Re-titling a bus Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Re-titling a bus « Previous Next »

Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach) (204.245.228.228)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 10:13 am:   

Over the years I have seen buses advertised with a different model year than what they had when the bus first was manufactured. For instance, I have seen some Flxible buses that have been converted that had model years several years newer than the last model year Flx ever made a bus.

Does anyone know for sure what exactly is required to re-title a vehicle with a new build date?

Thanks for your input.

Mark O.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.90.28)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

Mark,

When I did my bus, I had the option on how I wanted it titled.

Either as a MCI-8 motorhome of 1976 vintage or as a reconstructed 2000 whatever I wanted to call it. The latter involved lots of inspections and a very good chance of a much higher tag price as it would now be considered a new vehicle for valuation purposes.

I opted for the 1976 MCI-8 motorhome at $39 for 2 years.

Peter.
John Feld (204.184.224.2)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:55 am:   

Mark,

I'm taking a stab here as I have no first-hand knowledge, just information gleaned with dealers over the years.

It seems that a chassis, new or used, can be used for a re-manufacture that is 'approved' as an after-market builder. The end product must meet all DOT requirments at date of re-manufacture in order to be registered as 'new'. The builder then becomes the manufature and installs their VIN plate in place of the original. Not something you could do yourself, or Joe's Garage down the road.

In trucking we could buy a 'glider kit', a new cab and chassis, install our old engine, tranny and rear axle's and have it registered as the year of the cab and chassis, ie: a 2003 'kit' might in fact have 1990 components with a million miles on them, and be sold as a 2003! I beleive that now they make a title designation to show it as a 'kit', not sure as I have been out of that phase of trucking for several years now. Like anything else, there is always abuse of the system causing change.

Many stick and staple moterhomes purchase frame and engine, driveline chasis and then build on that. Old stock on hand is not returned, it may be two years old before being used, but is registered in the year completed. I would think (ASSume?) that this happens with commercial coach converters as well.

My thought's, time for the knowlegable to step in and set me streight.

John 4104
two dogs (66.90.216.8)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 4:25 pm:   

Also...not knowing about the bus, but I built a motorcycle,useing a 1947 harley frame,installed a chevy v-8 sideways in it & come time to title it ,it was titled as a 1981 "homebuilt"...'81 being the year it got it's title..I think it all depends on the mood of the clerk that does it..I've still got it, anybody want to buy it ?
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh) (172.158.93.160)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:14 pm:   

Prevost shells are sold as incomplete motor vehicles. The converter completes the vehicle and at that time certifies compliance with FMVSS's and titles the vehicle for the year of completion. Supposedly adds value to the conversion if it is titled a year newer but in my mind, it doesn't matter. Serial # says its a 1989 but title says its a 1990, then how come the shell doesn't have anything that the 1990 has, like updated headlights and 12v bulbs everywhere on the exterior? Makes a mess out of a parts order. I just had a friend buy a brand new one and had it titled 2 years newer than its manufacture date since it sat on the lot for 2 years. When it comes time to trade, he thinks it will make a difference of a couple hundred thousand dollars. We'll see.

Jim
Ross Carlisle (Ross) (216.107.195.222)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 12:31 am:   

" I just had a friend buy a brand new one and had it titled 2 years newer than its manufacture date since it sat on the lot for 2 years. "

Thats an intersting trick. That would be like buying a 2001 leftover in 2003, but titling as a 2003, not a 2001 as the MCO states.

How do you pull that off? ..... Since all the paperwork with the vehicle says it's two years old.

Unless of course, you're talking about a new leftover bus motor home shell.....

Ross
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh) (172.136.103.126)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

That's exactly what he did. Took a 2001 and the converter, Vantare I think, retitled it for him as a 2003. This guy buys new conversions frequently. I guess they needed to treat him right to keep him coming back. As I said in my last post, we'll see when it comes time to trade what the value is.

Jim
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.146)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   

Varies by state. Some states it's a real hassle. Others it's a piece of cake. I looked into to it for us but decided it was too much hassle in TN. We like Public campgrounds best anyway. Mostly that is for selling purposes. Go to your sate's DOT website for the info.

Lorna
Ross Carlisle (Ross) (216.107.195.143)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 10:20 pm:   

Ah...So he converter did it. I was wondering who you'de have to pay off at the town hall to get an old bus titled as a new bus. I don't think they'd go for that.

The converter must get an MCO with the shell. The rig is then titled in the year it is first registered, or first sold to its new owner. Thats how it worked when I was in the kit car business.

Ross
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.73.112.211)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   

One question I was asked when I took my 1977 MCI for the change of title was, "Where is the second VIN number?". They explained to me that by 1977, motorhomes had 2 VINs, one issued by the chassis manufacturer and the second one issued by the body builder.

I don't think the inspector believed me when I said that this 40ft bus did not have a seperate chassis.

They could not find a value for "new" price to work out the current value. MCI, Eagle, or Prevost do not figure in the Price Guide that Arizona uses. So they went with a Thompson school bus to value it, when I said "It's just like a school bus".

Peter.
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 1:59 pm:   

REMEMBER - every state is different, and you have a strong chance that every local tag office in the state will have a different twist to add to it.

In Missouri (pronounced misery) the whole issue is wide open. By staying a 1983 MC9 but calling it a motorhome, I was able to keep the Personal Property Tax to the minimum amount possible which is $35 I believe, as well as drive it with a common drivers license. If I title it as a new remanufactured vehicle, it is valued by age and type and I would pay BIG BUCKS. As it is now, as I convert it and add value, my personal property tax will not change.

Doug
St Louis MC9

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration