1979 RTS II won't start Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » 1979 RTS II won't start « Previous Next »

Gerard Hasenstab (216.23.5.150)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   

Our agency has had a 1979 RTS II that we use as a mobile soup kitchen for 6 years and I have seen just about every starting problem I thought there was but I am stumped with this one.

I turn the control knob to run, I can hear the relays click and the air pressure alarm comes on, the shfter is in nuetral. I push the engine start switch and get nothing. It acts as is the shifter is in gear. Have checked the neutral safety switch at the transmission and it is functioning properly. When the contol knob is turned to run fuel soleniod(?)is not moving. It does not move when I try to start it from the rear start switches either. Any suggestons.
We are going to retire the RTS as soon as we finish re-habbing a 1994 school bus. I will greatly miss the ride and space of the RTS but it has gotten too expenseive to maintain. We need it to run for a couple of more weeks until the other bus is finished, but we are not going to put a lot of money into repairs
Joel Lanstra (Joel) (209.204.150.69)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   

Is this bus an electric starter or an air starter?
gerry hasenstab (216.23.5.150)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   

the bus is an electric start
Joel Lanstra (Joel) (209.204.150.143)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   

Gerry,
If you have a Volt Ohm Meter check to see if the batteries are both charged. Then see if you are getting power to the starter. If not determine if it is 12 or 24 volt starter. working your way backwards through the battery box and the electrial box looking to see that you have power. I not sure if RTS's have a electrical box which is accessed from the outside, if it does check the relay cubes. Don't mix them up. You can switch out cubes with others with the same numbers in other circuits to see if you get a response.

Double check you strarter to see that is electric. If it is an air start it will exhibit the same response if it is out of air. Air starters are about the same size, however they have a large hose leading to them. If it is air start there is probably a air hose quick disconnect locate close to the vary large air tank under the bus. Charge it with air.

Joel
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.44)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 2:05 pm:   

Every once in a while the stop plunger on the governor will stick in the OFF position. (I think this is what you mean by "fuel solenoid") Try pushing the stop plunger in while you have the rear control switch on rear start and see what happens.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.77)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:13 pm:   

Gerry, if I were troubleshooting that symptom, I would try to skip several steps by just clipping a voltmeter to the solenoid terminals right on the starter. If you get power when you hit the start button, and it doesn't crank, you need to repair the starter.

If you don't have air up when you turn the main control to run, I wouldn't expect to see any movement in the fuel solenoid. With no air, the fuel solenoid should be in the run postion.

If the test I mentioned above says the starter needs work, often you can take a heavy lead and briefly flash the two big terminals on the solenoid to make the starter spin without cranking the engine. If it spins, there is a good chance it might start the next time you hit the starter button.

If it starts, your starter still needs work and should not be depended on. Also, the spark from flashing the big terminals will likely throw some metal. Shielding your eyes is a must.

I am basing what I have said above on what I know of starters in general and what I know of how our 4106 works. I would expect the RTS is much the same.

Good luck!

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Gary Carter (68.24.107.252)

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   

Pull the end cap off and activate the solinoid with a broom handle.
Gerard Hasenstab (216.23.5.150)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   

Thank you all for your suggestions. Tom Caffrey
hit on the head. Afriend came out and check the starter that was it. thank you all again.
eagle 5 (66.90.217.110)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:08 am:   

HIT THE STARTER WITH A HAMMER.......LIGHTLY.......WHILE SOMEBODY TRYS TO START IT

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration