Cell Phone internet with a Mac? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Cell Phone internet with a Mac? « Previous Next »

Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 2:24 pm:   

Anyone out there using cell phones to connect with the internet and a Mac laptop? Does the cell phone have to be used as a telephone with a modem and dialup connection, or are any of you out there using things like the Verizon cards that connect directly to the internet via the cell network? (ie do those little cards work in Mac laptops?)

Gary
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.79.46)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   

I have the AT&T GSM/GPRS service.

I used the Sierra wireless card, but I have changed to the Siemens SX56 Phone/PDA. I have not yet connected my Siemens to my notebook (USB) but I should be before long.

I get from 17 - 42K on the Siemens.

Verizon has the Express network, that I understand has ~100K effective.

I understand that Sprint has good bandwidth as well, and is going to start rolling out a 1Mb plan that will increase to 2, 3, 4, then ultimately 5 megabit connections. This is unabashed rumor and I consider it vaporware until I see it myself.

In overriding concern is that all services are not available in all areas. I need service in the southern Willamette Valley in Oregon, so AT&T is the only option available for me.

Your Mileage may vary.

Gary (The other one)
Marty R. (199.177.63.2)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   

I have Nextel "Packet StreamGold" Which is about $54.99 per month for unlimted internet. I'm using the iM1100 Wireless modem. I also purchased an external antenna which is GREAT! This is a must if you're going to be using this unit. I'm not sure what the speeds are, it says 19.2k when I connect but at times it seems faster than that.

They also offer this service with a few cell phones. They seem to have a pretty good area of coverage, and with the external antenna the siganl strength is great.
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.16)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   

I and others use the Verizon wireless phone, normal service, and a data cord to the laptop. It costs you nothing but the airtime (unlimited night and weekend so who cares) Works great, except that you can only do it in a DIGITAL receiving area, too often it seems a truck stop is out in the boonies in an analog area only, then you gotta wait till you move on if you had your heart set on an evening of surfing.
jim mci-9 (209.240.198.60)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 5:37 pm:   

i use sprint.... a kyocera 2035 cell... data cable and program for sprint.... $5 extra for data useage,, and your'e using airtime....but it works great... 19kb... older gateway laptop...windows 95...
Gary Carter (68.24.219.95)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 5:51 pm:   

I use sprint vision and 100K but there is no Mac software. Sorry
Chris4106 (140.186.41.145)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 7:54 pm:   

If you have Verizon service you can interface it to your Mac laptop. First download the software from the Verizon Wireless site, free, then you'll need a cable adapter to connect the 7 pin socket on the Verizon cable to a usb port on your Mac, about 30 dollars. I use both the Mac and a Windows machine thru this connection. The Windows machine is faster but the Mac works at an acceptable level.

Peter
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   

T-Mobile has unlimited time GPRS service for $29. It works the same is AT&T and has the same footprint (coverage area). Speed averages around 33K on both networks (they operate the same and are the same technology). If you buy the card or handset for one company's service, you can convert to the other at minimal charge (usually the cost of the SIM). I use T-Mobile service when I travel (company travel to medium to large cities) and it works at all those locations. My son uses a "sidekick" device with the same GPRS interface and has coverage loss in the usual wide open parts of the west where not many people live, but all cities have coverage at this point. (Son drives an 18 wheeler).

Sprint and Verizon have a different network that shows promise as a very fast network, but it is still in the final stages of de-bugging. It works most places, but they have issues they are fixing. It will be much faster than the current GPRS, but the new technology following GPRS will be faster than the CDMA that Sprint/Verizon use.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice"

My $0.02 worth

Doug
St Louis MC9
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   

OH yeah - Cingular is converting to GSM/GPRS but I don't know how far they have gotten yet.
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.79.46)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   

Again--There is new stuff on the Horizon, especially with sprint.

If you're in a hurry, Verizon has the best performance now, at 100 - 144K but if the coverage does not work for you then you're stuck with GSM/GPRS (Like Me) Frequently at 17K

If you're not in a hurry, I'd watch SprintPCS offering REALLY closely.

Gary

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration