Injectors upgrade for a 6-71 BOAT ENGINE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » July 2003 » Injectors upgrade for a 6-71 BOAT ENGINE « Previous Next »

FAST FRED (67.75.110.75)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 5:54 am:   

I inserted the BOAT ENGINE part in the header so the "purists" can skip the post.

The problem is in selecting smaller injectors for a boat that is no longer a Navy vessel , & no longer has free unlimited fuel & maint.

The engine is a Grey marine 6-71 which was built to lighter tank fuel into a combat area during WWII.

The unit is set up with Advanced timing and HV90 (90cc)injectors, which is way too large for the current service.
225HP at 2100 "Battle" RPM with very limited service life expected.

In cruising we run 1500 RPM and get about 3.3 gal per hour fuel burn , at 1600 abour 3.9..

This works out to be about 50 to 60 hp.

With the "old style" inline injectors to go "modern" would require both new jumper lines and new rocker arms. A bit pricy for me.

One supplier claims to have rebuilt old style injectors that have been machined to accept the newer N style injector tips ( more efficent) and can supply them in N-50 and up in sizes.

Has anyone heard of this type modification ?

DD always built the engines to a specific HP output by varing injector size (or cylinder count).
But hacksawing the 6-71 into a 3-71 sounds like a lot of work!

Does anyone have a HP graph for small ( 50 , 55, 60)injectors for a 6-71?.

I realize this is backwards from what most bus converters dream of (usually more HP and faster fuel tank emptying) . but with only 2- 90 gal tanks , this would be a rather big boat to row.

Any help is usefull,

FAST FRED
chris (208.180.160.152)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 6:07 pm:   

You can have your old HV injectors modified into the newer N style with internal mods. this makes them A direct replacement. Some dealers in our area keep these in stock.
FAST FRED (67.75.106.250)

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 6:21 am:   

Would appreciate it if you could pass on a phone # , as I am still looking for a set , and a graph or??? that relates the injector size to HP output at the lower (1200 to 1800rpm) speeds.

The best is called a fuel map , but there hard to find .

FAST FRED

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration