Triple 'A' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » December 2007 » Triple 'A' « Previous Next »

Syl Szucsko (Syl)
Registered Member
Username: Syl

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 74.36.39.167

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   

Back last summer, Aug , we where in Maine and blew a blower drive belt. Instant hot and had to pull over to the side of freeway. Ok I have triple A Arizona so not to worry. So we called and they say we do not have bus coverage. We have the RV Plus just like we had in California and we used that 3 times with no problem. They say nope not in AZ, no coverage for converted bus. So we took care of the situation our self and put the belt on that was in shreds and limped it to the rest stop 3 miles up the road near Agusta. We got on the internet and found Chuck logan and he lives in Agusta. Next day he came and rescued me with parts that he took of his MCI 9 that he is converting. Now our triple A is up for renewal and the guy says that we are covered for bus conversions. So now we don't know what is happenning. We are trying to call customer relations but they have set hours so have to call in the morning.Has anybody had same problem with triple A or good Sam. Maybe we should switch.
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 74.33.48.129

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   

Syl, I don't know whats going on there but I have had AAA RV Plus in Arizona for 12 years on my bus and never had a problem anywhere with service.I am looking into other services because AAA rates keep going up and the service items are getting more limted.
Nick Badame Refrigeration Co. (Dnick85)
Registered Member
Username: Dnick85

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 70.208.156.145

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   

Hi Syl,
Good Sam gave me in writing, "The Converted bus will be towed to the nearest Qualifed Servive Facility"
That's why I went with them.

Sorry about your troubles! Hope you can stop by again sometime!
Nick-
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 66.217.103.71

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   

Re:
"They say nope not in AZ, no coverage for converted bus. "

Sometimes we offer more information than we should?

Just refer to it as an MCI Motorhome, and call it a "diesel pusher",
(calling it a "converted bus" can induce negative brain-waves in some circles).
Brian Elfert (Belfert)
Registered Member
Username: Belfert

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 209.98.146.235

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:21 am:   

AAA is not a truly national organization. There are a number of regional divisions that operate somewhat independently. The policies for autos are fairly uniform nationwide, but the benefits available under their RV Plus plan can vary from region to region.
Cindy and John (Cindyandjohn)
Registered Member
Username: Cindyandjohn

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 70.15.55.179

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:38 am:   

We have AAA Plus RV in PA and were in NJ when we blew a water pump... They towed us 112 miles with no issue... I agree with John MC9 - dont tell them what it is, just that it is the biggest motorhome you can get and they need to send the really big tow truck... it is registered as a motorhome so when calling them - make a point of that. When we got the AAA Plus RV we told them it was big and the approximate weight and they said no problem. I would think that should be honored anywhere in the US.

John
James Robinson (Jjrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Jjrbus

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 70.10.119.228

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   

In the world in which we live the people who sell us a service and recieve a commission and the people who provide the service have nothing in common. ie if you buy homeowners or car insurance you buy it from "your" agent. When you make a claim you are no longer in good hands. You deal with the claims adjuster. Actually more than likely "your" attorney will deal with the adjuster.
So if Syl wants some justice, has all his reciepts or some form of documentation he can take them to small claims court. But since he bought the policy in one state and tried to use it in another they are all going to say not me, he must file the claim in the other state.
Very sad state of affairs for the age in which we live.
So after reading many stories like this, I opted to carry the "Emergency Road Service" ryder on my State Farm policy. At least when they shaft me I will only be out the $4 a year that it costs!
The disadvantages to the ryder are there is no 800 number to call. After reading Syl's post it may not be that much of a disadvantage!.
I have to pay for the service and get reimbursed by State Farm. Does this work? I do not know in 8 years I have never had a service call.
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1165
Posted From: 65.74.67.83

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   

James, it works if you're resourceful enough to find your own tow or service. The nice part of the deal is that the insurance company doesn't get in the way of getting what you need.

RJ Long has mentioned a number of times that there is a book that has bus repair garages listed for the whole country. That seems like enough, for me.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
James Robinson (Jjrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Jjrbus

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 70.10.89.220

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:54 am:   

When I posted this, it slipped my mind (so many things do today)I did get a service call one time outside of Cleveland Ohio. I could have tow trucks by the dozen, everybody wanted to tow my bus!! I did not want to be towed I wanted a service call by a mechanic. Took me all day to find one.
After reading these boards for years I'm kind of cynical. I did not want to be towed to Wiel,Rippum and Howe bus repair and be at thier mercy. That to my way of thinking is the absolute last option.
That said, I use to carry the book, I think it was called the Bus Pages. Today I have a computer, air card, internet access 24/7 and a cell phone. That should get me on the road again. Of course the next time I need it I will be 300 miles from the nearest cell phone tower!!
But everybody is not like me, just doing it "my way"
Mike Eades (Mike4905)
Registered Member
Username: Mike4905

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 68.200.183.92

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   

I had my bus towed from Richmond, VA to Berlin, NJ. I paid up front and my All State Ins for Full Timers paid the bill in about eight days. I was preapproved. The tow company wouln't take an assignment form the ins co. But no problem with the amount of the bill. Worked for me and U.S. Coach. Mike
Syl Szucsko (Syl)
Registered Member
Username: Syl

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 74.36.39.167

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   

Hi. I want to thank everybody who answered my post. There are some interesting 0ptions here that I will check into. I wish everyone a happy merry xmas and a happy New Year.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration