Fuel stops Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Fuel stops « Previous Next »

two dogs (66.90.211.74)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 10:23 pm:   

yeah,,,,lets talk about that...whats the best fuel stop....my all time favorite is the "Tripple T" ...in Az, mile marker 268 on I-10...pull in there,while you are getting fuel..they wash all lights and reflectors, if you are inside and look out and the hood is still open,,,it means you need oil,if he closes the hood means everything o.k. ALSO, free crushed ice.
Nick Russell (66.82.9.47)

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

We are fulltimers and use Flying J all over the country. We have their RV Club card and get an extra penny a gallon off fuel, they have propane & a dump station and dedicated RV islands. We've also spent the night in several of them. Their website www.flyingj.com is updated every morning with their fuel prices nationwide. Helps a bit in trip planning.
jmaxwell (66.42.92.5)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 1:06 am:   

I too frequent Flyin J coast to coast. I avoid the RV islands usually because some old timer always has 10 things to do with his 5th wheel and Dodge p/u and he can't do more than one thing at a time and Grandma ain't going to get out of that A/C cab to wash the windshield.
FAST FRED (67.75.111.22)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 5:20 am:   

The big hassle with the RV sise is they have a fuel hose with auto sized delivery nozzle.

It takes 2X as long to take on 100+ gal , so learn how to use the truck side .

Turn on the main pump & put nozzle down & walk to pax side of the bus and there will be a slave nozzle . (This is so trucks can fill tanks on both sides at once).

Simply fill with the slave , hang up both , and pull your rig far enough foward so the next guy can start fueling , as you go in to pay.

At a big place , pay the $6.00 and get you coach weighed at least once , when your in travel mode and at max weight.May be interesting.

FAST FRED
DrivingMissLazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 6:32 am:   

I always fill up at Flying J or other truck stops and always use the truck side with the high flow nozzles and the slave pump on the passenger side.

I also always park in with the big trucks so that I can pull thru with the toad.

Have travelled cross country many times and have never had anyone question what a bus is doing in with the big rigs.

Richard
John Rigby (24.174.235.164)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 8:45 am:   

I to travel a lot and even if an unknown truck stop is showing lower prices I alays stick with the flying J,Loves, Pilot, Williams etc. I figure I stand a better chance of getting trouble free fuel if I use the nationals.
John
James Robinson (Jjrbus) (68.27.37.239)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 9:09 am:   

I like Flying J, if they can cater to RV's I can give them my buisness, I watch when I pull in, if nobody at RV island, I go there. Now these idiot's with there diesel dually's that insist on useing RV island, Somebody mentioned mounting machine gun's on bus, I better not.
Jeff (Jeff) (68.10.0.78)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 6:49 pm:   

Is the price for Diesel at the RV Island the same price as the 'Trucker's island? I learned the hard way how to use the slave pump. Fred, why did you wait till now to tell me what I needed to know then??? Just kidding! Good Sams gives a $0.01 discount at Love's Truckstops but you HAVE TO use the RV pumps and go inside to pay.

Jeff
"Take Another Road" <-- Jimmy Buffett
Rustless not Busless in Buckroe
1988 TMC RTS-06
da Bubba
jmaxwell (66.42.92.15)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 3:06 am:   

Additional benefit at Flyin J w/ the RV card is that u can turn the pump on with the card reader; only have to stand in that fuel line once! Price is the same, RV island or truck island. One of the 1st things I did w/my latest conversion that I'm doing was add a fuel filler on the left side; the tank was set up for it but just covered with a plate. Tank even had spare taps for aux. fuel lines in and out which worked great for the genset. Now I won't have to try and remember to hang up both pumps before I go in to pay (Yeah, I've had to walk back out and shut off the main pump a few times)
Don KS/TX (65.150.144.191)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 5:44 pm:   

The fuel quality is important, you can usually trust the name brands. I found out the hard way that if you ever get a tank full of water and diesel worms, you will never try to save a buck again EVER!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration