Propane and Tunnels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Propane and Tunnels « Previous Next »

Russ Barnes (Neoruss)
Registered Member
Username: Neoruss

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 66.83.53.142

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:59 am:   

I tried a search, but didn't find what I wanted, sorry if this might be a repeat.

Last month we were towing our dog show TT to the NE and got into Baltimore where the Interstate went to a tunnel. I saw signs some distance out that said no HazMat, but until I got to the last exit there was no info about propane. If I had had a truck on my right I wouldn't have seen the little add on symbol for a propane bottle and there were no warning signs that said anything for RV's and propane. It was tough at 10pm on a Friday night to skirt around the harbour area to get to a loop as roads are so poorly marked. Being in TN we don't have these holes burrowed in the ground for cars to drive through so we don't think about these issues - seems like a yankee problem to us.

I was back in the area a week ago and traveling with a local and we talked about the event. He says that if I had gone through and they had seen my tanks the fine would have been $1000 and he sees RV's pulled over all the time. Also if there had been a tunnel accident and my vehicle was involved and had a fire then there would be all sorts of fingers pointed.

So my question is how do you handle that since most have on-board propane; plan ahead, ignor, hide and just don't get caught?
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 67.142.130.31

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   

Russ,

This is one of the reasons we have only minimal LP, and in a pair of removable, 11-lb bottles. We always figured we could ditch the bottles if we got ourselves into a jam, and only be out a few bucks, or empty and ship the bottles ground freight to ourselves at a later stop.

That said, we mostly handle this by planning ahead. If my route plan shows a tunnel, I do the research ahead of time (usually on the internet) to find out what the restrictions are, and either comply or find another route.

For example, we really wanted to do the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, and have now done so twice. On-line research revealed that RV-size quantities of LP (I no longer remember the total, but we were well under it, as would be most RV-sized ASME tanks) are permitted, so long as the supply valve has been closed off at the tank.

Many other tunnels have similar exceptions. That said, some tunnels, and even some bridges, in the northeast have a zero-limit policy: you can't even have the tanks, even if they are empty. Examples that come to mind are any tunnel under the Hudson or East rivers in New York, the Boston Harbor tunnels, and, apparently, the Baltimore Harbor tunnels. Fortunately, alternative routes are readily available for all of those.

HTH.

-Sean
Ednj (Ednj)
Registered Member
Username: Ednj

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 67.85.229.150

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   

That right there is one of the reasons my coach is electric and diesel, "NO" bridge or tunnel restrictions for me.
Just try to get into New York city with propane,
The upper deck of the George Washingtom bridge is the only way.
In Baltimore's tunnel you used to be able but only in the right lane.
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 63.145.177.245

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   

Russ,

Unless you are a very skilled, tolerant, and patient driver, you don't want to take your bus into Manhattan or downtown in most large cities. If you're passing through, you can carry LPG across the George Washington Bridge as Ednj stated.

Beside LPG, you have to consider height, weight, and length limitations on certain roads in almost every state. As Sean said, plan ahead. And the simplest and most consistently accurate information is listed in the front of the Trucker's Road Atlas, updated yearly and sold at most truck stops. Cost about ten bucks.

Granted it contains a lot of information not pertinent to RVers, but the information relevant to trucks and buses will save you a fine or major damage to your bus.

We use both the Truckers and Good Sam road books for the best of both worlds.

By the way, the LPG maximums under ANSI 1192 and some Bridge Authorities, on board an RV is 200 lbs of propane and 3 or less containers -- cylinder and/or ASME tank.
Russ Barnes (Neoruss)
Registered Member
Username: Neoruss

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 66.83.53.142

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   

Thanks guys, wish I'd have thought ahead and checked, then I'd have had my route planned. We only have two 30#, but the symbol showed a portable tank (like ours) with the circle and diagonal line so I wasn't taking any chances.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration