4104 exhaust???????/ Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » 4104 exhaust???????/ « Previous Next »

dounan (65.96.85.207)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 8:39 pm:   

i'm trying to go from single to dual exhaust
as far as i know i have the right manifolds and the correct mufflers ---however the muffler near the bellhousing has no cleaance to put a tail pipe on , because the exhaust comes down 1 inch from the turnbuckle on the torsion bar.
do i have to relocate the end of the torsion bar???????/ drop it down to the bottom edge of the cradle??/
thanks dounan
John Feld (204.184.224.27)

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:28 am:   

dounan, mine is just the other way around. The guy I bought it from had new mufflers put one, I wanted to add pipes under the engine and out. The rear pipe is fine, the front has no room. I shook my head and crawled back out from under.

My thoughts, why not remove the muffler, have the top flange re-positioned and then re-mount the muffler? Only thing holding me up is that its not going to be easy to get at the manifold flange, for now I have other issues more important.

John 4104
John Rigby (63.185.81.0)

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   

dounan
my mufflers are the same one one the rad side no problem, one one the tranny side has a tight 90 elbow that sits in the frame angle. Maybe you can cut some off both muffler pipes to get you more room for the 90.
My mufflers are straight through stampco.
John Rigby 4104
Luke Bonagura (Lukeatuscoach) (12.90.11.197)

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   

Hi Folks:
For every question, there is an answer!!!!
I think I figured it out today and have already talked to Doonan.

We had a late model 4104 in the shop today and I went down under it on the pit to look at the clearance between the stub of the chatter bar and the bottom of the "dual verticle" muffler

The chatter bar end was close to the right side of the muffler, if you were standing at the back the coach looking forward.

Both mufflers, which are oval, had their bottom outlets toward the radiator side of the coach.

My best "Guess" is that on the early 4104's which had two horizontal mufflers, which layed one over the other, had the chatter bar in a position closer to the radiator side of the coach.

When GM went to the verticle mount mufflers, it would appear they moved the chatter bar closer to the transmission side of the engine cradle so as not to interfere with the verticle mufflers.

It just amazes me that after 41 years in the business, the learning curve for this guy is still alive & well and that's what makes it FUN!!!!

The solution for Dounan & others with a similar problem will probably be to respoition the chatter bar on the early 4104's further toward the trans. end of the cradle, or lower on the cradle to allow clearance for the tail pipe.

I Hope this HELPS!!!!

LUKE at US COACH
califbob (165.247.225.214)

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 1:35 am:   

I may be missinig the boat on this one, but on my 04 before I put on the turbo, both mufflers were conected directly to the exhaust manifold and nothing but pipe coming on down and out the rear.
dounan (65.96.85.207)

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 6:56 am:   

the mufflers are direct to the manifolds.
the problem was the rear muf was exhausting 3/4" from the turnbuckle on the 'chatterbar'.
the solution, for me ,is to drop that end of the chatterbar from the top edge of the frame to bottom edge, with that changing the angle it should give me about 3".
thanks all for the input.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration