Wabasto - What is it? What does it do? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Wabasto - What is it? What does it do? « Previous Next »

mark pool (66.43.13.86)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 5:27 pm:   

Hello, folks!

What does this thing do? I think that it is designed to pre-heat the engine in cold climates?

I just bought the bus to convert. (newbie)! Please help me to decide whether to keep it or not.

All I know about it is that it is a Wabasto. Says so right on the outside of it. Its a black box that measures 11 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 26 long. It is located in one of the bays. Cant see any model number on any of the sides that are visible.

I beleive that its designed to heat up the coolant for cold weather start-ups. But what I would like to know is whether it can be used when parked to enable the coach heaters? Is the heated coolant going to be warm enough to produce heat for the coach?

I have seen some recent posts about the airtop 2000. Could this be what I have?

If my wabasto unit is designed only for cold climate start-ups, it will probably just get removed. But if it can heat the coach, it stays!

The man that sold me the bus didnt know anything about it either, and didnt even know if it is working.

Any information would be very useful and much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark (newbie)
(No longer "busnutwannabe")

Gillig 636D
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.121.85)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   

You lucky dog-- you have a Scholastic Series 45,000 BTU Webasto diesel fired coolant heater. It not only pre-heats the engine but also keeps the inside of the bus warm through the bus interior heating system. I bought one just like it for my bus...

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Scott Whitney (66.82.9.32)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 9:08 pm:   

Keep it, keep it! Or, err, never mind. It is junk - give it away to someone like me. Just kidding. . . .

A Webasto is a big bonus in a bus. Check out this link for all the things you can connect to it once you have the diesel-fired heater:

http://www.hydro-hot.com/aqua_hot.html

You can put in a complete hydronic heating system, domestic hot water, engine preheat etc. .

My "next" bus will have one of these systems.

Scott
mark pool (66.43.13.70)

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   

Thanks alot, guys!

Its definately staying intact! And thanks for the link to their website. I'll print a manual for myself.

Thanks again

Mark
joe shelton (Littlewind) (64.91.160.142)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:00 am:   

I have a Webasto 2020 in my 4106. The 2010 is 40,000 btu, the 2020 80,000 btu, the 300 is 104,000 btu, the 350 is 120,000 btu. One way to tell which you have is to look at the water in & out ports on the exchanger. Have to take the enclosure lid off. The ports on the 2010 are on the same side; ports on opposite side of the 2020/300. It is not likely that you have a 300 or 350.

If you have any trouble with the unit I have done a good bit of work on mine.

Joe
4106-2119
littlewind03@earthlink.net

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration