California travel - pros/cons Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » California travel - pros/cons « Previous Next »

Doyle Gaither (Texasborderdude)
Registered Member
Username: Texasborderdude

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 70.212.222.133

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:00 am:   

Well hibernation is about done and I'm preparing to travel north and west from Apache Junction, Az. (Phoenix) I'm trying to decide if I'll go through northern California. I'm almost 74' in length with my trailer and was thinking of seeing the Redwoods. I obviously don't want to ask for trouble. Can anyone share recent looooong-rig experiences? Recommend routes? Thanks,

dg
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   

I live in Northern CA in the Redwoods at the coast. There are 3 routes that I know of. First PCH not bad most of the way but there are some areas you will not make. One north of SF that is hard in a car. The second and third are the 199 and 299 both have restrictions on length.You can take the 5 through CA into Oregon but you will miss the Redwoods, and beach. I drive my 40 footer on the 199 and have no problem.
Here is a link to the DOT that will give you info on restrictions.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/45-bus-map.htm
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1518
Posted From: 71.195.121.174

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   

Depending on where you're headed and your time frame, there are several options:

1. Hiway 1 NB, from San Luis Obispo to Santa Cruz. Gorgeous drive, but a lot of work in some spots. Tour buses run this both directions all summer long. If you want to see ostentatious opulance, stop at Hearst's Castle in San Simeon.

2. Hiway 9 from Santa Cruz to Skyline Blvd. Henry Cowell Redwoods and Big Basin State Parks are both along this route. Best check with them by phone to see if you'd fit.

3. Skyline Blvd to Hiway 35 takes you along the top of the Coast Range. Views of the Bay Area on your right and of the Pacific on your left here and there between the trees. If you'd rather not take this road, then continue on Hiway 9 from Skyline dropping down into quaint Saratoga and pick up Hiway 85 > I-280 NB into San Francisco.

4. NB out of San Francisco, you have another couple of options. Hiway 1 again, or Hiway 101. Pick up Hiway 1 just N of Sausalito and take it all the way to Ft. Bragg, then come back over to Hiway 101 to continue N. I would not recommend going further N on Hiway 1 from Ft. Bragg w/ the trailer - in several places a 40-foot coach has to take both sides of the road to make the turns. On a positive note, the coastline around Mendocino looks very much like the west coast of Ireland!

5. Hiway 101 out of SF is the faster route, as it's the main hiway. N of Garberville, pick up Hiway 254, also known as the Avenue of the Giants. This is also the old hiway, from before the freeway was built, and basically parallels the freeway. Beautiful drive, with several jumping on/off places if you get bored.

6. After jumping back on Hiway 101 NB from Ave of the Giants, continue on into Eureka. From here, depending on your plans, you can either take Hiway 299 back over to Redding and I-5, or continue N on 101 to Crescent City, where you can choose 101 or 199 into OR. (199 will take you by HB of CJ's place, btw.)

7. Is Yosemite National Park possibly on your agenda? If so, you'd be more than welcome to drop your trailer at my place here in Fresno for a day trip to the park. Or leave the coach and take the toad, either way. Come up 99 > 41 from Bakersfield, overnight out front, hit the park for a day, overnight again out front, then SB on 41 to Paso Robles to Morro Bay and pick up Hiway 1 to go up the coast.

Lots of info, will take you a little Google Mapping to figure it out, so enjoy. If I can help more, send me a note privately, addy's in profile.

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1519
Posted From: 71.195.121.174

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   

Doyle -

Since you're driving a 40-foot Eagle and pulling a trailer, you might also take a look at CalTrans' Truck Route maps, as these may be a little closer to the "combo" you've got:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/truckmap/

Pay particular attention to areas where there's a KPRA restriction (king pin to rear axle). Those are the really tight turn spots.

Based on the truck route maps, some of my suggestions become moot points, sadly. :-(

Isn't trip planning fun?

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 659
Posted From: 74.32.92.133

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   

Doyle are you and Coffee going to stop by so we can raise your bus.give me a call
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   

199 will take you by HB of CJ's place, btw
I live in Crescent City and take that route to go to medford. Who are HB and CJ ?
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1270
Posted From: 65.74.69.188

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   

RJ is talking about Henry of Cave Junction.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration