4905 air loss troubleshooting help ne... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » 4905 air loss troubleshooting help needed « Previous Next »

Peter E (Sdibaja) (67.115.11.122)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   

air loss in the air bags on my 4905, I need some help troubleshooting it.
Compressor pumps up fine, brake leakdown is acceptable.

When I park I loose air to the right rear air bags. This takes a minimum of 4 hours, sometimes as long as a week. I do not loose air to any other corner, even when it has sat for 6 weeks. Full stock air lever system is in place. It always pumps up level in a minute or two after I have full operating pressure…. Cuts out at 120, cuts in at 90 PSI.

I have done nothing to check it out yet, just looking for advice on where to start.

Thanks in advance for any tips. Peter E
FAST FRED (67.75.113.90)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   

"The Usual Suspect" would be the leveling valve.

Certainly the first place to look, if you cant just here the air leaking.

About $35.00 or so,

FAST FRED
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.154)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:21 pm:   

Peter, if you get one of those plastic bottles with a pistol grip sprayer on the top and fill it with water and a small amount of detergent, you can spray the outside of your airbags, lines and valves.

If your airbags are starting to seep, it can show up as a very fine foam on the surface of the bags a while after they have been sprayed. This happens when the rubber is becoming checked with almost invisible cracks, and the air is weeping through the fabric.

Make sure that the coach can't fall on you before you get underneath it. A pit is the easiest and safest way to inspect it.

There is one other thing that won't show up by spraying. If the air guage pressure falls far enough and there is a bad supply check valve in the leveling valve, air can bleed from the airbags back into the rest of the system. If you change the whole leveling valve, you get the replacement check valve, as well.

Good luck!

Tom Caffrey pd4106-2576
Suncatcher
Jayjay (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:21 am:   

I found the culprit to be (in part) the flare nuts on the coppper air lines. They relax due to heating cooling cycles over the years. Crawl under with a couple of end wrenches and snug (not overtighten) them up. Then use the soap solution. Re adjusting the leveling valve just a bit may help too, since it operates in a narrow range, the wear is all in one spot. But as FF says, about $35.00 for a new one...but better do both or you'll have the same problem with the left side soon. I changed mine over a 4 valve manual system, and used the leveling valves for ballast in the trash can. Cheers...JJ
eagle 5 (66.90.211.7)

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 8:45 pm:   

I HAD A TINY LEAK IN THE AIR BAG ITSELF.....GUESS WHAT...TAKE THE HOSE OFF,THAT GOES TO THE BAG,PUT IN 2 OZ. OF TIRE STOP LEAK...THE GREEN KIND..NEVER LEAKED AGAIN....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration