Planning for a tow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » Planning for a tow « Previous Next »

frankdegroot (Coach)
Registered Member
Username: Coach

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 70.31.86.214

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   

I have been thinking a lot about needing a tow.I have had no problems so far but I don t want to be nieve about inevetable.If anybody would like to share their experiences on getting a coach towed,cost,emotional trama,insurance that would be great.
Thanks again
coach
Ednj (Ednj)
Registered Member
Username: Ednj

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 68.197.95.38

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   

Read this= http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/11/25263.html?1235953139 .
I got lucky when I needed a tow, John from
http://www.evolutioncustomcoach.com/ , came out to tow my bus.
towing buses are part of his business and he knows what he is doing.
His truck uses a wheel lift.
Always make sure they pull the rear axle.
I guess you could reach under and drag it from the front axle if you have too.

(Message edited by ednj on March 02, 2009)
Mike Eades (Mike4905)
Registered Member
Username: Mike4905

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 97.106.122.149

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   

I have been towed a number of times and all but once from the front. They have to pull the rear axle ut the bus'''' is lighter in the front than the rear and is easier to reach and hook. The second point is it is very hard to tie off the steering wheel t tow from the rear. If you have a nice interior you don,t want the wheel tied to anything like your seat or do you want a steering stick hitting anything. Mike
norcal kyle (Kylexisxrad)
Registered Member
Username: Kylexisxrad

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 216.220.216.174

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   

I spent the autumn of 07 driving a band around the country in an Eagle that was put away VERY wet MANY times and had the lovely experience of being behind the hook 9 times in 8 weeks.

that was over once a week.

no bueno.

I learned that the stress level of being towed is directly related to WHERE you're broken down(side of the road, middle of an intersection, or in a parking lot) WHY you're broken down(expensive repairs just make it no fun), and WHEN you're due at your destination(cause being late is never good).
a few tips I learned to help speed it along:

-make sure your bus has a quick-disconnect air fitting so the tow truck driver can quickly air up the tanks from his truck and you can release the brakes. if you don't have one, put one on.
-carry a sledgehammer and a wrench and have your axles pulled when he gets there. if you don't have bags and axle caps, at least maybe have them knocked loose and the oil drained into a jug.
-make sure when you find out who's towing you, call them and tell them to make ABSOLUTLY sure that the tow truck has a BUS KIT on board, some places call it a wheel lift. instead of lifting the front of the coach on forks from the axle, it lifts it from the steer tires. I'm not absolutly sure on your MCI, but Eagles have independent front suspention, and it has to be done this way to prevent damage to it.
-patience. some tow truck drivers are awesome, some not at all. be patient with them, especially if your paying them by the hour. make him amd and he might just take a bit longer.

we went through Progressive's RV division. they had roadside assistance and it covered the bus. probably not the cheapest, but they towed it everytime it needed it. one time it was 120mi fron Vinita, OK to Springfield, MO. Kevin from Abertson's Tow in Tulsa was one of the greatest towmen I encountered. great guy.

just my experience.

kyle in norcal
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 534
Posted From: 75.209.132.153

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   

Kyle....good information, great post. Thanx....and FWIW, I agree. BTDT. :-)

RCB
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 67.142.130.15

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   

We have Coach-Net through FMCA. Also now available through Escapees. Costs about $100 per year, and they've towed us twice and changed two tires in the last four years, so we are money ahead.

Coach-Net has a pretty sophisticated database. They know we are a 48,000 lb bus, and have never sent a wrecker that was too small for the job.

I highly recommend them.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Kyle Brandt (Kyle4501)
Registered Member
Username: Kyle4501

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 65.23.106.193

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   

My bus is just under 11 ft tall, so I can have it hauled on a landoll. Since mine are vintage mid 50's, some won't tow it on a hook, trailer only.

I've not had any issues at all with the landol tows. as long as the brakes are off, no air needed.

The better prepared you are, the less stress there is.
frankdegroot (Coach)
Registered Member
Username: Coach

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 70.31.86.214

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   

I phoned Progressive camping world 1 888 803 1528 and specified coach for emergency roadside service.They quoted me 79.95.This seems to be very reasonable.Am I missing something?If not again I appreciate your help.
coach
Ednj (Ednj)
Registered Member
Username: Ednj

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 68.197.95.38

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   

I phoned Progressive camping world 1 888 803 1528 and specified coach for emergency roadside service.They quoted me 79.95.This seems to be very reasonable.Am I missing something?If not again I appreciate your help.
coach
>
I would check and make sure that it a tow to your garage not just off the highway.
Mike Eades (Mike4905)
Registered Member
Username: Mike4905

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 97.106.122.149

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   

I had my tow with allstate. They towed me from Richmand, VA to US Coach in Berlin, NJ. No problem. 79.95 a year. I thought that was good.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration