A new twist for Bus A/C Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » A new twist for Bus A/C « Previous Next »

ChuckMC8 (68.158.17.124)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:59 am:   

I surfed across the Walker Coach web site and observed this neat A/C setup. 3 window units?
Check out the rest of their site also. Lots of ideas that I hadnt seen elsewhere, including removing MCI radiators and installing 1 large radiator beside the engine.
http://www.walkercoach.com/Walker_AC%20System.htm
Arthur (24.34.91.107)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 9:43 am:   

Thats a lot of work and cost when there is a much more effective solution. I am in the process of putting 3 mini split airs in my Neoplan. That will give me a total of 36,000 BTUs of cooling and 33,000 BTUs of heating. The total cost is under $1,500 for all three units. They are quiet, very energy efficent and leave the roof free of clutter.

The Walker solution wil be VERY noisy in the rear where you want to keep addtional noise down.
Ray D (205.171.72.27)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:15 am:   

My buddy had a system like that, his did not work very well. There just wasn't enough air that got clear to the front, he tried booster fans and was always working on it, he was never satisfied with it and it was very noisy in the bedroom. It wasn't a Walker coach.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.90.28)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:40 am:   

Arthur,

What units are you intending to use? Does the company have a website? Thanks.

Peter.
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:57 am:   

Walker Coach. . . the masters of Adobe PhotoShop.

Be VERY, VERY careful if you have any intention of spending money at Walker - they do NOT have the best reputation. . .

FWIW,

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
Arthur (24.34.91.107)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:58 am:   

Peter,

I bought 3 units from this company.

http://genieac.com/MINISPLITSALL.htm

They are the best price on the net.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.90.28)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   

Thanks Arthur,

I had mislayed this site. I wonder if anyone makes a split system to use with ducted a/c?

Peter.
two dogs (66.90.216.8)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 4:36 pm:   

I really don't know what you guys are talking about..never heard of a split system & no roof clutter..I'm interisted..that "site" didn't really say that much..where are the units installed ? and is there someplace where I can get LOTS more information ?(3 units for 1500,maybe I read that wrong..I'll do almost anything to keep from cutting holes in the roof of the Eagle..
arthur (24.34.91.107)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 5:28 pm:   

The mini split system are divided (split) into 2 parts:

1) The compressor
2) The condensor

You mount the compressor unit in a bay (with adequate ventilation) and pipe to the condensor unit inside the coach.

I am mounting 1 condensor at the rear facing forward, 1 at the front above driver area facing backward and 1 in the middle facing sidewards.

In my case there is a 3 foot area over the engine in a Neoplan that is vacant that I can put the compressors in.

A while back I exchanged emails with a couple of fellows who had used them with GREAT results.

I see the positive side as; 1) The are much more energy efficient that standard roof airs 2) They are much quieter because the compressor (the noise maker)is separate and outside the coach interior 3) They also make heat. 4) The are computer controlled with remotes and are much more flexible 5) No roof holes 6) No added height 7) They cost less than a roof air with heat.

The only negative is that they do take up wall space inside but I beielve it is a fair trade. The inside units are about 30" long 8" High aND 7" thick. Not really that bad a trade.

Two Dogs, if you search the net for "mini split air conditioners" there are sites with more diagrams. There is not any information on that site because they are a low cost supplier only.

Hope that is helpful.

Email me if you want to know more arthurJBXXXX@attbi.com Just remove the Xs.
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   

Arthur -

I think you meant evaporator for the part that goes inside the living quarters, or am I missing something?

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
Arthur (24.34.91.107)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:10 pm:   

Thanks RJ you are right

I had just got up from my nap.

Surgery really can make you a zombie
Dale MC8 (66.81.139.25)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 7:29 pm:   

two dogs, you can find a lot of conversation on this bbs about july 2002 by using the keyword search. it was good enough conversation that I bought a system. don't know how it works yet because I haven't installed it. But I'm hopeful.

FWIW

Dale MC8
bobm (68.35.161.23)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 8:45 pm:   

I use my generator to run a refrigeration compressor and it cools the bus by central a/c while generator is running
jmaxwell (66.42.92.19)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 9:01 pm:   

Arthur: I looked at the Hitachi units when I was considering the A/C. 1st of all if u are talking about a highway model Neoplan and plan on putting the condensing units in the dead space above the engine inside the engine compartment; bad idea. Hot air does not make a very good cooling medium. In the area of the Sutrak Road Air condensers is a good spot if u are eliminating the road air. Also, as u note, the evaporator units are large by any standards. Another drawback of split units is the potential of leaks due to the connecting tubing and the necessity of hiding it. Cruise Air makes evaporator units that are designed for a central duct system, but Cruise Airs are unreasonably expensive. About the only advantage of split systems to roof units is the elimnation of carbuncles on the roof, as FF would say. They are no more efficient and no cheaper than a comparably sized roof unit and certainly not easier to install, not to mention the scaricity of parts distributors when ure on the road and it quits.
jmaxwell (66.42.92.19)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 9:09 pm:   

As RJ points out, be weary of Walker. I presume he is using the Carrier roof units as the basis of his system. If that is so, 3 units will yield a max of 3 3/4 tons, since Carrier's largest unit is 15k btu, not the 4.5 he is claiming. He will also have to install (and make money on them in the process) new evaporator fans, since the ones supplied w/ the roof a/c units, even the ducted models, will not push air 40' (about 10' under free air conditions).
Arthur (24.34.91.107)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 9:11 pm:   

JM,

My area above the engine is sealed and insulated from the engine compartment and also has fresh air in and and air outlets to the rear. This bus had a roof air system (removed) and the rear compartment is empty. I dont see how it would get unreasonably hot.

I am not concerned about the tubing or hiding it.
FAST FRED (67.75.103.110)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 6:06 am:   

The split systems work very well as the noise is below the coach.

Biggest hassle is not too many units are 120V , be sure anything you buy is 120V,
as 240 campgrounds do not abound.

FAST FRED
don (Bottomacher) (216.130.152.51)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   

Arthur, the website lists a 120 volt unit on the home page, but says it is 240v in the specs. Which do you have?
Don
Arthur (24.34.91.107)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   

They have a 120 volt unit. It is just not listed correctly on the site.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration