Thanks For the Genset Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » Thanks For the Genset « Previous Next »

Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 395
Posted From: 67.141.71.22

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 9:06 am:   

Thanks to McGyver and Fooie, I have a generator.

Mac was giving it away a while back and George picked it up for me on his way from Florida to the United States.
I was told it was probably seized, but it doesn't seem to be, although the carburetor linkage is frozen.
It turns out tho be a 12.5Kw Onan JC-3CR. 4 cylinder, air cooled, 1800rpm single phase.
My original plan was to replace the original engine and replace it with a small Isuzu diesel, but with the rise in fuel prices, I may just leave the gas engine on it and run a line to my old gasoline tank that fed the A/C engine on my PD4103.
After a bit of searching I found both the generator head manual and the engine service manual online.

Thanks Guys!

Woo-Hoo!
Derrick Thomas (Thomasinnv)
Registered Member
Username: Thomasinnv

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 66.82.9.57

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 12:54 am:   

did Florida defect from the union or what?
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 1454
Posted From: 66.82.9.59

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 8:08 am:   

did Florida defect from the union or what?

Unfortunatly my guess is Texas will beat us to it.

FF
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1251
Posted From: 71.55.4.4

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 8:44 am:   

Somebody just got ripped off and I wonder who?? Texas??

Gomer
George Martinez (Foohorse)
Registered Member
Username: Foohorse

Post Number: 383
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 12:16 am:   

We Cubans claimed it. HA!
Jim Wilke (Jim Bob) (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 598
Posted From: 184.0.13.120

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 9:27 am:   

Dallas, if you can easily replace the gas engine with the Isuzu, I would do it though I think you will have major housing /flywheel differences. I have a gasoline Onan using the fwd tank on my 4104. It is a pain because every time I want to go on a trip I have to rebuild the carb. Gas goes bad in 2-3 months untreated and 6 months treated these days.
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 398

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 9:36 am:   

Thanks Jim!!
I had wondered about the gasoline lifespan. My plan was to use it and fill as needed, until the trip ended, then pump the tank out into or VW Toad, leaving only enough to add some 'Stabil' to so I might not have to rebuild the carb.
Another plan would be to switch it to a gas/LP combination. I can buy the parts through our RV parts; part of the campground.

Switching from the Onan to an Isuzu shouldn't be too difficult, I think at worst I would have to have an adapter plate made for the bell housing.
This particular generator head was built in both a direct drive and a pto drive configuration, and if needed, I could hook it up as PTO or drive belt, which would save room in my tiny little bays!
Steven Foster (57_gmc)
Registered Member
Username: 57_gmc

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 72.156.216.251

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 6:18 pm:   

Hey Dallas just for information. If you can go buy some 100LL Avgas at you local airport and run it till it get in carb. it will last a long time. I run it here in my Onan when I worked on it in shop and I run it in pressure washer, the tug that pulls the aircraft around. You want have problem over the winter or long down times
Thanks
Steve
Jim Wilke (Jim Bob) (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 184.0.13.120

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 10:35 am:   

I was talking to a buddy who flies and he said the same thing about avgas. He never has any fuel problems.
Dallas, maybe the thing to do is have a two way valve so you could run from a gas can of avgas for 10 minutes at the end of a trip, then draw almost all the gas out of the big tank for car or mower use. I always intend to do that but never know when the last trip of the year is. My trip director keeps finding excuses to go for a bus ride.
Jim Sanders (Sandy)
Registered Member
Username: Sandy

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.199.96.250

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 2:02 pm:   

Dal I am running a 6.5Kw onan in my Rambler Compelty rebuilt(had) the engine in 1998 The mechenic Fixed my wireing to turn off the fuel pump run carb dry. Put in storage!!! To restart just hit button till it fires Works for me. No rebuilding carbs JIM
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member
Username: 91flyer

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 173.217.47.28

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 1:33 am:   

Dal... Mac here. :-)

You might rethink your plans for that generator I sent up to you... Onan no longer sells the rebuild kits, nor the carb that's currently on the unit. I looked into that possibility quite some time ago... Though, the genny was working perfectly at that time, aside from the choke falling off...

Anyway... The new carb setup you can get for that genny is a "dual fuel" carb. It accepts either gasoline, or propane. It's both in one carb... Not exactly sure how that works, but it's what was available at the time I looked...

And, the engine isn't siezed. I originally thought it was... but when Jorge and I loaded it, we had to take the fan cowling off... It was then that the squirrel cage (bolted to the crank I think) moved... It spun with the resistence expected from having spark plugs in place... so the engine should be just fine once you replace the plugs and such...

Just replace that carb, clean everything up and free up the linkages and such... and you should have a perfectly usable genny. It might be advisable to just do a complete teardown and rebuild it. It certainly couldn't hurt... And since it's air cooled, there isn't much to fuss with. Just get the exterior parts bead blasted so it's all nice and shiny again and apply that god-awful Onan Green! :-)

I wish I could send you the manuals I had for it... but they were in the garage I think when it all went up in flames. So, you're on your own for that one...

You're welcome for the genny. :-)

-Mac
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1262
Posted From: 69.69.20.25

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 1:53 pm:   

Mac GOOD TO HEAR From you hope that all is going well and you need to start a post of whazzzup? We need help with Jorge, we think he is possesed with try to find a way to bake,broil,fry Penquins. He needs help BAD!! LOL good to hear from you as stated and miss your comments too, along with others who just surf us and not let us in on anything LOL

gomer
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 414

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 2:20 pm:   

Thanks Mac, I have the PDF manuals.
Funny enough, I have a bunch of parts from a 4 banger Onan Diesel that are the same parts as this one.

I have also been known to take carb specs and find something else that will work just as well. As evidence, I had an old VW squareback come in to the shop with those horrible aftermarket carbs on it. It was beefed up to 1800CC and no matter what we did, couldn't make it work right.
We eventually took a mechanical injector from a junked 'vette engine and built an intake manifold for it. It was basically a SFI system, about 15 years before SFI was popular.
Later we changed to an electrically fired injector that worked much better off the impulse from the distributor.
That old squareback wagon is still running around a farm, hauling a couple of bales of hay.
My thought for the swap would be one of these, if I was set on a new engine:
http://www.smallenginedistributors.net/CAT.html

It's also what might go into our toad, although it would be a turbo version.

(Message edited by Dallas on March 03, 2011)
George Martinez (Foohorse)
Registered Member
Username: Foohorse

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 1:26 am:   

Marvin my obsession lies in trying to help my fellow man be eradicating the world of possessed penguins and corvairs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration