Found tranny for bus but the engine??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Found tranny for bus but the engine??? « Previous Next »

David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.53)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 9:00 am:   

Things are getting so bad over at MAK that I'm afraid to post this over there so this is the only place that I'm posting this. This may seem like a stupid question but here goes....David located a tranny (RT910) for our Eagle 05. It is sitting in a truck (moved in under own power) that is just sitting on his cousin's place. David is thinking of buying the whole truck & stripping it for what he wants (like the electric wipers). The wheels are split rims & he doesn't want them. This truck has a diesel engine. I think David said it was an International (?). Would this be an engine for the bus (overhaul & store) or do we sell it? At some point we will want to pull our engine and have it gone over but right now it is fine. Thought this would make a good backup or replacement motor.

Lorna
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (204.193.117.66)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 9:38 am:   

Lorna,
What size International truck?. If it is a class 8 tractor "semi truck", it was probably designed to carry 80,000 #. It is is a dump truck, probabaly much less. Hope this helps, Jack
Terrance A.Haag (Mrbus) (205.188.208.39)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

Lorna,

The 910 is the perfect "roadranger" for your Eagle. If the IH is a cabover, then salvage the gear shift tower and rods along with the shift tower on top of the transmission. You will need this typ of shift lever to convert from you four speed linkage. As far as the engine, no way to answer that with out knowing just what it is.

Gus Haag
John Feld (150.199.209.2)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   

Other than 'gas', International did not build a diesel engine. it maybe a Detroit, Cumminns, even Mack. Detroit is made to be able to run in reverse, the color of the engine may give you a clue of mfg. The 910 is a 10 speed Roadranger, a good solid tranny. If the tranny will 'fit' is the question, I do not know about the Eagle set-up.

John 4104
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.37.175)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   

John,

I beg to differ, International designed and built the Ford Powerstroke. If you go to their website you will see 6 current motors offered. The VT-365, T-444E, DT-466, DT-466 High Torque, DT-530 & HT-530 (340hp/1220 torque & 650 lbs less than a 10-11 liter motor). But who knows what is in the truck Lorna is looking at.

I doubt there is much sellable stuff on it if it is old enough to be running split rims, I would buy all I wanted from the unit and leave the yard with the scrap metal. It may be too costly to dispose of the remains.

I would only keep a spare or back-up motor if it was exactly the same otherwise you will have the adapt everything to make the change.

From what I have heard, most modern stick-shift trannys will interchange. They tend to use a standard bellhousing too. May need an adaptor plate to connect to an older engine. Gus makes a very valid point about the linkage and shifter parts.

Peter.
John Feld (150.199.209.2)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 1:45 pm:   

Peter, your right, I discounted the Powerstroke as that is a Ford of recent design. The splt rims would indicate tube type tires of older vintage, but then I would question if a newer truck would be parked from service unless damaged.

Your suggestion of a spare is a good one, but then my wife is always saying 'why don't you get rid of some of that junk'!
John 4104
Bill K. (209.173.120.178)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 6:48 pm:   

Jack: What makes you think if it where a dump truck it would be lighter, My dump is lic. for
73280. and I could go up to 80,000.
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.164.175.146)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 6:51 pm:   

Dear D & L...

Do hate to perhaps rain on your parade, but this may be important. Getting back to your question, yeah, there is no real way of determining what kind of diesel mill the old International tractor may have.

What will need to be done is to go out to the old girl (the old highway tractor) and see what she has under her hood. Lift her bonnet and take a good look. Could have near anything.

International used all sorts of different manufacture diesels in their older trucks. You could have nearly anything up to around 300 hp. The RT-910 is good to at least 950 pounds of torque and 70,000 pounds vehicle weight.

But....having said that, are you sure a direct gear 10-speed will work in your Eagle? Will the road gearing be high enough for your comfort and or needs? Will you be able to blast down the Interstates?

The RT-910 is a direct high gear tranny. 1.00 to 1.00. No overdrive. Fuller years ago actually made two (three?) different models of the RT-910....The RT which you have and the RTO 910 Roadranger with a 22% overdrive 10th gear.

I have the RTO-910 in my Crown 10-wheeler ex-schoolie. Fastastic tranny. The coach will go at least 80 mph. Still start in 2nd gear. My concern is that a direct drive Roadranger in your Eagle...

...will not give you enough road speed. And...if you want to go maybe 100 mph, Fuller also made a rare RTOO-910 that had two overdrives--- a .79 9th and a .66 10th gear. I understand also that...

...a very knowledgeable tranny mechanic can convert a 910 transmission into an overdrive (double overdrive?) configeration using factory conversion parts during an overhaul.

If you buy the entire older tractor for a $song$ then it may be cost effective to do so and strip out everything you may need for your Eagle, including the transmission....IF a direct high gear box will let your Eagle cruise at a cool 80 mph.

And....never start a paragraph with a con... no...wait. Oh yeah, do not feel stupid asking very good questions on this board. We all need to hand together or we will all hang separately!! He he he. :) :) Henry of CJ
Jayjay (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 2:21 am:   

FoMoCo designed the Powerstroke and had Int'l build it to their specs. As of about 4 months ago FoMoCo has taken over production at a new facility, and Int'l is no longer associated with Ford. (source: AutoWeekly Newspaper)...JJ
FAST FRED (67.75.113.102)

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 7:07 am:   

However Intl is building the DD Sreies 40
(their old DT 466 & a great enngine)
now poked to 530 size.

With green paint the price is doubble the INTL 466 price, natch.

FAST FRED
Johnny (63.159.208.20)

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 10:35 pm:   

International diesels, off the top of my head:

DT408
DT466/466E
DT/HT530
T444E/PowerStroke
T444/7.3 IDI
6.9 IDI
Plenty more.

Peter: Split 20" rims & tubes were used until surprisingly recently--I saw a 1989 L7000 with 10.00R20's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration