MC9 ceiling skin-Structural? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » MC9 ceiling skin-Structural? « Previous Next »

William Guire (Will) (216.82.156.149)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 3:10 pm:   

How much strength does the original aluminum ceiling skin add to the structural integrity, if any? I understand the sidewall skins are structural, and they look it with all the rivets. But the ceiling panals don't seem to be attached all that well. Is it OK to remove it, insulate and attach non structural wood (T&G) instead? I was going to leave it, but it would be handy to run wiring up there and would help to upgrade the insulation. I am not raising the roof.

Thanks
Will
83 TMC-MC9
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (204.193.117.66)

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 4:38 pm:   

Will,
As far as I know, the inside ceiling skin is not structural. If you look close you will see that very few of the screws that hold the "retainer strips" actually go through these panels, most are between them. I know of many buses that had these panels removed, bus insulated (sheet foam or spray foam) and then covered with plywood (everything including 2 layers of 1/8" luan, benderboard, masonite,1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" plywood). What thickness T&G are planning to use? We used 5/16" thickX3 1/2" wdireX8" long pieces of white pine. You can see some photos of our bus at http;//members2.clubphoto.com/jack217421 Just click on the Orange Blossom Special II albums. We installed 1/4" luan first, then glued T&G to the luan- no nail holes showing. No engineering degree, just based on my opinion and other buses I have seen. Hope this helps, Jack
William Guire (Will) (216.82.156.165)

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   

Thanks Jack,
I was pretty sure it was OK to remove the skin, as you say, there are only a few small screws holding retainers on. I was thinking of using 1x6 cedar t&g. It has been reasonably priced in our area. I've looked at your conversion photos, and you have done an excellent job. I am on a pretty tight budget, so I will not be able to do as much, at least not for now.

Will
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (204.193.117.66)

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 7:14 pm:   

I would have used cedar if the price was reasonable in FL. Here is a tip to make that ceiling look better. Before installing the 1x6 T&G boards, get a 45 degree chamfer bit and a router. Adjust the router depth to match the bevel on the edges of the boards. Then bevel the ends of the boards so they match the edges(sides). Once installed, the ends have a vee groove that matches the sides. We did this on the 1x6 yellow pine T&G we used in the great room of our house. Also try to have the ends of the boards meet on a framing member.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration