Dryer vaenting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Dryer vaenting « Previous Next »

john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 71.92.155.232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   

I am installing a Splendide washer/Dryer vents out the rear around 2 1/2 inch opening. I was thinking abought runing the vent out the roof with 2 inch PVC and a reg. roof vent. Or out the bottom of the coach. I rather not put a lint filter in the line the one it has adds a few inches to the depth and seams funky. I see they sell a vent kit that mounts on the outside wall of the coach. It would look bad and I wounder about air flowing into the unit when going down the hiway. Any thoughts?
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 74.244.14.221

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   

Mine dryer is out the side as is the downflow hood on my range and I haven't noticed any issues with inflow but I do understand the concern with how it looks. FWIW the one for my hood is much more unsightly than my dryer. In this picture you can see the hood vent below the second window while the dryer is below the third window.
http://members.tccoa.com/timb/Flx/100_5825.jpg
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member

Post Number: 58

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   

Thanks Tim. Do you know what kind of vent it is. I can not see it very well?
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 64.55.111.6

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   

John,

I haven't done one in a coach yet, but as an air conditioning contractor, dryer vents are a part of doing a house.

So, a couple of thoughts:
Nothing can be in the pipe which WILL catch lint.
(We are prohibited from using screws to join metal pipe for obvious reasons.)
If you use PVC, make sure the flow is from male end to female end at joints, for the same reason.
Use long radius elbows if you have to turn.
Dryer exhaust is WET, and condensation will form on the inside of a cool pipe, and run back down.
I think a standard RV type plumbing vent cap will plug up, so:
Can you go out the bottom?
HTH,
G
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 689
Posted From: 74.32.92.133

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 12:07 am:   

John as a owner of a Splendide they will not dry no matter how you vent the unit but FWIW mine is vented to the bottom of the coach.I had to use the central vac piping for a vent I tried it regular PVC and it would always plug at the bend good luck
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 66.165.176.62

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:05 am:   

John it looks like a standard houshold type vent with sever little hinged slats. It's made out of plastic and connected to the dryer with a standard flexible hose. Looks like this http://www.castiastone.com/blocks/images/MB9.jpg
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 99.0.41.3

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 12:09 am:   

John,

We have a Splendide 2000 with a 3" vent. Contrary to popular opinion on this board (and maybe elsewhere), it washes and drys just fine on several occasions as a backup to the house units. And yes, it does take about 40% longer to dry a load than the 240vac house dryer unit. But it will not cut into our fulltiming schedule at all.

I have the standard heavy weight aluminum flexible 3" vent (not thin foil type) purchased from HD. The W/D is mounted just in front of the drive wheels slightly off centerline in the bathroom. It will vent down through the floor. No visible vent. No air flow noise.

Someone posted here recently on this subject that some park owners didn't want to see coaches with dryer vents as it indicated the owner was using too much water, too much power, and the park was loosing money at the laundry, etc. I don't think that attitude is common, but I am sure it does prevail with some park owners.
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 74.32.92.133

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 10:26 am:   

John, the Splendide does not have a drying element it dries by self condensing and 1 1/2 to 2 hours is a lot more than 40% drying time.My wife loves the unit but she hangs the clothes on a line to dry good luck
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:32 am:   

It has a high heat and half heat setting and a cool down period.

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to order a low profile vent that is paintable and vent straight out the side (made for this unit). I hope it will look good. I think the ease of installation the ease of cleaning any lint build up and the fact that it will give the dryer the best venting and hopefully the best performance.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration