Stripping and repainting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Stripping and repainting « Previous Next »

ruth and jim beaudrow (66.185.85.68)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:38 am:   

Know soda blasting or sand blasting is probably easiest way to get rid of exterior paint off our 66 flxible, but is there any recomendations on stripper to use ---know it will be messy, but just checking out cheaper options, since we are looking for a bit larger bus. Anyone got opinions???
two dogs (67.30.23.66)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 3:16 am:   

hard to understand what you want,striping is a NASTY job,how many times has it been painted,are you going to paint the flix ,bigger bus ? sandblasting is not what you want,warps metal,just a fast way to screw things up
john marbury (Jmarbury) (65.100.118.17)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 8:29 am:   

Local Co. tried Soda blasting but after 3 hrs, and 3 bags of soda, only 4X5 panel done. preseeded to use Airplane stripper. Got it at local Auto Piant store. You can get it at WallMart but I've only seen it there in Spray Cans. Very tedious and messy but, ultimatly, worth it.
John
two dogs (67.30.23.44)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:22 am:   

everything depends on present paint condition,unless it's been painted a NUMBER of times..no need for striping...come on in here Don & help me convince them...
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.99.4)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:58 am:   

Jasco Gold is the serious stuff, be careful what you get it on.

As for Media blasting, we just blasted our early '74 MGB, no damage to the panels.

Sandblasting is not as bad as it sounds, nor as expensive, as long as you have a decent compressor.

But you do need to have a good operator.

Gary
Jay Gerlick (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   

I soda blasted my MCI 9. It took 1800 pounds of soda at $25.00 per 50 pound bag. The use of the soda blaster was free (friend). It took 20 hours. And IT SUCKED BAD.!!! The finished product is amazing. All the sufaces need the scrubed down with a viniger and water solution to neutralize the soda. And use epoxy primers only. Two draw backs, When use go down to bare metal it takes all the old bondo from previous repairs out too. So lots of body work, if your coach has been knocked around a little by low tree limbs. Also the soda gets everywhere !!! We did it on a nice windy day, so the whole industral park where the bus is was covered. Looked like a light snow fell in July. Should be all painted by the end of OCT.
Gary Carter (68.24.241.183)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 1:14 pm:   

On our 4106 I sand blasted the roof only with little warpage.

On the side I used the cheapest stripper I could find and applied it with an old paint spray gun. After the stripper had done it job, removed it with a pressure washer.

Best part was all the rivit joints were clean
Jim and Ruth Beaudrow (66.185.85.68)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   

Thanks for all the imput guys, we started using stripper, just to see the results and so far is pretty good. pressure washing it off. The next steps we are not too sure about, may just take it out for paint,but may tackle it. We don't get all the same products you get in the states,so have to check out the primers etc. Must you etch first, then the alodine , then the primer??? And what of the weather, been raining here alot lately and the bus is outside.
Phil (24.195.252.50)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 7:10 pm:   

Be sure to remove ALL the stripper. It will get into the seams and cause corrosion to come out after the paint work. A lot of airplanes are damaged years after the paint job due to very small amounts of stripper that were not removed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration