Air dryer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » Air dryer « Previous Next »

frankdegroot (Coach)
Registered Member
Username: Coach

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 74.15.245.93

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   

Kind of curious about what tells the air dryer to go off.It seems to it when the compresser meets its max pressure.If anybody would like to share there wisdom it would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   

Frank
When the air pressure meets the set value (120 psi) the govenor mounted on the air compressor stops the compressor from pumping the air up any futher. There is a small line from the govenor to the air dryer that triggers the blow off valve. That is basicly how it operates.
frankdegroot (Coach)
Registered Member
Username: Coach

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 74.15.245.93

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   

Thanks Bill
That gives me a better idea of what is going on under there.
David Guglielmetti (Daveg)
Registered Member
Username: Daveg

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.238.199.247

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:35 am:   

Like Bill said, the dryer gets a "signal" from the governor on the compressor via one of the 1/4" lines. Governors are cheap and do wear out so don't feel bad about replacing it if you suspect it...they are only $10-$35 depending on what you get so even if you replace it and that doesn't fix your problem you can carry the one you took off for a spare.
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 76.246.252.104

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   

Bill and David,

On the same subject:

I will have an electric air compressor to keep air up in my coach all the time (door operation, etc.)and my question is will the air dryer blow off at 120 psi with no power from bus and engine not running?

If so, is the solution to limit the electric compressor to 115 psi? Or is there a better way? Thanks.
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   

Chuck
From what I remember is the air pressure will build up to the point of the safety valve then blow off. There is a check valve just after the compressor so the air won't back feed to the compressor when you put in more with your electric one. Easiest way is to set the electric one for 120 psi or less. It would have to be a pretty good electric compressor to build up to more then 100 psi anyway.
David Guglielmetti (Daveg)
Registered Member
Username: Daveg

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.238.199.247

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   

The safety pop off is probably set at 150psi, even though the D2 governor valve may cycle the compressor off at 120 or so. No problem with an electric compressor that shuts off at less than 150
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1502
Posted From: 76.71.102.226

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:26 am:   

Chuck, I am assuming you do not want the air drier blowing off while on campground duty....

Just set the electric compressor to stop running a little short of the coach's own air pressure maximum.

A caution... The air drier will be saturated after the first cycle, and some more moisture than normal running will get past to the wet tank.

You will want to be determining how much more frequently you need to be draining your wet tank to keep things nice and dry inside.

If you get a lot, drain more often.

happycoaching!
buswarrior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration