Awning for 4104 input needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Awning for 4104 input needed « Previous Next »

Melvin Tucker (207.144.133.191)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   

I posted this on the GMC board but some of you dont go there.
I am about to put the ceramic roof coating on my bus and then thinking about installing an awning.
I need some input from you who have installed one on a 4104 or 06.

How far about the top molding did you install the rail and how did you attach it? rivets or screws?

Where and how did you attach the top of the main arms? Will lags just thru the alum handle the weight and stress.

Do I need the bent arms or will straight work.

What is the best length. Some one had told me to stay away from anything over 18 ft.

Any reccomendatiions?

I think thats about it.

E-mail me if you wish

tuckerman@nu-z.net

Thanks
Tuck
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (204.193.117.66)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 6:22 pm:   

Tuck,
I will try to answer your questions based on my experiences. I installad a used 22' ZipDee awning with curved arms on our MC-8. I contacted ZipDee and they sent me an installation manual. All dimensions were in the manual. The awning rail was installed about 11" above the drip rail moulding. I used stainless steel screws with a layer of butyl rubber tape between the awning rail and roof. My reason for screws vs. rivets was that if the mandrel dislodges in a rivet it will leak. The rear arm lower bracket was on a framing member. The front arm lower bracket was in the center of a panel. We added a piece of 2x10 in the wall for added support. This is backed on the inside by the 1/2" plywood on the interior walls. You can a couple of photos of our awning at http://members2.clubphoto.com/jack217421 Just click on the Orange Blossom Special II albums
I helped a friend install an 20' A&E awning with straight arms on a 4905. We attached the awning rail to the drip rail moulding. We then shortened the arms 3" and attached the lower brackets immediately above the baggage doors. Most of the people I know that have awnings that are between 20'-22'. I am not aware of any problems other than the obvious, high winds and heavy rains.when planning the awning location, make sure the arms will not interfere with the baggage doors when the awning is open. Hope this helps, Jack
PS: A friend painted his bus roof with the ceramic paint. His bus is all finished inside, but you cal still tell exactly where the ceramic paint ends when you touch the ceiling on a sunny day.
Dale MC8 (66.81.141.22)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 7:10 pm:   

Tuck, an extra/center support arm would not be a bad idea, nor would a support for the rolled up awning. Both help avoid bowing in the middle. One while parked, the other while on the road.

my 2 cents worth

Dale
Jim Stacy (12.87.109.61)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 7:24 pm:   

Hi Tuck,

We had mounted wheel flares on our old '04 and they were in the area for Zip Dee's planned bottom mounts. I took it to the Zip Dee factory (just North of O'Hare) and they figured out what was needed in the way of hardware. If your wheel wells will not have flares, Zip Dee has a hardware set specifically for the '04.

If you decide to visit the factory (great folks) you make an appointment for the early afternoon so they can view the problem. They plugged me in overnight in their parking lot and installed the prepared parts in the morning. Someone said they are using a local third party to install now but the process is the same.

Our only problem was the forward support had to go forward of the front wheel opening due to the flares. this crowds the exit door since the door doesn't open a full 90 degrees. It's easy to run into the arm if the awning is deployed and you come out of the door in a hurry. I usually hang windsocks on the arms for safety. Zip Dee is easy to talk to. Good engineers who only work on awnings.

TRIVIA: the founder of Zip Dee named the company to go with his last name "Dodaw" (not sure of the spelling, but this is true!)

Jim Stacy
Don KS/TX (65.141.166.20)

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:26 am:   

Interesting Jim, I did NOT know that trivia, had wondered about the name. We did not put an awning on our bus (just a window awning over each window). We previously had several Class A motor homes with awnings and found them to be a royal pain, and never used. Depending on your lifestyle, NO awning can be an option as well.
Gary Carter (68.24.100.145)

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

We had both main and window awnings on our 4106. The window awnings were Care-Free and mounted to the bottome of the crip rail (worked great). The main awning was a Carter. Unfortunatly they are out of business. For the main awning you need either a 18' or 21' as the only place to attach the bottom of the arms is the wheel wells. Ours went From the front of both the wheel wells or 21' (i believe). The top rail was mounted about 3" above the drip rail. Installed with rivits and a good silicone adhisive such as goop. Due to the design of the Carter, curved arms were not needed. Tuck, you have my email address, so if you have not purchased yet, I have a great source for you.
Roger PD4104-174 (64.12.96.235)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 4:52 am:   

Tuck, I sent you an e-mail with a photo of the awning on my 04. The arms are bolted through the wheel well trim a little below floor level. At the top, bolts and fender washers were used. If you need more details let me know.

Roger PD4104-174

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration