Onan Genset Problem. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Onan Genset Problem. « Previous Next »

Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.88.114)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:02 am:   

I am borrowing a friends motorhome which has an Onan gas genset Microlite 4000. It starts on the button, but only runs anything from 5 secs to 20 secs before appearing to cut out. Seems to be like a sensor playing up as it immediately restarts when you push the start button, but stops again.

Have checked to over/under oil level, the fuse and the mixture altitude settings, any ideas? Thanks.

Peter.
Pete RTS/Daytona (209.165.4.204)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   

The electronics board contains a circuit that usually energizes a relay to keep the Genny and fuel pump runing - if oil pressure/engine temp/voltage are in order - for safety reasons - it's just not as simple as a lawn mower ignition - unfortunately - but with a circuit diagram and a test meter/probe - fairly easy to fix - or have the board tested - replacements are expensive - but i've used radio shack parts to repair them
Bill 340 (172.167.211.168)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   

Pete my generac just did the exact same thing, turned out that it was the needle valve that allows the fuel into the carb was dirty and stuck, Pull the float off and clean the needle under the hinge. Hope this helps BILL
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.88.114)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 9:19 pm:   

Thanks Guys,

I will check this all out tomorrow.

Anyone anymore suggestions?

Peter.
Lee Brady (Leeb11) (63.183.169.85)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   

Pete
Ive got an older onan and if you dont hold the start button long enough it will fire up then quit.
Try holding the button about 5 seconds and see if that will work for you.
Lee 66 01
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   

The low oil sensor sometimes causes this. If you can trace this out and disconnect it, and see if works properly. Usually a single wire leading from the oil pan area.
Richard

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration