New Member- Bus Pics Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » New Member- Bus Pics « Previous Next »

Jim Wallin (Powderseeker01)
Registered Member
Username: Powderseeker01

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.200.39.126

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:32 am:   

Hi All- I've been lurking in the background for quite a while and renovating our ole 4107 in the meantime. I have posted pictures of the progress at http://photobucket.com/powderseeker01-PD4107-627 for anyone who may be interested in viewing the transformation. Thanks to Ian and Jack C for getting me hooked up to post here.
Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 216.163.56.194

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:39 am:   

Looks great! What did you use for your wall skin? It looks like drywall. Keep up the good work!
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 75.209.43.235

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:46 am:   

Hi, Jim......welcome aboard....this is a great "hobby", or???. Nice documentation and work!! :-)

Curiosity...is that all sheetrock"?

RCB
'64 Crown Supercoach (HWC)
Registered Member

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:59 am:   

Thanks for the feedback...yes, it is all sheetrock. I thought that might raise a few eyebrows. FYI, Between installing the sheetrock and finishing it I drove the bus from Florida to Colorado no problem. But you may have noticed that both the framing and the rock itself have "lots" of screws.
Patrick levenson (Zubzub)
Registered Member
Username: Zubzub

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 69.159.120.161

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:03 am:   

let me guess... You've laid a little drywall in your day? Nice different look using the drywall.
go fast guy (Paul_klyczek)
Registered Member
Username: Paul_klyczek

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.209.193.166

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   

jim,I've been lurking a while also, so hello all. What a great project you have. How did your Colorado trip go?
Registered Member

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   

Yes, I've done a little drywall in my day.... and the trip to Colorado (I was moving there) went better than I could've hoped. Made it in three days and didn't experience any problems at all. Of course since I was in a hurry to get there and was pushing the ole girl a bit, my mpg was hovering around 5.5, which was a little painful given the diesel price last October was about $3.00. But all's well that ends well, right?
Keith Wood (Ft6)
Registered Member
Username: Ft6

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 75.208.233.232

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   

The only thing I would worry about is that your whole coach is flexing (especially those sheet metal studs), and sheetrock breaks down when it's flexed.

I think you can prevent that by cutting the sheetrock into small sections, and mounting each separately with a tiny gap between them using joint tape and latex paint.
Greg Roberts (Eagle 20) (Gregeagle20)
Registered Member
Username: Gregeagle20

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 66.18.167.76

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   

Pretty cool looking I have to say. I am curious what you are doing to avoid drywall cracking with the flex of the bus? I am sure there is well thought out way to install it so that the joints are in the right places and gaps are in the right places. Maybe the bus won't flex enough beyond the rate of the drywall?
Registered Member

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   

Thanks for your concern regarding the flexing of the drywall. I don't know too much about the construction of busses other than the 4107, but the monocoque unibody design provides an amazing amount of torsional rigidity. This characteristic when combined with the closed cell foam insulation that I installed provides an extremely solid foundation. My experience to date, while limited to only about 3500 road miles, has not indicated any issues. Regarding the steel studs, in this application as interior partition walls, the forces applied to them (if any) are in compression, which they are designed to withstand. Finally, drywall by nature is flexible in one axis at a time. Since it is installed in a cylinder, any forces applied would seemingly be in the same plane. But as we all know, time will tell, but I am happy with the results so far.
david anderson (Davidanderson)
Registered Member
Username: Davidanderson

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 69.153.52.140

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   

Hey Jim,

Welcome aboard. Your coach looks really good. You are the first busnut I've seen using rock. Be sure and let us know how she is doing after about 15k miles. Several have asked about sheetrock in the past, but no one had any experience. Thanks for the photos.

David
Troy Burcham (Badlybentmc7)
Registered Member
Username: Badlybentmc7

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.19.14.40

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   

Great job,Keep up the good work,You have a full time hobby now ready or not.I like the look so far CLEAN,If you are in colorado have you considerd insulation on the out side tooooo.lol. Its cold up there ,good luck TROY,JUDY,and TATER.
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 71.55.228.218

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   

great job I must say ole chap and welcome to the wonderful world of BUSNUTS!!! As you can tell everybody here is one, one way or other. If you need more practice come on down to sunny Florida and we will get some others to join us in my new garage or dog house whichever, and I will make sure we have enough coffee,tea,sprite,water. No Alchol tho!

gomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:22 am:   

Thank you all for the nice comments and suggestions. We have tried to design everything with fulltiming in mind, I will continue to add pictures to the scrapbook as things progress over the next few months and hopefully we'll get moved in on schedule in May.
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 217.35.103.132

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:54 am:   

Welcome and Good Luck!

We are moving into ours in March or April. So I kinda know what you're going through in trying to get 'er ready.

Ours won't be finished when we move in, but it will be liveable and who knows, we might see something we wish to change.....Course that never happens...LOL

I've subscribed to your Photobucket so I can keep up with the updates. You can see our story here www.uniquebusconversion.com

Take Care,

Paul
Keith Wood (Ft6)
Registered Member

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 75.209.63.131

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   

Jim, a monocoque shell has stress going in all 3 axes at the same time. The GMCs are designed to distribute much of that stress through the floor, which moves in relation to the walls and ceiling (this is why you use plywood, NOT waferwood or any "sawdust in suspension" material).

Your floor handles some of the forces to keep the left and right sides parallel to each other (rather than bowing in or out), and a major portion of the forces keeping the sides from "advancing" (that is, one side moving ahead of the other as you drive).

If your drywall is anchored to the floor, wall and ceiling, those forces are being transmitted through the panels.

Have you ever been following a semi and notice the rear doors rubbing against each other, or the doorframe flexing? That's what's happening in your coach. The people who build semi trailers leave a little slack in the door design to prevent damage, even when using steel reinforcement (the door latch system).

The crown in your ceiling isn't there for headroom, it's there to distribute stress forces more evenly and prevent "oil canning" (where a flat surface flexes to extremes).

If you want to know how much flex your own coach has, get a couple of rolls of kite string and some Scotch tape. Run the string floor like a spiderweb, attaching with the tape at various points of the floor, walls and ceiling. Especially run some from the drywall to various parts of the coach, and from corner to corner across the surface of the drywall itself.

Then drive down the highway for half an hour, turn around and come back. Watch the strings as they go tight and slack. You will probably see some yank right off the wall. If any of these are strings attached to the drywall, that shows you the force affecting it. If you see tight or slack of the string across the face of the drywall, that means the drywall is absorbing the stress rather than transmitting it away.
Keith Wood (Ft6)
Registered Member

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 75.209.63.131

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   

Oh, BTW, steel studs are definitely the way to go. For a coach conversion, they are superior in every way to using wood.
Josh McElhiney (Zcommanager)
Registered Member
Username: Zcommanager

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 166.217.17.217

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   

Welcome aboard Jim. You seem to be moving along quite nicely with 'the old girl.' The quality of your craftsmanship is quite nice as well. I'm anxious to see the progress with her, as I am hopefully going to be starting on mine in the near future, and I am always looking around for ideas or unique features.
Good Work and Good Luck,

Josh
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 70.212.235.176

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   

"Oh, BTW, steel studs are definitely the way to go. For a coach conversion, they are superior in every way to using wood."

Keith, having worked with both for many years, curious what drew you to that conclusion?

RCB
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1331
Posted From: 71.58.110.9

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   

You'll have to be careful where they are attached to aluminum. Be interested how that drywall holds up after finished and loaded. Don't they also make a type that has fibreglass strands through it. How about screw head pops; especially from temp and moisture extremes. That area you built in around steps create several cubbyhole possibilities for small access doors if there is any dead space behind them. You never have enough cubbyholes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration