Generator placement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » Generator placement « Previous Next »

john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   

I am thinking abought puting diesel generator in the engine compartment were the air use to be. Plenty of room. I remember reading in a old post that heat was a problem. With a diesel gen set and diesel motor is there that much heat?
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 71.239.202.82

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   

Heat is no more or less a problem than any other engine of its size.

You are referring to the pass.side compartment? Even if you have pulled the OTR/AC evaporator on the drivers side the heater core and the blowers for that are over there?????????? So that leaved the pass side where you can empty that bay the condenser and blowers are unnecessary but I sure would not want it on the pass side. Liberty crams the gen in the plumbing bay drivers side to help with weight distribution but they are alone on that design. Ours and most are the second bay back drivers side.

You should not rip out the OTR A/C but if you insist I will buy some of your discarded stuff if you remove it without damage.

Liquid cooled 4 cyl with its own radiator and blower you need a full bay to fit that the HVAC bays are too small.

(Message edited by Joe Camper on March 06, 2009)
Ray Drummond (Ray_d)
Registered Member
Username: Ray_d

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 68.124.103.221

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   

I have an XL and that is where I put it. I built a metal box for it and it just barely fit, I put in an 8KW, will be a bear to work on, but it sure saved some room. Will send some pics of it if you want. I hooked the cooling up to the engine. XXXXrdrum1@sbcglobal.netXXX

Ray D
ED Hackenbruch (Shadowman)
Registered Member
Username: Shadowman

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 68.27.82.69

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   

PO installed an Onan propane genset in the engine compartment on the passenger side. Only drawback that i have is trying to access that side of the engine as there is not a lot of room around it. Bus is a mci 5A
Roger Baughman (Roger)
Registered Member
Username: Roger

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 69.232.74.154

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:42 am:   

There is a web site by Fred Hobe that shows how to install a gen in the air condensor compartment on the drivers side on a MCI. The web address is http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/fredhobe.htm He has some good ideas that in on the site. Good luck, Roger
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 981
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:27 am:   

I was told by PowerTech that the generator head should not be operated above 120 degrees (looses efficiency and may be damaged). The engine compartment of our MC-8 runs about 140-150 degrees with ambient temps in the 90s. Highest temp we have seen was 175 when climbing a grade with ambient temp of 105 degrees.
Since other have successfully done this, it can be done. I would follow there lead and see how they did theirs. Jack
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 9:14 am:   

Thanks, When I got the bus all the AC had been removed by PO so on the passangers side there is a lot of space.
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   

I have these surplus 24 VDC military generators , they run opposed gas 4 cyl,they lay flat, run even smother than a BMW bike. I will convert them to clean burning propane and install one in the spare tire compartment, and install a ac compressor, incorporate co-gen heat recovery/disposal of waste combustion heat for domestic use. Add a little clever ducting to keep ambient temperature within opperation tolerances ; I had also consider the engine compartment if I ever decide to junk the heavy factory A/C compressor.
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 833
Posted From: 208.54.200.138

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   

Cliff,

It sounds as if your military gen is the same as my little 3KW 120/240V four cyl air cooled one. If so, that is the noisiest thing ever invented.

Give serious consideration to this. this gen was designed to run out in the open.

It runs fast and hot, really hot. The two mufflers about two feet from the engine run cherry red on mine.

It is a great little gen, saved my bacon during our recent ice storm. However, I would never consider having this thing in my bus.

The 24V gen was designed for starting military vehicles which are all 24V. Make sure it is rated for constant running.
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:35 am:   

umh cliff is my brother , but I always seem to get called that, even by my parents and those that never met him! funny hey ?

gee gusc ...could it be the same engine, it is a 32 cid , down rated to 6 hp at the pulleys but from a potential 23 hp, weights just 123 lbs,the APU generator is rated at 4.2 kw/24 vdc continues with limited duty to 9.2 kw, the engine was made by chysler marine originally , then by Wisconsin on licence.
They runs so smooth due and vibration free (due to the opposed 4 cyl layout) you could rest a glass of nitroglycerin on it. While the factory exhaust does need a bit of modification, the original dual mufflers were not that bad, but mine were all new, perhaps your have just rusted out the baffles. The air cooling is really good on these variations with a huge blower cage built into the flywheel, while the engine was used in many application there were differences. My collection of APU's was intended for mobile command post systems used with the Canadian military, to run the power system on communications and missile artillery systems. Very Elctro Magnetic Pulse resistant too ( which is part of my overall bus design intention, to survive that eventual "78 year solar storm" that is now years overdue) I do have repair manuals on cd if you ever need (if we are talking about the same engine). There were a lot of this style of engine still out there in surplus sales land, last time I looked, the engine saw very universal service with the yanks in many applications too, (pumps and such) I understand. One of the things beyond the incredible smooth running (and the fact I have four new ones) that makes me consider the spare tire bay is the fact they fit right in there once the roll cage is removed. I am looking into incorporating air to air heat exchangers into factory bus heating ductwork, maybe a liquid heat exchanger on the exhaust system for hot water needs. What to do when you have to much of one kind of junk is the catch I think.
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 719
Posted From: 66.82.9.75

Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 8:44 am:   

IF anyone would like to "roll their own" generator I have a Lister Peter single that was part of a Koler genset. It is heat exchanger cooled and was about 4kw.

I think it would be great hooked to a bus alternator with a Trace inverter for AC use , otherwise as a battery charger suprime.

$300. in Ortona FL.

FAST FRED
Registered Member

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 72.127.92.212

Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   

If you want to stay cool in the summer and you do not want to leave it to chance you are going to need 3 a/c units. Even if you have the ability to do it with 2 (very doubtful on a very hot day) what if 1 fails? You need 3. Unless you want to shut everything else down to run them you better consider more than 8K, more like 15 is correct.

The passenger side is no place for a generator. Under the awning side no good. If you use a 8k or stuff a bigger one into the condenser bay where will you put the radiator for it.

Drivers side second bay that is where you will find them on 90 out of 100 Prevo conversions. If there was a better place for it someone would have figured it out by now.
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 547
Posted From: 75.209.117.233

Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   

Mine is in the "trunk"......:-) :-) right under the bed....but haven't (in 8 years) needed a night time "cooling"...:-) :-)

(you'll understand when you get to be my age...)

RCB
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 834
Posted From: 208.54.200.104

Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   

Clint,

Sorry about that, the ole eyes ain't what they used to be!

Yep, same engine, 4A032-II. Great little engine which appears to be a smaller copy of Continental aircraft engines of long ago. Mine is also by Chrysler Marine but it is not unusual for branded military stuff to be mfg by numerous sources.

My genset has total hours of 15 so it is in pretty good shape. I suppose different mufflers might improve things a bit but this baby really rattles and rolls.

I was in no way trying to discourage you, I only meant that noise is a big consideration if mine is any example.

The cooling blower has a thermostat controlled shutter on it and the air intake also has summer and winter settings. The air intake setting lever is not easy to see. Even though it is shown in the manual it took me a while to find it.

I think the blower shutter will need to be incorporated into your duct system. What I'm saying is the layout will need some careful planning.

I also think your bus compartment will need a lot of heat resistant insulation which will make things much quieter.

I'm anxious to see how this project goes, please keep us advised.

Thanks for the CD manual offer but I have both gen and engine paper manuals. I really feel lost if I don't have manuals for all of my stuff.(Too much stuff!!)

It is interesting that yours is 4.2KW and mine is only 3KW, same engine?? Maybe it is because of DC vs AC?
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:09 am:   

Most Prevost probably put the generator in the open bay because they have the OTR air still in the rear. If the PO had not removed it I would not consider the rear. If I put it in the driver side second compartment, I will have fumes under my windows and next to any camper next to me. Running exhaust through the roof at that part of the coach would not work as I have 5 windows in a row there. If I put it in the engine compartment, all the sound reducing I have put in will give me more benefit. Plus the exhaust will be as far from any windows or vents as possible. Also not next to any neighboring campers.
Registered Member

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 204.116.190.234

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   

Our exhaust goes underneeth to the rear then up and out the roof.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration