Speedometer wiring Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Speedometer wiring « Previous Next »

john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   

My 92 XL came with a large speedo/tach/clock/odometer all in one unit. Speedo dose not work. OK called Prevost over a thousand dollars. OK every one I have seen converted has switched to the small separate VDO units. So I got me a set. Came with basic instructions. The new ones only need 3 wires each pos. neg. and signal. But the old one has 12 wires. So I called Prevost and that has been a run around for months talking to different parts and service people none have been able to give me an answer. Can any one tell me what I need to do ?
Old unit has 3 plugs
(A) white in color 5 wires
Red #90, Red # 114, Red #85A

(B) yellow in color 4 wires
Red,Black,white and green

(C) Red in color 3 wires
Red,Black and white
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 1006
Posted From: 71.3.75.244

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   

I would look at the left front wheel or the transmission for a signal generator and see what color the wires are. You might get lucky and be able to match the wires to one of the plugs.
As a last shot, you might have to purchase a VDO signal generator that installs on the transmission of the left front wheel.
Several years ago, we had to replace the signal generator on our left front wheel when it failed. I think the new signal generator was around $25-30. We purchased it from Precision Speed http://www.precisionspeed.com/ Jack
Rob King (Skykingrob)
Registered Member
Username: Skykingrob

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 72.161.14.238

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   

John
I will be of little help on the wiring. My 91 XL has a small Dixon brand spedo which replaced the large Prevost unit sometime before I purchased the bus. However, what might be of some hlep is the signal generator is on the backside of the left front hub toward the rear of the coach. I found mine last summer when replacing the brake pads. With mine, the wires are all in a sleeve so helping with colors is not possible. However, I do have my dash apart, since I am working on rebuilding the dash from an OTR bus into a MTH, so will look at the connections to see if I could be of any help on that part for you.

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
Missouri
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1541
Posted From: 76.66.17.6

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   

Is there not a schematic for your dashboard in the electrical section of the Maintenance Manual?

Lots of those buses came with that all-in-one unit.

Who else has the schematic for this busnut?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration