Hot water heater Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » Hot water heater « Previous Next »

john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   

Is there any rule of thumb as to how far a water heater should be from a fuel fill for diesel? I know diesel does not give off combustible fumes like gas. Gas /electric waterheater.
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 76.246.252.104

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:22 am:   

John,

I'm sure there is a spec somewhere for diesel, and I don't know what it is. But the RV industry ANSI code, now under NFPA 58, lists no ignition point within 15 ft in all directions from a cylinder fill point for LPG. Granted, LPG vapors are more combustible than diesel in the presence of an ignition source. The point being 15 ft using diesel should be adequate if it is safe for LPG.

I'm mounting all my flame sources on the opposite side of the bus from the fuel entrance, but if I end up in a fueling bay with gasoline and diesel pumps, I always turn off the ignition sources. I may be pumping diesel, but the guy next to me may be pumping gasoline.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 967
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:10 am:   

Chuck,
Smart move. Another facter, when fueling, is wind speed and direction around the pumps. Jack
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:51 am:   

" no ignition point within 15 ft in all directions from a cylinder fill point for LPG"
What do mini motorhomes do? All the truck stops and gas stations have rows of pumps so even with the tank on the drivers side it will be near the next row of pumps. I think turning off the hot water heater when filling makes a lot of sence. Thinking about putting a lable buy the fill to remind me. But back to my question, it is not about the LPG tank or fill but the diesel fill. And the location of the hotwater heater that has a spark and flame.
Keith Wood (Ft6)
Registered Member
Username: Ft6

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 75.209.128.8

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   

Modern appliance are pilotless. If your water heater is electric ignition, you can put a cutoff switch on the circuit that tells it to light, and flip that switch before pulling into a fuel stop (this is one more advantage to tankless water heaters -- they only light when you are using hot water).

As far as how close your water heater can be to the fuel cap, figure on putting your propane tanks near the fuel cap, and the water heater as far from both of those as practical.

If your heater has an "enclosed space mounting" option, you can draw your burn air from anywhere that you can run the intake hose.
Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 216.163.56.194

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   

Easiest to keep it on the opposite side of te bus. Besides - do you want the heat coming out of the exhaust to get under an awning or close to the door?

Glenn
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 66.82.9.61

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:39 am:   

Like basement Air cond exhaust ,generator exhaust the HW heater is usually on the drivers side so the stench and fumes blow into the next guys campsite.

FF
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess)
Registered Member
Username: Sffess

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 66.38.120.219

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   

Diesel should not ignite from a nearby flame unless they have drastically changed the formula. Propane and gasoline are much more volatile and ignite from vapors.

Jack, is that why firetrucks are diesel?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration