Fuel advice to newbies, especially wi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Fuel advice to newbies, especially with auxiliary tanks! « Previous Next »

Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 216.163.56.194

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   

I have never seen a post on this subject, but it is something every bus owner (especially newbies with older busses) should be prepared for! My MCI 7 has an aux fuel tank. Not long after I topped of my tanks for the first time, I developed a leak! My tank had corroded in several places in the bottom! So - now I'm leaking fuel, and I need to put 179 gallons of fuel somewhere! I burned up the phones looking for CLEAN 55 gal. drums that were used for something compatable with diesel. I found some, and didn't complain about paying a little for them either. Then I got busy with an el-cheapo electric fuel pump. That was memorial day of 08. Well, just under a year later, one of the hoses that connects my aux tank to the fuel lines that then attach to the main tank sprung a leak! Of COUSE I had just topped off the tank! Thank goodness I kept those barrels!

A note on keeping empty barrels - keep them upside down to keep water from standing on the lid and perhaps getting into the barrel. Occasionally drain them - like an air compressor they will build up condensation. You don't want to mix that with your fuel! Don't ask me how I know! That story is also called "how I learned all there is to know about fuel filters".
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 873
Posted From: 208.54.200.70

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   

Glenn,

If you really need to keep a big supply of diesel why not keep it in the barrels instead of the bus?
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 12:55 am:   

why I gladly have a bus load of barrels of fuel & I'd know just what to do with them.
... Not as sure how well this modern diesel keeps, you know technology these days, great effort to make most things last less.
Ralph Peters (Ralph7)
Registered Member
Username: Ralph7

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 66.59.120.99

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 9:10 am:   

Now I know I will not sell my 3 truck fuel tanks each hold 120 gallons plus. One will fit in the bay and it holds 122, so 3oo total gallons, now that's big $$$$$.
Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 216.163.56.194

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 9:11 am:   

Gus,
My head is a little fuzzy this morning and maybe I didn't write the first post as well as I should, but I meant that the purpose for having the barrels is not to store fuel long term, but to have a place to put fuel if you need to do a fuel tank/system repair. On the other hand, whend diesel was 1.87 this spring, I kinda wish I had filled the bus AND the barrels! :-)

Glenn
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 75.211.137.82

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   

"Now I know I will not sell my 3 truck fuel tanks each hold 120 gallons plus. One will fit in the bay and it holds 122, so 3oo total gallons, now that's big $$$$$."

Also at the pump..........:-)

RCB
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1280
Posted From: 65.74.69.200

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   

Leaning barrels so that water drains off before reaching either bung keeps rainwater out, too.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   

...was really hoping to inspire some fact sharing on modern diesel such as "ultra-low sulphur" & the perishability factor "chemical stability wise" and maybe even how it pertains to both MUI and electronic inject engines.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration