronic headaches!
What I found on mine is there are 2-15amp and 1-30 amp fuses in line that are hard wired straight to the batteries. I know that removing the 15 amp fuses the bus will crank but not start and was told that these are for the ECM. The 30 amp I know feeds something internal because the digital clock goes off when it's removed and stays on when not removed. It probably had something to do with internal lighting which is now gone! My recent test was to make sure all four batteries were fully charged and I had NO codes. Bus ran fine with no shut down! I removed the 3 fuses over night and checked the batteries again this morning. Batteries were fully charged so I re-installed the fuses and as I was doing this there was a minor arcing in all 3. That tells me there is definitely something ON. The bus started right up, no codes and ran fine! This was JUST over night so now I will remove the fuses and do a 3-4 day test to see if the batteries drain. If not, that tells me that the ECM is draining more than just Ma's as they say it should!
I have done ALL the troubleshooting step by step from the book and after completing all the necessary steps, it told me there is an "open" wire going to the H3 pin of the ECM which is labeled "low coolant sensor". If it's shorted out somewhere it very well could be the drain I am looking for or actually NOT looking for!
The saga continues!

Thanks...
Ace
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1290
Posted From: 67.181.189.94

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   

Ace -

As our good buddy Fast Fred often said "It's in DA BOOK!" (I mean that in a humorous way. . . LOL)

Seriously, your comments bring up a very, very valid point: The shop manuals and parts books are extremely important when working on these (often) complex pieces of machinery. And the supplemental manuals and troubleshooting guides are often worth far more than the $$$ spent to obtain them - not to mention the specialized tools.

Kudos to you for sharing your comments on the code reader and cartridge, and how it's assisting you tracking down your electrical drain.

Say hello to Susan for me, too!

:-)
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 67.126.200.104

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   

The free VMSpc program Pete mentioned above will read all the engine trouble codes, read all the engine/transmission parameters (if you have an electronic tranny),including cruise on/off, set speed, Jake control, digital clock and much more. It will keep track of your millage, total miles driven, keep your maintenance records, and more.

The few gauges that came with my bus have been replaced with a 10" LCD that sits in the center of the dash (covers the old 3-1/2" speedo and air gauge) and displays 13 engine parameters. I have only two white mechanical gauges: Air pressure and fuel level.

The same program will work on DD, Cummins, and CAT engines. You can customize it to look the way you want and see only what you want. And the price is right. It's only limitation is it won't clear trouble codes due to copyright issues. But I have a Palm unit that will do that.
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 67.126.200.104

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   

I should have mentioned most folks don't build a permanent screen and miniature PC dedicated to this function as I did. Most use their notebook computer concurrently running VMSpc and their GPS program while driving.
quantum merlin (Quantum500)
Registered Member
Username: Quantum500

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 71.33.238.169

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:20 am:   

That is awesome. I all of the sudden have more respect for electric controlled diesels :-) Is there any automotive based programs for cars and pickups that do the same thing?
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 70.220.16.146

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:09 am:   

Merlin there are cartridges that fit the pro-link for almost all electronic cars and trucks and even dedicated ones for automatic transmissions!
My pro-link is an older version that uses the large cartridge but I understand the newer ones use a very small data card! Big bucks! I have about $600.00 in mine total. $200.00 for the used reader and $400.00 for the new DDEC II cartridge. The reader came with a case and all the plug ins/adapters along with a cartridges for Ford cars and Chrysler cars. If you look on ebay, you can find some pretty good deals. Look for Pro link or MPSI.
Also a while back there was a discussion/controversy about fuel mileage and using the pro link is one way to get the true answer. We went back and looked at our notes from our Talladega trip and after comparing them to what was in the memory of the pro link we found that we were off just a little bit. We calculated lower than what the pro link calculated we were actually getting!
I think it's a great investment for anyone that has a DDEC!

Ace
quantum merlin (Quantum500)
Registered Member
Username: Quantum500

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.57.21.17

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:47 am:   

Thanks for the reply. Just for future reference from my experience, computer figured gas mileage calculations should not be treated as the absolute truth. I have a question. Do the DDEC engines have any type of OBD port? I have used a http://www.scangauge.com/ on automotive applications with some good success. The only thing that it does not read that I wish it did is oil pressure. As you can see its quite a bit less expensive than the pro-link with similar features. Except you need a a OBD-II port to make it work. So maybe not applicable to coaches but maybe interesting to someone?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration