TIre Pressure Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » TIre Pressure « Previous Next »

Peter River (Whitebus)
Registered Member
Username: Whitebus

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 208.54.94.23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   

I am generally confused about tires.

I have michelin xze 22.5 tires. I have read that the maximum pressure is 90 psi cold. However, the maintanance yard that I got it from had them at 105psi, and the little documentation that I have suggests 100 psi.

is it not dangerous to exceed the maximum pressure printed on the tires?
Jaime Martinez (Jaime)
Registered Member
Username: Jaime

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.225.216.226

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   

The videos on this page from Michelin help me out Michelin
Mark Renner (Boomer)
Registered Member
Username: Boomer

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 206.58.200.38

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   

Your first task should be to weigh each axle, with the bus fully loaded and road ready as you intend to use it. Find a truck stop or other reputable scale to weigh at. Then find your tire manufacturer's web site, find the specs for the tire you use, and follow the recommended pressures. Don't take so called "expert" advice from others. Follow the manufacturer guidelines on pressures and speed limitations.
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1565
Posted From: 76.71.100.218

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   

Ditto. Mark has it covered.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 71.239.202.82

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 9:44 am:   

Agreed on the pressure issue.

IMHO Michelin is not only just the most expensive tires you can find but the quality is not just comparable to other lesser priced brand, it is not as good in many instances of others costing barley 1/2.

The sidewalls will begin to crack sooner and greater in comparison to others as well. I have done many first had side by side comparisons over the years.

No offence to the many who run them I am not perfect either.

I have been a trucker my whole life and you can take my comments with a grain of salt.
Tony LEE (T_lee)
Registered Member
Username: T_lee

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 83.194.40.177

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   

The truck tyre shop fitters have one fixed pressure burnt into their brains - about 100psi. While this might fit most truck loadings, the bus generally has a lower load on each tyre so the recommended pressure may be lower too. Fronts may be down below 85, tags even lower.

Of course there are other considerations such as ride comfort and fuel consumption that are mutually exclusive and of course safety, handling and tyre wear are major consideration. As suggested, weigh the bus with normal loads and choose the appropriate pressures from the manufacturers recommendations. Normal practice (provided the loads on each end of an axle are not too unbalanced) is to inflate all tyres on the axle according to that required by the heaviest side, but no doubt opinions will vary on that advice.
Peter River (Whitebus)
Registered Member

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 208.54.94.87

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   

I will do that.

I never used one of those weigh stations. Do I just drive into the bay and go in to pay and get the weight?
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   

Peter
Find a scale that has a flat surface about 6 feet wide next to the actual scale. You will need that so you can drive only 1/2 of the bus onto the scale to get the side to side weight. A lot of truck stops have scales that will let you do what you need as long as they aren't busy. You will notice the scale is in sections so you can get individual wheel weights if you postion the bus right with 1/2 of it on solid ground beside the scale. Hope you can understand this.
Bill
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 70.212.253.115

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   

OR.....ask your DOT inspection station to do it for you...they will...and for FREE, with suggestions...(my experience)...:-)

FWIW
RCB
Peter River (Whitebus)
Registered Member

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 208.54.14.98

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   

wouldn't they proceed to also give you tickets for everything they find wrong?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration