A BRITER, whiter headlight for your b... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » A BRITER, whiter headlight for your bus....... « Previous Next »

SLCs GMC (198.29.191.148)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 7:28 pm:   

Gents, and Ladies

Sylvania has a new bulb offering for your headlights in sealed beam and selected Halogen replacments.

It is called SilverStar and is rated just under the HID lamps. They are claimed to have a briter, whiter light and a fantastic beam on the street. They are a little more expensive than regular lamps but cheaper than the HID/Special production lamps and energy consumption seems to be in par with the old headlamps depending on your selection.

For more information hit this link.....
http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

They are by far better than your Original Equipment headlamps so the change out would be well worth it.

Take a look and enjoy

SLC
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:12 pm:   

Interesting new product, thanks for the link, SLC.

As for me, IMHO it's just what we need, brighter bulbs in the poorly-controlled US Code headlamps. Additional annoying glare for oncoming traffic is the result.

OTOH, it would be real interesting to install these bulbs in some good European Code headlamps (such as Cibies, Hellas or Marchals), where the optical control is much tighter and glare isn't a problem. . .

FWIW,

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
Scott Cavanaugh (66.169.172.64)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 9:39 pm:   

Kinda funny everyone griped about the halogen when they first came out, stanb-by they will be OEM in a few more years.
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 9:45 pm:   

Scott -

I'm not complaining about the halogen lights. Most cars have them nowdays anyway.

I'm complaining about the poor optics and light output pattern of our US Code headlamps, some of which are so poor that you're outdriving them at 45 - 50 mph! ('91 - '94 Chrysler Corp mini-vans, for example. . . which had halogen bulbs!)

Don't even get me started on the current trend of plastic lenses that turn opaque w/in 4-5 years, further reducing the already poor light output. . .

RJ
JohnRigby (24.174.236.244)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 9:56 pm:   

It reminds me of driving my 4104 on the oem head lights.
But since ive changed to cibies it turns night into day and now its a pleasure to drive at night.
John
Brian Houk (65.41.120.12)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   

Not for anything, but when I picked up my MCI 96A3 and drove her home, she wasn't ready till after dark. I had to drive right through the night, and I was really pleased with the halogens that were installed on her. RARELY did I feel the need to resort to high beams when the opportunity presented itself. One can only imagine what Silver Stars would be like!
Brian
Scott Cavanaugh (66.169.172.64)

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 7:32 pm:   

Sorry RJ didn't mean to come across to as you where gripping. I just remember as a kid all the adults complaining about the "new" halogen lights on new cars. I guess I was refering to the HIG lamps that the Lexus and BMR's now sport.
Yellow plastic, gotta love Lexan

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration