Hot Glue? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » Hot Glue? « Previous Next »

R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.134)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 7:48 pm:   

Having used it in myself in cabinet making for routing, planing, template holding, etc, I wonder if anyone has used it in their coach, affixing trim, etc?

Question is, how does it hold up over time with the heat, severe cold, vibrations, and so on?

I am considering it as a possibility in place of screws and or nails on chair rail and other trim.
RCB
'64 Crown HWC
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.160)

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:44 pm:   

No no no no no....:) :) Forget the first "in".
Gseeesh!.
RCB
Ray D (205.171.72.27)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 1:01 am:   

We use hot melt glue to hold things temporary while the permanent glue dries. I have not found any that works good as a permanent adhesive
Bob Belter (64.164.115.240)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 5:00 am:   

Ho, BNO's'

Hot melt glue (the ordinary species),is only fit to glue together the sort of things which you don't much mind if they fall apart.

There are specialized hot melts (thermo setting), which are permanant, but your regular hot melt is a thermo plastic, and so behaves a bit like tar --things drift.

Yuh, I have some credentials in this field, as the designer of some hot melt application products.

Enjoy/s/Bob
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.205)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:47 am:   

Bob, if these specialized glues are available for consumer use,ie small quantities, what (and where) does one ask for?
Thanx
RCB
'64Crown HWC
jmaxwell (66.42.92.7)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 3:02 pm:   

If u want it to go down, stay down, and never to be removed, use urethane adhesive. This stuff is great! I use the PL brands for all kinds of stuff---wood, glass, metal, plastic(some), u name it. It's almost as good as JB Weld, which is better than baleing wire and duct tape.
Bob Belter (67.121.1.109)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   

Ho, RC,

The specialized hot melts -- Thermo setting --
are really just that. The applicator system stays hot all the time. When you shut it off, you have a (small but costly) boat anchor. It is NOT a consumer product. Just use urethane, and you have a great adhesive. Epoxys are great, but far more sensitive to cleaning and proccess.

Enjoy/s/Bob
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.171)

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:38 am:   

Actually, I am constructing the interior of the coach so that down the line, whether it be me or someone else, it can be dismantled, altered, added to or deleted without destroying anything. That is true from the bulkheads to the final trim pieces.

With that in mind, Bob, do you feel that hot glue, used sparingly but spaced frequently, on say a chair rail, base trim board or other substantial, but not structural piece, will hold? As I recall there are several different types of this glue. I use a LOT of polyurethane and agree that it is almost indestructable. But I don't want to have to replace an entire side just to remove a base board or chair rail ( behind which I have the electrical chase).

Thanx.

RCB '64 Crown HWC
Jim Wilke (12.46.52.74)

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 1:46 pm:   

About 20 years ago there were lots of little companies that made furniture held together with hot melt glue. They're all gone here in Florida 'cause the furniture fell apart in the summer!

If you want to cover a wire chase with a baseboard or similar, use industrial Velcro. That's what they use on megayachts to hold the ceilings up but allow access to wiring, ducts, etc above. The Velcro strips have pretty aggressive adhesive but they usually staple it too for insurance. If the panel could get out of line & look crooked, they drill the panel before upholstering & use locating dowels to assure easy off/on.
Jim-Bob
john marbury (Jmarbury) (65.100.118.185)

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   

Where can I get Industrial Velcro?
John
Jim W (64.12.96.235)

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 4:12 pm:   

I'll find a source next week & post it.
Jim-Bob
M & C Jenkins (Gaelicforce) (67.168.49.157)

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

I found industrial velcro at Sam's wholesale club
Ace (24.28.44.126)

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 6:46 am:   

I found this site because I use their products when it comes to glueing up our race tires. They specialize in many applications!

www.cyberbond1.com

Ace

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration