House batt hookup? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » February 2011 » House batt hookup? « Previous Next »

Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 66.87.0.143

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 2:21 am:   

As if things weren’t tough enough, I’m now forced to show the full extent of my ignorance. I was embarrassed to ask until I found that nobody around here can give me an answer. And I’m in an RV park with dozens of battery dependent fellow travelers, many of whom are ‘hands-on’ types (plumbers, welders and such). Who’d a thunk?

Anyway, I’m trying to tie one ‘set’ of 6v g.c. batts (12v total) to another ‘set’ of same (total of four 6v batts making 12v output). To spare you questions, I understand the difference between series and parallel. What I DON’T understand is the typical diagram used for illustration.

The diagram for paralleling two 12v batts is obvious: NEG to NEG & POS to POS, with the cables terminating at the terminals (duh).

The diagram for two 6vs is obvious too (already got that done).

But the diagram for FOUR 6v batts shows the POS parallel cable NOT terminating at the terminal, but going past it and (mysteriously) into the coach ‘hot’ lead. And the NEG (ground) cable shunting into the 2nd ‘set.’

The links I’m looking at:

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/08/rv-batteries-6-or-12-volts-that-is.html

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Okay, I know it’s kindergarten for you guys but I don’t get it.

Please be merciful…

Nellie
Jim Wilke (Jim Bob) (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 584
Posted From: 184.0.13.120

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 9:34 am:   

Nellie,
If I am paralleling 4 6V batteries to make 12 volts, I use two strings of "two 6V batteries in series" arrangements. I ground the negatives of both "strings". I parallel the two strings by connecting the 12V positives together and connecting the house load to that.

It's really the same in function as two 12 volt batteries in parallel except you are making each 12v battery out of two six volt ones.

I sent a sketch to your "music" e-mail. Hope it helps.
Edward J. Sommers (Sommersed)
Registered Member
Username: Sommersed

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 148.63.161.138

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 10:19 am:   

The usual problem for people is in thinking of four batteries of six volts when they are wiring a 12 volt system.

You have all the knowledge you need already, all you have to do is to think in 12 volt terms once you have two six volt batteries end to end with a 2\0 (or so) wire joining them at the closest positive to negative. At this point there it IS a 12 volt battery, forget about that positive to negative connection, hide it, cover it up, use a flattened out copper tubing rather than the wire, whatever . . . it does not exist!

Now use it, and others like it as you would an encased 12 volt battery.

Ed
Don Evans (Doninwa)
Registered Member
Username: Doninwa

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 208.81.157.234

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 12:54 am:   

Nellie, take a look at this site.

http://www.solarseller.com/battery_bank_wiring_diagram.htm

Under the 12V section in the middle is your layout. Four 6Vs in a series/parallel arrangement. Note that the positive and negative hookups are diagonal across the bank. This gives the most equalized draw and charge to all the batteries.

As mentioned in other posts about your starting batteries, bad idea to hook up old battery with new. Usual result is more bad batteries, quickly.

Good luck.
Don4107

(Message edited by doninwa on February 03, 2011)
Donald P H (Eagle19952)
Registered Member
Username: Eagle19952

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 75.204.21.9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 12:59 am:   

Keeping in mind what has been said, each 12V arrangement (no matter how derived) (each seperate set) can be parralled.
Read here to realize the OPTIMUM wiring for your/any application.
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Note the final paragraph:
"And finally, finally, we keep getting asked where the chargers should be connected to. We didn't address this question because it seemed so blatantly obvious where they should be connected that it never occurred to us that anyone might be unsure. The chargers should always be connected to the same points as the loads. Without exception."
George M. Todd (George_todd)
Registered Member
Username: George_todd

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 99.11.187.108

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   

Nellie,

The smartgauge link has been posted here before, and well discussed.

I'm not knocking it, but methods 3 and 4 are splitting hairs 3 and 4 ways. Method 2 is the reasonable way to hook up parallel batteries, period. His other methods are adding theoretical values that most of us don't think are realistic.

Back to your original question, the "hot" lead from the bottom pair of batteries doesn't actualy disappear into the coach, it is electrically in parallel with the top set of batteries. The diagram should have a large dot where the splices occur, which would simplifiy things.
HTH,
G

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration