GPS trucking software Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » February 2011 » GPS trucking software « Previous Next »

Phil Smith (Phil_smith)
Registered Member
Username: Phil_smith

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 24.117.204.26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 9:21 am:   

On the other board, a suggestion for 'trucking' GPS software was made.....BW..I think..

Which of those found on Google works good ?

Just askin

phil
Brandon Merritt (Brando4905)
Registered Member
Username: Brando4905

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 74.97.202.177

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:17 am:   

Phil,

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B001TH76JQ/ref=sr_ 1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298214557&sr=8-1

We have two of these, one for bus and one for truck and equipment trailer. They can be set up for your vehicles size, and so far it has kept me out of trouble. Comes in handy in cities, giving you a route that is truck or bus friendly.

I think there are other truck gps systems available now, but i'm happy with the Garmin.

Brandon
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 1462
Posted From: 97.214.119.131

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:19 am:   

We've used Co-Pilot for years...no real complaints.

FWIW
RCB
C. K.. Sparks (Kozycade)
Registered Member
Username: Kozycade

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 71.161.40.2

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:07 am:   

I use Copilot (now version 8 and I think they are now up to Ver.11) for myself which has fantastic features but is a Laptop based sowtware app. Be sure not to wast your money like i did first time around and go the the waterproof reciver.

My trucks all have Rand McNally TND 700 which is a dash monted 7" unit I also highly recomend.

Heres the link to the company i deal with which they have really upgrade there web presence and has alot of information and products to peak through.

http://www.dieselboss.com/travrout/cptruck.htm

Kade
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 2036
Posted From: 174.89.174.209

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 12:09 pm:   

Same here. Garmin 465T for quick portability and small footprint.

Slip-seat part-time coach driver, laptop would be a huge public relations nightmare, distracted driving complaints, never mind the logistics!

The laptop options are great to choose from when you can privately control the cab environment!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1244
Posted From: 71.55.4.4

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:06 pm:   

Just recieved a notice for the state of SOUTH CAROLINA!! In some parts they[State] have installed radar cameras and are functional and if you are driving in the areas it will record your SPEED and license,like red light cameras and they will send you a HEFTY ticket in the mail and will prosecute if necessary. It also stated that it will be for even 1-2 miles per hour over the speed limit posted. Any further info is needed on this too.

Gomer
Steven Foster (57_gmc)
Registered Member
Username: 57_gmc

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 72.156.216.251

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 6:10 pm:   

Gomer: If I dont get all my stuff working like I want it I will just let the BIG tow truck use his GPS LOL !!!!
Cable (Fe2_o3)
Registered Member
Username: Fe2_o3

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 74.110.84.128

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 8:31 pm:   

Had Copilot but had to turn around in a Moose Lodge in Red Bluff and a golf course near Lake Minden and in Cheney last summer. The Moose Lodge drew only stares. Both golf courses drew verbal suggestions on where to go and what to do there. Bought a Garmin 465T. Have been to 6 funerals since Oct., so far no issues...Cable
Phil Smith (Phil_smith)
Registered Member
Username: Phil_smith

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 24.117.204.26

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 8:38 pm:   

Were the funerals for the GOLFERS that gave you some crap?

Sorry - just kidding and insensitive.

Thanks for the suggestions.

phil
Richard Bruner (Somewhereinusa)
Registered Member
Username: Somewhereinusa

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 75.205.32.72

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 6:54 am:   

I have the Rand McNally TND700, it is absolutely the WORST GPS I've owned, extremely slow, hardly ever picks the best route, twice tried to route me under 12'4" railroad. And worst of all won't give any info past NEXT stop. You can enter as many stops as you like, just no info past the next stop. NO trip planning here. The only good thing about it is POI locations, although you can't add your own, and It's loud enough to be heard over a hurricane.
I purchased the PC Miler Navigator to replace it. Somewhat better, at least I can see next stop and mileage to last stop in a series for weekly planning. They say you can add your own POI's, but I haven't been able to get the csv file in the right order to have it accept my files. It also apparently puts all of your custom files into one big folder with no way to sort.

I now run those two at once just to get some of the info I used to get from one of my previous units.
The best I ever had was a Lowrance, but it's no longer made, next was Garmin Streetpilot 4500 ? the big one, but it's also no longer made.

It seems like everytime I find something I like, when it needs replaced the "new improved" model is dumbed down and loaded with "improvements" that I have no use for.
Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 96.253.163.11

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 2:55 pm:   

Hi all
I have had and used for the last year and a half a Tom Tom XXL really like it. Has large screen and shows up coming variations in lanes. Served us quite well in our 6500 mile trip last winter. Still haven't learned to use it to its best.
Larryd

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration