Why is it so difficult to find decent... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » Why is it so difficult to find decent plans or photos of dinettes? « Previous Next »

Laryn Christley (Barn_owl)
Registered Member
Username: Barn_owl

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 72.66.185.156

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:07 am:   

I have spent some time on the net and even have an old BCM article on building a dinette (no plans though) but it seems to be one of those by the seat of your pants projects. Anyone have good plans for one? Or knows where to locate some salvaged units near VA. I see dinettes on some sites but I cannot spend the $700 plus shipping to get one. It needs to be the type that can be converted to a bed. Also, foam seems to be expensive; any leads on a good foam or cushion source.

What I am up to:

I took the wreaking bar to the inside of my bus. I removed the full size oven/range and am in the process of moving the counter to make room for a dinette. I also took the rear bed out because I want to make a U shaped lounge that I can convert back into a bed. The PO did a good job and I was reluctant to replace good craftsmanship with my work. I am in a bit of a hurry because I have this trip coming up in a few months. There is hardly a better motivator than a fast approaching deadline. There where so many things I wanted to do before my trip, but having it moved up a year has forced me to only do the projects that are the most critical. I am having a difficult time finding a competent mechanic to do a tune-up. I have a few leads but nothing solid yet; most of the mechanics I talk to haven’t touched tools in many years and cannot do the work any more. I called the Detroit Diesel shop and asked what they would charge to “run the rack” (I have jakes) and they quoted $700 to $800. They charge $97 hour and plan on up to eight hours. Holy Crap! Does it take that long? I wouldn’t mind trying to do it myself but not before a trip when I am pushed for time. With no one to work on one I would be in big trouble if I got things out of whack.
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member
Username: Ace

Post Number: 939
Posted From: 70.222.118.14

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:25 am:   

Laryn, take an earlier trip down here to Sunny Florida for a day and get it done here locally by a competent bus repair shop at really cheap prices!
They will have you in and out in a day unless you have major problems that need attention!
They have very old and wise mechanics that work over two full length pits not to mention they have a full length bus lift!
The money you spend to get here and back will definitely be saved from having it done there locally!

Ace
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 74.33.56.77

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:14 am:   

Laryn, running the rack is about a 2 hr job if the top of the engine is easy to get too but going through the floor standing on ones head it takes a while to get it right.If going through Ca and Oregon stop and let Don Fairchild do it for you at Bakersfield Ca then it be will done right 1-661-391-4520 or 1-888-473-3626
good luck

(Message edited by luvrbus on February 09, 2009)

Josh McElhiney (Zcommanager)
Registered Member
Username: Zcommanager

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 166.217.154.11

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:23 am:   

Laryn,

I stumbled across this guys website one day while I was also trying to come up with ideas/ plans for my interior. It may be worth checking out www.vonslatt.com and looking under 'bus conversion project' to get some ideas.

He started with an old Thomas Safe-T-Liner school bus - I know...skoolie...bad..., but he did a pretty admirable job with his conversion. He also included in-depth descriptions on what he had done - which has been a big help for me.

As far as the 'low-cost foam' goes, I have heard of guys recycling the foam from old bus seats and using that for their dinettes. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Josh
Patrick levenson (Zubzub)
Registered Member
Username: Zubzub

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 76.66.201.61

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:53 am:   

I have bought foam for various projects over the years and have never managed to get it for reasonable prices. On a few occasions I bought foam mattresses on sale and stripped the covers off and used the foam that turned out a lot cheaper.
I'm going to run my own rack this spring, seems there are fewer and fewer who know how, I might as well be one of them. Seems the governor is the hardest (most complicated) part, the rest even with jakes should be easy enough. Kind of like doing the valves and balancing the carbs on a old Jag with SU carbs. I haven't done it yet but there are others here who have.
Josh McElhiney (Zcommanager)
Registered Member
Username: Zcommanager

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 166.217.154.11

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:03 am:   

Not to sound stupid, just showing my naivetee (sp) with motor coaches, yet expressing my eagerness/ willingness to learn, but what's 'running the rack?'
Austin Scott Davis (Zimtok)
Registered Member
Username: Zimtok

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 216.37.73.226

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:25 am:   

"Running the Rack" is the adjustments made to the "Rack" of rocker arms on the head that open the valves and activate the injectors.

Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   

The cheapest foam retail I found in the Okanagan was that big "wallplace" were we can boondock overnight.They did stock Upolstery foam in the fabfic department and a good selection of beding foam as mattress toppers. Another supply source might be a upolstery shop. if you find a reasonable one.
Try gettng the rack done at a bus shop or calling local bus charter companyies for their shop referal. A shop cost a lot to run; the mechanic does the repairs, the owner does the profit (when he gets lucky or greedy) and the customer does the paying. Do your homework and you might get what you pay for, but not often more than you pay for; or invest in the tools, knowledge and price of learning and do it yourself.
Keep reminding yourself: Buses do cost to maintain and repair, but when compared to the price of a new bus are still a bargin, even when compared to modern cars & light truck maintainence. If one can't swing the costs today they can still chose to enjoy the bus were it sits, even as a neat storage shed, with a one eye on patients and the other one the big picture they are working to experience. Instant gratification cost lots and someone always needs to pay the cost; unless you alter your definition of that gratification to your budget, like enjoy the bus even when it is sitting and waiting fo more expenditure.
The affliction is gentic , always was there , the bus is just the remedy that brings it to the surface.
Don Evans (Doninwa)
Registered Member
Username: Doninwa

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 208.81.157.90

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   

Having experienced sleeping on quite a few 'dinettes", we eliminated them from our current bus and the new one will also not have one. I understand the need for additional sleeping space.

The two biggest problems is getting the angle of the back to seat correct to be comfortable, and picking the right density foam.

The seat angle I can't help with other than 90 degrees is very uncomfortable unless the seat is wide and the back padding pretty big and soft or cut at an angle which makes using them for the bed difficult.

The problem with the foam is that if you pick a dense enough foam to support all your weight when sitting, it is way to firm to sleep on. Soft enough to sleep on and it feels like sitting on the plywood frame, which of course you are.

If it is just for the kids to sleep on then they are less sensitive to how firm the mattress is. If not then some type of mattress pad is in order.

Converted old bus to a table and chairs. New one will be the same, much more flexible than a fixed dinette. Takes up less space too. Much easier to plan for two than for a family. :-)

Good luck,
Don 4107
Ian Giffin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1193
Posted From: 24.239.12.139

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   

Hi Laryn,

Don't know if any of these pictures may be helpful, but they are extremely large. Right click and select "save as". Oops, just noticed they have disabled the right click... but you know how to get around that one, right?

http://www.havebus.com/no_29_int.htm

... and the floorplan is here...

http://www.havebus.com/no_29_specs.htm

Ian
www.busnut.com

PS. This fleet belongs to my buddy (who is in the pictures along with the rest of his family). I've driven all these buses for many years and one of the fleet is my profile picture... repainted, of course.
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1327
Posted From: 71.58.110.9

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   

If you can go to a large RV show or dealer, check out the higher priced units. They will give you some great ideas for what you want to do. Then, you'll have to find out where to obtain the parts/components. If you want to have engine work / tune up done, Leid diesel in Newville, Penna.717-776-7725, does this kind of work on two cycle Detroits. They also work on the stationary units. Run by a Mennonite family and do good work at reasonable prices. I've dealt with them and satisfied with their work. You can find more info on a Google search.
Mike Eades (Mike4905)
Registered Member
Username: Mike4905

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 97.106.122.149

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   

You might want to ask Luke at us coach in south jersey. He did mine the last time an was reasonable. Mike4905
hiwaycallin (Hiwaycallin)
Registered Member
Username: Hiwaycallin

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 208.98.218.106

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   

quote:

http://www.havebus.com/no_29_int.htm

... and the floorplan is here...

http://www.havebus.com/no_29_specs.htm

... sleeps 33 ... wow, that must be some sort of record
Dan West (Utahclaimjumper)
Registered Member
Username: Utahclaimjumper

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 208.66.38.60

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   

Laryn, You may find that your tune-up wont be as costly as you think, I planed a trip to see my brother in so. Oregon last year and wanted to include a trip to So. Oregon Diesel for a tune, they have an excellent rep. I did it and they did it including rebuilding my jakes with new pistons and springs, BIG SURPRIZE!! $318.00 total, what great deal, runs great.>>>Dan
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 74.33.46.111

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   

Dan,I heard Dwayne the 2 stroke guy is not there any longer.I would call and check for sure David and Dennis are not taking on any new bus customers.
Jim Schrecengost (Schrec)
Registered Member
Username: Schrec

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 24.2.127.94

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   

Laryn, When looking for foam I bought two 4 inch king size foam toppers off of ebay. Used an electric kitchen carving knife to cut out both sides of the dinnette and 3 30 x 76 bunks. worked well and wasn't too expensive. Schrec
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 66.82.162.11

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:47 am:   

"Having experienced sleeping on quite a few 'dinettes", we eliminated them from our current bus and the new one will also not have one. I understand the need for additional sleeping space.

The two biggest problems is getting the angle of the back to seat correct to be comfortable, and picking the right density foam.

The seat angle I can't help with other than 90 degrees is very uncomfortable unless the seat is wide and the back padding pretty big and soft or cut at an angle which makes using them for the bed difficult.

The problem with the foam is that if you pick a dense enough foam to support all your weight when sitting, it is way to firm to sleep on. Soft enough to sleep on and it feels like sitting on the plywood frame, which of course you are."

Don has it just right a dinette sucks at doing two jobs.

So pick one (probably a place to eat) and accept the fact that it will suck as a place to sleep.

In the archives should be a diagram of a fine seat bottom and back , 5 sections , but EZ to build and comfortable to sit at , even with NO foam.

Be sure to incorperate stowage in the seat bottom.

With a ply slab hatches can be used, but for our more comfortable design the favorite is milk crates , cut in height to fit the height available , and slid in below.

There out of sight , but EZ to load or unload.

FF
David Dulmage (Daved)
Registered Member
Username: Daved

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 142.46.199.30

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:33 am:   

We bought our dinette from a large RV dealer, who had taken it out of a new motor home. It needed some improvements to its construction, but the upholstery was quite nice and it makes a very comfortable bed when needed.

Dinette

(Message edited by DaveD on February 10, 2009)

(Message edited by DaveD on February 10, 2009)
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 66.165.176.62

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:00 am:   

Sorry I forgot to reply. I have a detroit guy near Atlanta here who does good work. He used to work for WW Williams and is on his own now. He drove 150 miles round trip, ran the rack, adjusted the governor, checked valve adjustment and inspected my blower seals for a grand total of $375. He works on a $50 an hour labor rate. COntact info is

Ronnie
770-616-9216

I have a 6-71 Nat with Jakes
Patrick levenson (Zubzub)
Registered Member
Username: Zubzub

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 76.66.192.33

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   

$375 is a good wage for a days work. And if I ever need to pull the head gasket whatever I'll be able to put it back together again and hit the road.
Jerry Liebler (Jerry_liebler)
Registered Member
Username: Jerry_liebler

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 75.117.209.18

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   

Laryn,
I asked almost the same question several years ago and got similar non answers. I ended up "designing" and building my own version of a dinette that converts to a bed and yet is comfortable to sit in. As a bed it has a 36" wide and 72" long sleep surface, about twin size. I built it out of hard maple and maple veneer plywood, some 1/4" and some 3/4". I bought 4" ILD 55 foam for the cushions and had a local upholstery shop make cushions with of fabric of my wife's choice. Both the seats are "toy boxes" with hinged 3/4" plywood seat surfaces. The sides of the toy boxes are frames of 1x3 maple with 1/4" panels . The seat backs are also frames of 1 x 3 with a 1/4" plywood surface. The seat backs are hinged along their horizontal center line so that they are at 90 degrees in the bed position and angled out at the top for seating. The backs are 21" tall and the top is 6" further out than the bottom in the seating position. I have a hinged "block" that holds the seat back in the not 90 degree position for seating use. My cushions are 2 each at 17 x 36 and 2 each at 19 x 36. In the seating arangement the 17 " cushion sits on the 'toybox ' top and the 19" cushion sits atop the lower cushion and extends slightly above the wood back. My upholsterer added velcro strips that do a great job of holding the cushions together as seats. The seat back framework is a simple extension of the 1x3 outer corners of the toybox with the top end cut at the angle of the seat back in the seating position. The result is comfortable seating and a rather 'firm', but flat bed. The floor area of the dinette is 36" x 80", about 6" shorter than it would be if the seat backs were'nt hinged.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 70.210.252.73

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   

Jerry....where ya been??? long time no hear from(I think) :-) :-)

RCB
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 70.210.252.73

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   

Laryn...FWIW, I built a "table" that hinges at the window line and "drops" to the floor when not in use. Make it as long or short as you want, but, of course, can only be 28+- inches wide. We use fold up Captains chairs and therefore have mucho room (width of the coach)if we need or want it.

Also, the couch, loveseat or whatever, swings around from the opposite side (normally against the driver sidewall); lotsa' flexibility and walking (sleeping) room as needed.....or not.

FWIW

RCB
Laryn Christley (Barn_owl)
Registered Member
Username: Barn_owl

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 72.66.177.57

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:14 am:   

RCB,

You have my curiosity up big time. I had some thoughts in my head about how great it would be to have a loveseat that could be change around. Where did you get your folding captains chairs and loveseat? And the most important part: Can you send me some photos just to give me an idea of how your setup works? Why does the table have to be 28”? I was wondering about the table width, and one thing I didn’t like about most dinettes I see is that the table seems “shorted” from bench to bench, compared to restaurant tables that seem to overhang the seat a little. Doesn’t that cause one to feel like the table is to far away? Or cause one to have to sit up closer? I am hoping to get as much of an education from everyone as possible before I build something I hate.

I know some have mentioned that they don’t like, or didn’t want, a dinette. I felt the same way until my family took a trip with my father in his bus. My children surprised me and spent a lot of time at the dinette playing games and hanging out while we traveled. So now I have come full circle and want to put one in, albeit a comfortable on.

Thanks,

Barn Owl
Don Evans (Doninwa)
Registered Member
Username: Doninwa

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 208.81.157.90

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 2:08 am:   

"I was wondering about the table width, and one thing I didn’t like about most dinettes I see is that the table seems “shorted” from bench to bench, compared to restaurant tables that seem to overhang the seat a little."

I think it is because the table usually needs to go straight down and sit on cleats to make the dinette into a bed. Thus it is no wider than the gap between seats. With a little thought it could be made wider with folding or sliding extensions. Or maybe design it so it turns 90 degrees before lowering it to the bed position.

Good luck
Don 4107
Tom Yaegle (Tom_5c)
Registered Member
Username: Tom_5c

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 96.247.131.181

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   

Barn Owl, Another idea for you. I got a couple rear seats from conversion vans. The ones that lay out into a bed, they are a bench seat and a little to wide. I planned to cut them down and use them but I came across a pair from a small rv. They are the right width and lay flat to a bed or flip over to seat facing the other way. The down side is a low back, for me any way. Tom Y
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 75.211.14.83

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   

Laryn....patience, please :-):-)....I'll look for them in my personal archives...If I don't have pics, I'll take some.

RCB
joe padberg (Joemc7ab)
Registered Member
Username: Joemc7ab

Post Number: 334
Posted From: 66.38.159.33

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   

Laryn

Our dinete is like most that you will find 36x77 inches.

Checked our old minivan (chrysler) mid 90's and the second seat, which folds flat is 39 inches wide. Seating comfort is decent, sleeping?
A pair of those facing each other might be something that warrants a closer look.

Joe.
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 69.19.14.31

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 6:54 am:   

Find an old Superior MH and use the entire setup.

Seats will fold or face in either direction and has storage below.

There made as seats so still suck as bunks , as does the process of stowing the table , but there the best I have seen , so far.

FF
don goldsmith (Bottomacher)
Registered Member
Username: Bottomacher

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 72.15.86.59

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 8:07 am:   

It's been a while, but I used to see some pretty nice ideas for extra sleeping space in boats of about 32-40 feet at the boat shows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration