Generator Quietbox Exhaust Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » July 2009 » Generator Quietbox Exhaust « Previous Next »

Rob King (Skykingrob)
Registered Member
Username: Skykingrob

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 72.161.30.138

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   

Hi All
I am working on the generator quietbox and wondering how you had the exhaust exit the quietbox. I have read the archives and found one post that suggested running the exhaust down the center of a short section of double wall stove pipe. I could see how this would work for the exhaust but am not sure how it could keep from releasing all kinds of sound out of the quietbox negating the reason for the box in the first place.
I am mouting the generator parallel with the length of the bus without a slideout. This brings up the second question. How did you make the connection of the generator exhaust inside the quietbox to the tailpipe outside the box. The archives talk about flexible exhaust conduit but no real specific ideas that I can wrap my head around.
Since I am having trouble visualizing this concept, pics would be nice if anyone has them.

Thanks

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri
Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 71.111.185.149

Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 1:00 am:   

Rob
The exaust on ours comes out the bottom vent hole.A good share of the bottom of the quiet box is open for serviceing, incomeing air and outgoing air. The pipe exits to driver side and connects with pipe slidding inside of pipe,by expanding. Then a portable pipe going up if and when necessary. Sorry no pictures as computer crashed and working on fifteen year old laptop.
Larry
Ed Roelle (Ed_roelle)
Registered Member
Username: Ed_roelle

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 98.250.25.28

Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   

You can stuff fiberglass insulation around your exhaust pipe as it exits compartment.

Ed Roelle
Roger Baughman (Roger)
Registered Member
Username: Roger

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 69.232.69.70

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:18 am:   

Rob, I reworked the quite box around my generator with special sound insulation and lots of extra sound deading material and there still was a lot of noise. It just didn't seem to help much. Then I noticed that a lot of noise was coming out of the air intake filter. So I tryed installing a muffler on the air intake and it made a lot of difference in the noice level. I put a new KN air filter in the muffler intake also. I then installed a vacume guage on the tube between the muffler and the engine and saw a little vacume with the muffler attached when there was no vacume without the muffler hooked up. Then I installed a small blower moter and fan from a auto heater syatem. I have not had a chance to check out the difference with the fan yet. Too many other things to do right now. I hope this helps, Roger
Darrell Black, DVM (Darrelldvm)
Registered Member
Username: Darrelldvm

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 209.78.171.84

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:18 am:   

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND THE "QUIET MUFFLER" THAT IS INSTALLED INSIDE THE BOX. ONAN 8K.
Roger Baughman (Roger)
Registered Member
Username: Roger

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 69.232.69.70

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:23 am:   

I found there was a lot more noise coming out of the air intake than the exhust muffler. Roger

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration