Solar power anyone? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » July 2003 » Solar power anyone? « Previous Next »

Adame (129.82.52.233)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:54 pm:   

Anyone out there using solar panels on your bus?
How many watts? What do you run on them? Are you happy with your system ? How much of your total house electrical load is solar powered. What have I over looked besides having to park in the sun when there might be shade. Thanks.

Bob
jmaxwell (66.42.92.17)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 2:01 am:   

What have u overlooked? For starters, some of the highest priced, undependable, electricity u can buy! Unless u like to live like a Tibetan Monk, you don't have enough room on your roof for the panels to supply your needs. Next, consider the battery bank to match it (which is more reliable than the solar system)and the inverter to convert it to something usable for the toaster,tv, blender, etc. All of which can be replaced by a generator at a fraction of the cost per watt and is available for use at the push of a button (try that with solar at midnight)! Yes, I have a solar system on my current ride, 240 watts w/ 4 6v deep cycles and a Trace U2512. Thank God for shore power and the 7kw genset. Consider this, usually you're out and about during the day and if it is a clear day, the solar is working, making power, but I'm out or gone, and I don't need any power. The sun starts to set, I come back and need power, the solar quits now. Does this sound right?
Phil (204.89.170.126)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 7:57 am:   

WHile I do not have a solar panel on my current unit I did have a small one on my old one. It worked great to keep the batteries "topped off" while the unit sat between uses. Other than that the 7.5 QD and 4 golf cart batteries and 1500 watt inverter works for me.
Michael J (Mjryan) (67.41.243.236)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 4:48 pm:   

Bob
I have been using solar power since 1990 on my rig and recently on the houseboat. I have not had the problems as describe above. Do your homework solar is not the answer for all things, but it beats a noisy generator. I have four panel, 8 solar batteries (6v), Heart 2k inverter and the bells and whistle to make it go. Yes I use the noisy generator on the rig (for air) but have none on the boat (no air).
Michael j
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (66.155.188.163)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:19 pm:   

I have four 64 watt panels on top(all operational). Before I put them in service, I was haveing a tough time keeping the bus batteries going. Usually at least on battery failed per year.
After I connected the regulators in tothe bus batteries, the batteries have been up to snuff ever since, no more battery problems. These batteries have also been used (temporarily) to feed the 12/24v on the bus (basically lighting and some control voltages.
As the other poster stated, no good for Air Con, need the Genny for that, but for light DC loads, an excellant option. There is also a technology that has panels that are almost double the wattage per panel so it getting even better now.
Understand that the panels need sun to make power, shade and trees will make almost no power for you.
Hope this is helpful.
"Imagine Your Dreams" cd
Dale MC8 (66.81.142.169)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   

Bob, something I learned the hard way, put your panels over someplace that it doesn't matter when the sun shines on them. My first PV installation was right over the bed. Meant that the bedroom area had to be in the sun, Awfull warm on some days. Next installation will be over the kitchen where I will be making the most heat anyway. The bedroom can be parked in the shade.
My 2 cents
Dale
Ross Carlisle (Ross) (216.107.193.114)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:17 pm:   

Where is the best source for solar stuff. I'd like to put a panel or two on the 24V start batteries.

Thanks...Ross
gabby (67.28.109.17)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   

I have had 3 coaches and put solar on each one. I used 2 150watt semens panels on the latest coach. The panels, 3600watt trace inverter, trace controller and remote panel cost me 2800 bucks. The system works great but can't run A/C. The system is quiet, the battries last longer and the pannels shade the roof top.
Doug (68.83.22.146)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 6:52 am:   

www.solarpath.com
have had mine on for 3 years now.......best battery performance I have had
jared (69.20.138.76)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 12:12 am:   

I am building my bus to operate completely off grid with only the onboard 24v generator as backup on my RTS.

I just installed 12 75 watt panels, 12 Trojan golf cart batteries, a solar boost, trace 4024 inverter, and of course no power hungry appliances like standard refigerators and air conditioners.

I opted for extra heavy insulation by blowing in 2-1/2 inches of polyurethane into every crevice I could muster. I am also covering the entire roof with lofts built from foam core composites and a deck that is uses 1/4 inche of plywood laminated to a 1 inch foam core composite substrate. This will keep the entire bus top from ever seeing direct sunlight.

I am constucting the rig now, and in 100 degree Idaho summer weather, I can feel a great improvement in interior temperature--No air conditioners will ever be needed.

For a refrigerator, I used the conserve chest unit, that has 4 inches of polyurethane insulation in the entire casing.

Research is the name of the game here, but in spite of some earlier postings, solar is by far the most reliable means of producing power you will find. It is not a cheap alternative initially, but if you do it correctly, and insulate well, you will get your $$ back by way of cheaper or no electric bills.

-Jared 1988 RTSII
FAST FRED (67.75.112.11)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 5:54 am:   

For a refrigerator, I used the Conserve chest unit, that has 4 inches of polyurethane insulation in the entire casing. "

There are also marine units that will freeze a eutetic plate during the day time , when there is "extra" power , and not beat on the batts much at night.

Like anything specialized that works well , not cheap.

Weather there will ever be a "payback" is up to the user.

For folks that value SILENCE,
the ability to live without a Noisemaker is invaluable!!

FAST FRED

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration