Warning Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Warning « Previous Next »

Grant Thiessen (Busshawg)
Registered Member
Username: Busshawg

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 206.45.93.160

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 10:11 am:   

Just thought I'd take a minute to once again warn everyone of the cosquences of getting in a hurry! Last night I was working under my bus welding some plating in on the sides of the beam that holds the air bags in place. I was cutting the metal to fit in the shop and once it was a good fit I simply cleaned up the edges with a grinder. Well on the second last piece I was getting in a hurry as day light hours are limited when one works full time. I had been holding the previous pieces with a vise grip while grinding but this piece I simple just held with my hand. Well yep you guessed it, the ginder got away on me taking a chunk of finger and then proceeding onto my leg. Not a biggy but after the pain started to calm I sure did get mad at myself. We all know better including myself, but just thought I'd remind everyone that things can change very quickly!! Be careful guys !

Grant
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 71.55.197.237

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:03 am:   

Grant; sorry for the accident and that happens to about everyone that I know and my scars on my arms and legs and head might show someone to take your time even if you have to wait a little longer. An ounce of stupidty will last a lifetime.
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 70.60.107.86

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:16 am:   

A good principle to remind people of occasionally. Thanks.
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 619
Posted From: 75.211.2.73

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:34 am:   

Thanx for the reminder, Grant.! Man we humans can get complacent, huh? :-):-) (I have a missing fingertip and another that was sewn back on..two years apart...to prove that complacency!)

RCB
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1548
Posted From: 76.66.16.212

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   

And defend against fatigue!

At this point, rules around here: no chainsawing after lunch.

And perhaps, more kinds of power tools to be included in the afternoon ban.

Ask at the hospital, the injuries come in later in the day, as mind and body have been consumed.

Thanks for the reminder, and glad you were able to share!!!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 800
Posted From: 64.55.111.6

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   

Hey BW,

What time is a hammer off limits?

Har,
G
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1402
Posted From: 71.58.110.9

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   

I hope you were using safety goggles while using the grinder.
Marc_bourget (Marc_bourget)
Registered Member
Username: Marc_bourget

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 64.142.42.176

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   

To expand a bit on the scenario Grant presented, (for those without lots of exposure to metal fabrication and welding - all others can ignore this post)

If you're going to "plate" the air beam chambers, I'm assuming the borders will be welded. If so, you don't have to be too technical in cleaning up the edges that are to be welded. When I'm prepping edges, (if they weren't shaped with a cutting torch) I'm just deburring and there is little need to push the part into the grinding wheel with much force. The edge will be melted in the welding process.

FWIW
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 75.211.2.73

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   

Marc...great to "see" you back....don't be a stranger!!!!!!

RCB
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1549
Posted From: 76.71.103.235

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   

yeah, what he said.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Registered Member

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 12:23 am:   

Thanks, RCB and Buswarrior

While I haven't posted, I have "dropped in" from time to time. Those who've attended Bussin and Busn'USA events the past few years should (I hope!) recall RJ Long's and my collaboration in presenting seminars.

I should be back in Rickreal this summer and this time with something that will actually measure an engine's propensity for overheating.

Anybody want to volunteer for a demo? It's nothing that would hurt, just a standard method of measurement.

Onward and Upward
Grant Thiessen (Busshawg)
Registered Member
Username: Busshawg

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 206.45.93.160

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 10:07 am:   

Thank Marc

That was pretty much what I was doing, deburring the edges. That's why I took the short cut, it only takes a minute to do and that dam vise grip was under the bus. Did feel like crawling under it just to retrieve them.

Thanks for thh proper name, air beam chambers. Just wondering why they call them that as they do not hold any air? The one on the passenger side was weak. I did as BW said a shop would do and took a hammer and started smashing them to find weak spots. Well the drivers side seems good but the passenge side is quite bad. Therefore rather than replacing it ( at it looks like a hige job) I decided to plate it. After getting the bottom sides done I noticed the upper verticle portion seems weak too. Right under the plate the air bag actually sits on. Going to be quite a challenge to get a plate in there. Is this procedure common. I was told by my local shop that it is. I am surprised with a weak beam that it even hold the bus up.
Registered Member

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   

A weak point are the fiberglas caps in the wheel wells. They get punctured and fine silt-water spray off the wheels enters and comes to rest on the top of the beams. It piles up, acts as a sponge and promotes rust long after the rain stops.

They're called a beam because of shape/structure, but they act as a reservoir for the airbags so the pressure doesn't ramp up as much on compression when the wheel hits a bump. I've posted in the past on the degree of pressure increase of "Plated" (blocked off) versus std or repaired beams. Fixing the beams is good for the ride quality.

I think I acquired my press brake since my last post a few yrs back. I can now fabricate a new beam from flat stock and the repair isn't the daunting task it once was.

MB
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1277
Posted From: 65.74.69.200

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   

Good to see you posting again, Marc.

I was looking forward to connecting with you on one of our runs through CA. Maybe we'll get another chance.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration