Wood Flooring Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Wood Flooring « Previous Next »

Andy Wright (Wrightwy)
Registered Member
Username: Wrightwy

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 70.193.212.188

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   

Ok any wood floor installers out there ? Iam going to remove the carpet from the Bus and install wood floors, Now I have the standard carpet matting and underneath that I see what apears to be a heat shield of some sort that the pervious owner installed, Would a guy leave that there and put the floor mat over the top of it. and then the wood. I have 3/4 inch plywood as my floor . Iam just wondering about the heat transfer in the bedroom. Iam thinking of leaving the carpet under the bed box . Any thoughts Thanks Andy
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member
Username: Ace

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 75.200.42.67

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   

Andy if your talking REAL wood or laminate flooring, you cannot use the the carpet pad under either one! The laminate flooring will use a thin under layment pad whereas the REAL wood would be installed by either nailing in tongue's or gluing direct to a wood sub floor.
Let me also suggest that you might consider installing either of the above on a 45 degree angle. Buses are long, and running any of the flooring straight will only make it look longer and give it the bowling alley affect! 45 degree installation will also break it up a bit and catch more attention from on lookers!

Been in the flooring industry for the past 38 years!
Ace
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 64.40.222.139

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:32 am:   

Andy,

Ace brings out some good points!

I am in the same spot as you only not removing old. Trying to decide which way to go, real wood, tile or carpet. I installed carpet in the bedroom for that warm fuzzy feeling in the morning with bare feet. Not sure about the rest of the coach though.

I will monitor this thread to pick up some pointers.

Good Luck,

Paul
steve gaines (Kysteve)
Registered Member
Username: Kysteve

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 74.140.165.225

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:43 am:   

Andy,
How thick is the "heat shield" you spoke of? I think you need to keep the floor fairly level for hardwood. Say within 1/8 of an inch or so for the transfer from heat shield to wood and you will be fine there. As for the bed box, is it removable? I would concider removing it for a variety of reasons. I am not a fan of carpet though. Best reason though is that wood is the best insulation out there and it would help to dampen noise and to also insulate from the radiant heat from your motor. Also you would not have to have trim around the bottom of it to cover the gap you would have to leave for expantion for moisture swelling in the floor. You could put it back over the floor and just elongate the mounting holes to let the floor travel under it. Which leads me to the next suggestion. There are floors made for high moisture areas such as basements and that is what I would be looking for. I would also advise to take a sample of the floor you are interested in and measure the width precisely and float it in a bucket of water for 24 hours and then to check for delamiation and for swelling tollerances.

Hope this helps
Steve
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 71.43.39.156

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:59 am:   

Paul - I'd ask Ace about the Vinyl (looks just like tile) that he used - FWIW
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 64.40.222.139

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   

Niles,

I have seen the Vinyl that looks tile in my folks house in Oregon, you have to really get up close to tell the differance.
Good thought I had not even considered that.

What say Ace? How do you like it? How is it holding up?

Thanks,

Paul
joe padberg (Joemc7ab)
Registered Member
Username: Joemc7ab

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 66.38.159.33

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   

Andy
We used the vinyl that looks like tile Duraceramic made by congoleum (there may be others) when we renovated the kitchen, and the results thusfar have been good except for one spot near the sink. The finish layer does not appear as thick as the congoleum that was used for the previous thirty years. The advantage is lighter weight and it is warm. ie housekitchen

Joe.
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 70.221.132.45

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   

Yes the PURE vinyl flooring is great. There are some that look exactly like wood and there are some that look exactly like ceramic tile and I have used both in the last two buses. My present bus I used the ceramic looking vinyl tile and many people thought it was the real thing. It's made by Nafco flooring products. It holds up very well and doesn't discolor or chip like the old asbestos tile. Warmer than ceramic and as others have said, it's much lighter in weight! Like I said, it comes in 12x12 squares like ceramic or in 3 and 4 inch wide planks! I would also suggest either of these to be installed on a 45 degree angle. It takes a little more but well worth it.
I am about to do my entry steps with the squares to match my kitchen and bath and they too will be done on an angle!
Ace
Andy Wright (Wrightwy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.193.186.192

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   

Well Thanks so much for all your thoughts , Man now I have decisions to make lol . I like the 45 degree angle Idea I will pitch to the Boss and see what she thinks. I wondered how I could take the bed box and and I looked and it is removeable. Then this morning Eileen thought that maybe we could leave the carpet in the Bedroom and just do the living room as the kitchen and bath already have nice tile. Well Ace ,Paul , Steve and Joe I will keep you posted on the next move . Thanks alot guys Andy
steve gaines (Kysteve)
Registered Member
Username: Kysteve

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 74.140.165.225

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   

Andy,
Forgot to mention, that is a beutiful 68 you have there. We love that paint job. Hope ours turns out half a nice.

Steve and Deb
Kevin Black (Kblackav8or)
Registered Member
Username: Kblackav8or

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 24.152.174.198

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   

parquet might look cool.
Andy Wright (Wrightwy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 70.193.92.94

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   

Well what a wealth of imformation, you guys and gals are the best , Steve I take my hat off to you and Deb, Man what a job your doing It's looks great. I can't take credit for the paint The pervious owner had it done at the paint Dept in calf . Our bus was compleated some time ago and it really needs some updating , But we love her and am learning more about her and the Great people on this Board .So thanks again for all the imput Andy
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 76.4.149.200

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   

hey ace: on the 45 degree angles, do you go left to right or right to left LOL.. Thanks for the info as I was getting ready to do mine. I have a lot of laminate,Parkay If that is the write spellin and then some 3/4 stuff. so that is it.
Gomer
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 76.223.90.238

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   

You should also consider some radiant heating while your at it. If you go with a floating floor or anything void of nails there is a mesh that you can install that is electric can be installed in zones, is a very comfortable way to warm the toes and is way more efficient than other electric heat sources. There are also some real good sound deadening products out there. IMHO more is better than less. Try Soundown, I have used them they are very helpful and have mucho good stuff.

We too are going to eventually pitch the carpet for wood. Currently we are heated with a webesto and electric toe-kick heat and the toe-kicks will be chucked for the radiant I have suggested, when the floor is switched.

86 XL
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member

Post Number: 653
Posted From: 70.221.132.45

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   

I guess it all depends on what looks good in your coach! I know I dry installed mine to see first what effect it had and you CAN tell a difference believe it or not!
As to carpet? I'm kind of partial to it over any laminate. I guess that too depends on what TYPE of carpet you choose. If you choose the shaggy type then I agree, it's a waste of time and money. I chose a very short commercial cuzstom print carpet for my LR area and entrance. It's made to take a beating and so far it has done just that. In my BR I chose a frize (frizz ey') because it is like home along with being soft and doesn't get near as much wear as the LR. It's warm and cushy when you go bare foottin'.

Ace
Registered Member

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   

Here is that electric radiant stuff.

Check it out.

http://www.suntouch.net/sunMatIntro.html
Ron Walker (Prevost82)
Registered Member
Username: Prevost82

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 69.19.14.40

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   

I put suntouch under the ceramic tile in the bathroom it's nice on a cool morning. I use 1/4 cork sheets (2'x4') under the laminate flooring in the kitchen and solon. The cork keeps the laminate warmer in cold condistions and works as a sound barrier for road noise.
Ron
Registered Member

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   

Ron what kind of mileage do you get out of that 8V92 in the flat with the manual 6-speed?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration