...including the kitchen sink Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » July 2009 » ...including the kitchen sink « Previous Next »

Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 24.129.232.232

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   

remapping the galley set-up , have a choice of regular sized double sink or mini-RV sized double sink and can not decide on the trade of of space to practical use when doing the dishes.
My water saving mode of dish washing consist of:
1. rinse the dishes off right after eating, good dogs , thanks for the help
2. a small bowl of soapy water and a scrub pad on the dishes, one at a time, in the empty first wash basin, until full of scrubbed dishes
3. rinse the scrubbed dishes , one a time over the scrub basin, the run off pre-rinses the remainder (as I go)
4. place the clean wet dishes in the 2nd basin, to drip/air dry .
so with this method, it seems the logical choice would be a full sized double basin sink.
your methods of water conservation & preference please ladies & germs ???
Peter E (Sdibaja)
Registered Member
Username: Sdibaja

Post Number: 305
Posted From: 201.143.188.217

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   

2.5 fill scrub basin part way with clear water (a pre rinse saves time running the rinse water)
---
4.1 move drying rack from counter to over the rise basin to free counter space

I am a desert dweller and do this at home...
john degemis (Degemis)
Registered Member
Username: Degemis

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 68.113.38.56

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   

I went with a nice deep single that takes up less space and can handle a large pot. I am happy with it. Dish drainer fits inside and I have more counter space.
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1570
Posted From: 71.58.110.9

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   

My wife prefers a single sink unit that is slightly smaller than a house one. She/me is cooking for two and would prefer the extra counter space instead.
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 565
Posted From: 71.53.155.14

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   

don't even think about putting in a sink. Use paper plates,plastic utensils,paper towels and throw away when done,even if the window gets opened by mistake and then you won't have to clean anything. Problem solved!!. Then you can use all the counter space for playing games, working puzzles,etc. Ain't I smart?? LOL

Gomer
David Evans (Dmd)
Registered Member
Username: Dmd

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 173.77.231.123

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   

I like a double sink also,and Clint your method is my method pretty much. Did a 10 day trip offshore in may and all 4 of us did the dishes a different way!(boat had a double sink)Pete your boat post/link was great. And 2 guys used your dish method. On our bus there is a single sink but i have a plastic tan basin that fits right in and i use it as the second sink.When traveling it keeps the rattling down as everything loose gets put in the sink.
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 891
Posted From: 76.195.234.106

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 7:23 am:   

We couldn't find a good single sized sink that would work.

I purchased a used double (frequently different sized bowls than singles) and simply chopped it in half.
Older SS sinks can be found that are far thicker than much of the modern paper thin SS, so do better if pots are left in it on the road.

A single sink works well for us as we have humongus counter space. The dishes are taken from the counter , washed and there is room for a drying rack behind the now single sink.

A 120V garbage disposal is fitted to the sink and is great for lots of things that get smelly by morning like shrimp skins.

A knee switch allows the unit to operate , only as required , and leaves 2 hands to do cleanup chores.

We use the faucet for rinsing , but leave the plug in the disposal, so when finished there is a gallon shot of rinse water to clear the disposal, and lines past the P trap.No smells.

My Way,

FF

(Message edited by FAST FRED on July 26, 2009)
Jim Wallin (Powderseeker01)
Registered Member
Username: Powderseeker01

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 173.14.23.49

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   

We installed a full size Kohler sink and love it. We are fulltiming and find it works great. If you really need the space, place a board over it when not in use and hang it on the side of the cabinet to use the sink.
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1662
Posted From: 76.68.122.251

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   

Double sink, full sized, corner style, and dishpan size of your choice to shrink down the size for water conservation.

Big sinks are handy when you need them, and serve as recessed counter space when not.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 64.40.216.6

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 6:42 am:   

When we built our kitchen, we thought we would go with a single, ended up with a double SS sink, house size. We're glad we did, it works for us anyway. If we were weekenders we would have installed a single, but as full timers we opted for the larger size. Yes it does take up more counter space, but I'm going to make a cover for one side to increase our useable counter space.

Paul

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration